Source code package release

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Saskia
Director
Director

Source code package release

Post by Saskia »

Could you, dear gods ... OTTD developers, also release the source code of a new binary release as a tar.gz or tar.bz2 (much better than zip) or something, please? :)
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Source code package release

Post by Darkvater »

Saskia wrote:Could you, dear gods ... OTTD developers, also release the source code of a new binary release as a tar.gz or tar.bz2 (much better than zip) or something, please? :)
Why not get the newest version from svn?
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

Because I (and probably maaaany others) then had to fight with the checkout procedure every new release. I even don't have a SVN client ... and nearly every open source project has an stable code package, why not OTTD? It would be much more comfortable to download :wink:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Maybe Ludde or someone can create a cron job that dumps the latest source to a file on the OpenTTD server daily or something?
mrf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mrf »

The update/build procedure is simple, no fighting required :

svn update
make
strgen

takes 30 secs.

tools like svn or cvs are worth learning how to use imo.
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

Does SVN transfer the source compressed? I only have a modem - the uncompressed source is about 12 MB! :( And where's the problem, if Ludde even releases a compiled binary, to release a source package ...
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Saskia wrote:Does SVN transfer the source compressed? I only have a modem - the uncompressed source is about 12 MB! :( And where's the problem, if Ludde even releases a compiled binary, to release a source package ...
That would be 29 minutes with 7 k/s (max for 56 k modem)
In theory you only have to do this once because svn only transfers modified files.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

12MB? Where do you get that value from? :?
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

And a source tarball would be ca. two minutes. My connection quality is very bad, it only gets to max 5 Kb/s, mostly only 3 Kb/s :cry:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, that's much the same as me. When I can, I'll see if I can [get someone to] set up a cron job to automatically generate a tarball every night.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

oTTD uncompressed is only about 5 megs. Excluding of course all compiled files, and needed TTDLX graphics.

Since most of this is text, it will be max 3 megs orso. Could be easily downloaded, even on a dialup
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

Thanks Owen! :D
orudge wrote:12MB? Where do you get that value from? :?
Midnight Commander says 12051KB for 0.1., with binaries, but they are "only" 500KB together.
MadEgg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MadEgg »

My entire sourcetree takes about 2.5 Megs...

I think you got all object files there as well. And the ttd executable takes up about 3 megs here, not 500 KB.

Anyway, enter a 'make clean' and remove the ttd file and see how much space it takes up then... Should be a lot less.
Protect the Banana
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

orudge wrote:12MB? Where do you get that value from? :?
I just downloaded every sourcefile using svn. It created a folder of a total of 4.2 mb

Got it nearly instandly on my ADSL
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

MadEgg wrote:I think you got all object files there as well. And the ttd executable takes up about 3 megs here, not 500 KB.
I take it that's a debug executable, then. ;)
MadEgg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MadEgg »

Could be cause the 'Makefile' is set to debug mode automatically, not to release mode. Anyway, it's still huge :)
I don't care anyway, the conn is fast enoughl
Protect the Banana

Return to “General OpenTTD”