Sorce

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

pETe!
Engineer
Engineer

Sorce

Post by pETe! »

Is OpenTTD a complete reprogramming of TTD or is it an decomplied TTD?
MadEgg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MadEgg »

AFAIK Ludde decompiled TTD to asm code, which is actually the best we could hope for since Chris Sawyer wrote TTD in asm to begin with.
He then translated the whole thing to C, while modifying some things to work with modern operating systems(for example things related to video and sound).

So it's not a complete rewrite, but some sort of translation.
Protect the Banana
pETe!
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pETe! »

Is that legal??
MadEgg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MadEgg »

That's a bit of a corner-case.
Read some threads on this forum to get some insight on it.

It could be legal since it's not a 1 on 1 ripping of the sourcecode, since Chris Sawyer wrote it in ASM and the openttd sourcecode is in C, it has been rewritten trough Ludde's view on the ASM code.

But the most important, noone knows who owns the rights to the game since Microprose is no more and some companies who might have the rights to the code think the game is too old to spend any time on finding that out.

Summary: noone really cares who owns the code. As long as no original gamedata is being distributed and noone makes a dime with this sourcecode I don't think anyone is gonna make trouble about it.
Protect the Banana
Sinaasappel
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Sorce

Post by Sinaasappel »

pETe! wrote:Is OpenTTD a complete reprogramming of TTD or is it an decomplied TTD?
Well, actually, as far as i'm aware, decompiling is technically impossible. So the best you can get is disassemble it and write your own highlevel code based on the disassembled code.

About legal issues: afaik, in europe this practice is legal because disassembling is legal for compatibility/porting issues. And since i would think OTTD falls into that catagory, i think it would be legal.
Not sure about the US or other countries though.
But anyways, like MadEgg said: it doesn't really matter :)
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time,
but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.
-- Despair.com
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I bet you whoever owns it doesn't know they own it.

Hey Ive just checked and I ow the name! :wink:
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

I have heard that US law says, that if A claims to own the rights to something, he does until B can prove, that he owns the rights. A never proofed anything and if nobody can proof ownership, A owns it.

I just remembered, that I own the pacific ocean until someone can proof, that they own it :lol:

Return to “General OpenTTD”