Merge parts of simutrans with OpenTTD?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Ioish
Engineer
Engineer

Merge parts of simutrans with OpenTTD?

Post by Ioish »

Both simutrans and OpenTTD are very cool projects. Wouldn't it be nice, to add some of the simutrans graphics to openttd? This would speed up things like "more cargo types", "more vehicles/trains,etc" and such since the graphics for other industries/trucks,etc. are allready available. Maybe even merge both projectsm but I guess that would be quite difficult since simutrans is not opensource.

Of course you would need permission of the simutrans team to do this.
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

I'd be interested to share graphics. There are some very nice graphics made for TTD/Patch which I'd like to use in Simutrans, too.

But I have some doubt in the legality of OpenTTD.

The process of disassembling and rewriting the TTD code in C looks illegal to me. I'm no lawyer, though. I have similar doubts like eis_os, probably because we both live in germany.

This means, I'll rather stay away from OpenTTD until the legal issues are clarified.

Getting back on topic: I'm really interested in getting new graphics, but only if they are original art, and I get a clear statement from the creator that I may use them in Simutrans. OTOH most of Simutrans art was not created by me, and we will need to contact the authors in every case to get their permission to use the graphics in other projects.

Edit: I forgot to say: I'll most likely be offline until Monday, March 15th, starting this evening.
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

Hajo, would you give OpenTTD your transportation concept, please? I like that the cargo knows where it wants to go :)
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

NO NO please god NO!!!

I hate simutrans or that feature becouse i can't figure out whre the cargo wants to go. I always bancrupt becouse of that feature!

And this will scrue all you're plans to build a massive network becouse it will be imposibble for this reason:
In ttd you can choose one factory and a lot of farms and then make a big network in that area, then choose a city and transport goods in it(that will need a big line too)
And in simutrans it's imposible to do it easily becouse you can't just choose a factory you must cheeck all farms for cargo directions(That's borring)and then you will se that one farm wants to transport the cargo into your factory, but other is not(i hate that mainly for passenger transport).
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

The simutrans author has made it clear he don't want his source code to be open anyways.

Not to mention setting a schedule and stuff like that is too complex IMHO. One of the niceties of TTDX is that doing stuff in it is simple. I'd like to keep it that way.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
Alex Nipal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Alex Nipal »

Saskia wrote:Hajo, would you give OpenTTD your transportation concept, please? I like that the cargo knows where it wants to go :)
Maybe this one is realistic, but it's totally unplayable :shock:
May the blessed Czech hands will be with you...

(A nejlepsi je stejne cesky pivo a cesky holky)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Here I think is the best compromise:

Cargo doesn't "know" where it wants to go, it will go anywhere that accepts it. If you wanted, you could do some sort of economy thing, where the marginal profit from an additional delivery to a particular place would decrease if that place had already received a great deal of whatever you were delivering. But you'd still get paid for it.

What WOULD be nice, though, is for PASSENGERS (and maybe mail) to have destinations. So, if you had a station in a city, it would have maybe 15% of passengers each to the neighboring 4 towns, 20% to the biggest city or two on the map, and the remaining 20% divided up between all the rest of the cities. You'd adjust the percentages based on the city sizes of course. But you'd have to make the passengers smart enough to change modes of transportation and trains, getting off at the right station to make connections, etc. You could let them change stations in a city too by letting them have a free transfer between stations with the same city-name in them. If that connection isn't served by a local bus, anyway. If you wanted to be really slick they could change transport companies also, so if you saw an unserved connection between opponents' systems, you could provide service between them and get all the transfer traffic. I think that would be a major improvement, it's silly that passengers will just get on the next vehicle and go wherever it goes. It kinda ruins the concept of local and long-distance express service.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

Hmm, such a model will require a lot of thought, I don't want to just tack something on in this case . . .
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Certainly it cannot be designed in a day, much less built that quickly. But adding that would make it pretty conclusive that OpenTTD is different from TTD:
- The graphics (will be) different
- The gameplay and options will be quite different, once the Patch improvements are added
- Now even the economic model will be different. Clearly OpenTTD becomes a different creation.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

Since it would be an great challenge to play with self-confident (*g*) cargo, and those program code would be a subset of the economy with root customers [Stammkundschaft], I would suggest to make it switchable if cargo has an target, or only gets a provision if delivered to this target.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, I'd put that ability pretty far down on the list. Catch up with the Patch first, and take care of any bugs, and do the stuff on the "impossible" list like higher bridges and subway-stations. THEN worry about rejiggering the entire economy.
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

I fear that it may be too late to retro-fit the code by that point.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Maybe you could make changes to add stub-ends to the various methods, allowing you to plug in a different economic model later when you got round to it?
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

krtylor,

You're basicly describing the system RT3 uses for it's economical model (except that there cargo moves by it's own at a slow speed / great cost too).

It's very controversial. I really like it, but others think it completely ruins the gameplay. So I think it would be great to design a game so you can swap the economy model.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, then, it definitely sounds like the right solution is to fix it in the C code so the economy (whatever it is) is separate, and connects via stubs, so the whole economy can be replaced with something else later. That way we can tinker with various things if we want, and offer options.
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

This goes hand-in-hand with converting the code to something more modular and object-oriented, which should be near the top of our list.

Return to “General OpenTTD”