To Ludde: OpenTTD and Multiplayer

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

VPN-User
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

To Ludde: OpenTTD and Multiplayer

Post by VPN-User »

Hi,

love your game and all these great new features! I am a great fan of playing TTD in multiplayer and now I am wondering if OpenTTD is designed to do multiplayer better than TTD in the future when it is implemented?

TTD over a slow connection lags badly. Can this be avoided with OpenTTD or did you just copy Sawyers Assembler into C and have to deal with the same problems?
ludde
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by ludde »

OpenTTD has the same problem. Since the source is available it should be possible to fix if someone comes up with a good protocol.
http://sf.net/projects/openttd/
Post all your patches and feature requests here.
Vurlix
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Vurlix »

I intend to take that job.
http://sf.net/projects/openttd/
Post all your patches and feature requests here.
VPN-User
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by VPN-User »

Cool! Is there anything I can do that would help you with the job (except coding)? Conceptional stuff? I have many ideas.
Warspite
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Warspite »

having multiplayer working well in openttd is the main attraction for me :)
---------------------------
Warspite
Aspiring Poet
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

MP worcing in OTTD won't help me a iddy bit...
Noone in steigen plays TTD :cry:

(Steigen=The small place i call home)
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Zetor2003 wrote:MP worcing in OTTD won't help me a iddy bit...
Noone in steigen plays TTD :cry:

(Steigen=The small place i call home)
You are on the internet and the code should support that. When multiplayer is done, we should have somewhere to find eachother. I have never tried multiplayer either for the same reason
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

TTDPatch Alpha 2.0.1 20 & Higher has fixed multiplayer(i can play with my brother on TCP/IP, IPX Causes Disconnect Error 6 Mins After Game has Started)
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Owen is working on some kind of a Lobby for TTD internet play, maybe he can also get it working for OTTD.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

GoneWacko wrote:Owen is working on some kind of a Lobby for TTD internet play, maybe he can also get it working for OTTD.
It would be really nice if it is possible to registre your server somewhere, so OTTD could find open netgames by itself.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

GoneWacko wrote:Owen is working on some kind of a Lobby for TTD internet play, maybe he can also get it working for OTTD.
Well, I was... as usual, it's still "in progress" and not likely to be completed for a while, at least. It would probably be better if OpenTTD had its lobby feature built in to it anyway - we can do that, now. ;)
guyver6
Engineer
Engineer

Post by guyver6 »

Mostly to Owen and Vurlix: I'm willing to help and I will help. With multiplayer of course. As you can see I'm somewhat new on this forums but have experience programming C, C++, Winsh*t, graphics, AI and some things related to web services not needed here. Yeah, I didn't mention 'bout network programming, becouse I'm learning it right now.

My point is we should stop talking 'bout multiplayer, but start doing it :). And not just do it to have it, but do it good, so we can setup server and play with each other, with low latency, low bandwidth use, like it should be done.

And here are some of my thoughts regarding multiplayer problem:
- Bigger maps - if we want to play more than two player games, this is a must, and this should be done before trying to start programming MP. Why? If anyone of you played with someone using TTDPatch on LAN (2 players), then you could tell, that around 1985 (1990) there's nothing to build, just to modify and upgrade old routes, and I'm speeking about fully developed railroad system, all stations connected to one or two massive-massive railroad lines. That's how looked my game with my roommate in tropic climate.
- Design first, coding next - it's the most importand aspects of multiplayer programming and network code. If communication over network is badly designed, there's not much that can help, but rewriting network code again. I propose that some of developers working on OTTD should focus on designing multiplayer, and the rest should increase map size, debug and implement features like usual.

I have some ideas about how the multiplayer could be designed. And I'm looking forward to share my ideas, but I don't know where to meet to discuss it.

Is anybody else interested in helping with multiplayer?

Guyver
guyver6
Engineer
Engineer

Post by guyver6 »

Ok, the thing 'bout meeting... just forget it. I found it myself... in that sticky post... hehe :oops:

Guyver

Return to “General OpenTTD”