Official OpenTTD.com webpage wanted

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

wiggo
Engineer
Engineer

Official OpenTTD.com webpage wanted

Post by wiggo »

Hi!

If you are willing to make one then post a reply here
MadEgg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MadEgg »

I could do that :)
Protect the Banana
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

Maybe I could help :wink:
Maybe use an .org domain, like other open source projects. And don't forget the little poor www. :cry:
MadEgg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MadEgg »

My suggestion would be to for a change, NOT use the good old TTD tiles-background as it's getting quite annoying imo :p
Protect the Banana
wiggo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wiggo »

MadEgg: sweet, got any previous work u have done that I can see?

Saskia: both openttd.com and openttd.org work and are linked to the same webpage so you can use the one you prefer ;)
MadEgg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MadEgg »

I did make a few websites but I didn't do the artwork for most of them, it got supplied to me.
I can do a li'l graphics too though but my expertise is on HTML, PHP, MySQL, that kinda stuff.

Anyway, sites I've done(most of 'm in Dutch, so you prolly won't be able to read 'm :p)

http://www.countryside.nl/ (design wasn't done by me at all, actually I quite dislike the layout but the site was created before I got involved and redid the whole thing, but the owners liked the layout and wanted it to keep that way)
http://www.terpelan.nl (My design, graphics got sent to me)
http://www.pointpro.nl/clit/ (Mostly my design and my graphics, home-made forum software in there ;))
http://145.99.221.202/~eggie/ (My design and graphics, still in development though).

If you would want to look at it, I could make a website and some graphics and stuff and then ppl can see if they like it?
Protect the Banana
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Everybody doing stuff .. :/ I think it would be nice to have like... 0.2 out before you do anything drastic like this? What if Sawyer finds out and disagrees with the project? It would be a waste of cash and labour of you ask me.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
MadEgg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MadEgg »

Sawyer can't do much about it since he doesn't own the rights to the code.

Anyway, that's a risk we have to take. The faster development goes, the more different the code will be from the original work.
And building a website isn't that much of a job anyway, a lot more time has been spent on the project already so I don't see why not.
Protect the Banana
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

Besides, who cares if Sawyer does find out? I reckon he must have noticed that in these last six years (!) there's been E&RE going on with TTD, and since he's not doing anything about it, what's the problem? :wink:
<!-- End Of Post !-->
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

The project just feels so unorganised to me.
One guy is making installers without conferencing with the programmers what it should contain, another one supplies a 'louncher', as he calls it himself, and in my eyes, he only supplies it just so 'he is part of the project'...

Now you're saying 'I can build a website', but I think it would be so crappy to have to tell someone 'Hey I made new source, edit your website'. Instead, there should be a website owned and administrated by the developers.
(and yes, I know it's opensource)
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
MadEgg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MadEgg »

And who says that wouldn't be possible?

And besides, I didn't propose the website, a website was requested.
Anyway, the website could also be used to keep track of all separate projects around OpenTTD, like the installer and the launcher and language-packs and whatever might pop up and thus making it more organised.
Protect the Banana
wiggo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wiggo »

Gonewacko:
That's why we need a webpage, with info about the project and other important stuff so the whole thing becomes more organized.

And yes, the webpage is owned and administrated by the developers, we just need someone that can make a decent design and some useful scripts.
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

MadEgg wrote:And who says that wouldn't be possible?
Who says I'm saying it is impossible?
It just doesn't seem logical to me.
MadEgg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MadEgg »

GoneWacko wrote:
MadEgg wrote:And who says that wouldn't be possible?
Who says I'm saying it is impossible?
It just doesn't seem logical to me.
Welcome to the world of content-management and dynamic webpages :)
Protect the Banana
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

A. I hate content management scripts. They tend to look awful
B. I know all about dynamic websites, I am currently placing the final touches on the Zetorpedia part of the Zetorpedia...
MadEgg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MadEgg »

Well then, when you said
Now you're saying 'I can build a website', but I think it would be so crappy to have to tell someone 'Hey I made new source, edit your website'. Instead, there should be a website owned and administrated by the developers.
it didn't make much sense did it :)

Of course the admins would be able to upload and add to the site themselves without anyone interfering.
Protect the Banana
Jpl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jpl »

I have some knowledge on CSS, PHP and MYSQL, i can do something small.. :)
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

I was trying to give arguments why I think the project is unorganised.
Before anyone starts working on a openttd.org or .com or whatever website, the people wanting to be a part of it at this time should basically have a meeting on IRC or something (Too bad chirho has taken L to #openttd) and discuss it all again.

Things are so chaotic at this time.
MadEgg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MadEgg »

GoneWacko wrote:I was trying to give arguments why I think the project is unorganised.
Before anyone starts working on a openttd.org or .com or whatever website, the people wanting to be a part of it at this time should basically have a meeting on IRC or something (Too bad chirho has taken L to #openttd) and discuss it all again.

Nothing wrong with that. But that doesn't mean we should do it :)
Protect the Banana
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

GoneWacko wrote:I was trying to give arguments why I think the project is unorganised.

Actually, that's me with L on #openttd, so...
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Return to “General OpenTTD”