I proudly present to you OpenTTD!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

eobet wrote: Oh, and Transport Tycoon Delux for Windows isn't really fully XP compatible, is it, so a good lawyer could probably argue fair use on this case.
Actually, it is completely NOT XP compatible, it simply doesn't work at all without the Patch. You are right, a good lawyer has many useful arguments and precedents, but the trouble is, who has the money for a good lawyer? Whether you win or lose, you still have to pay the lawyer.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Well, I think we've all heard of legal aid. Since a lot of us don't make a lot of money, you can get a lawyer for as less as 60 EUR (one time payment). At least, that's what mine cost me (met toevoeging).

And if you win the case you can always get back about 60% of the costs of the trial, plus additional expenses.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

there a big difference between doing something legal and not getting sued...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Darkvater wrote: And if you win the case you can always get back about 60% of the costs of the trial, plus additional expenses.
Depends on the country in which you are sued, and that isn't always the country you live in. European rules are funny, I think if you live in an EC country, you can be sued in any of the others and it will stick. I could be sued in Europe too but I'm an American and I don't own anything there, so it wouldn't accomplish much. But if somebody was mad at you, they could find the most cooperative (to them) European country, law, and judge, and sue you in that court. Like, a country that didn't have such a legal aid arrangement, and for which you weren't reimbursed if you won.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Drop the legal department discussion please. the game is 10 years old and these guys are just trying to improve it for use on OS's Like WINXp, and also make better gameplay. Drop The legal Discussion Please.
mike[F]
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mike[F] »

It's all well and good saying 'drop the legal discussion' but if you get sued you can't just 'drop it' :p
-mike[F]
Caught in the rush of the crowd, lost in a wall of sound...
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

But if somebody was mad at you, they could find the most cooperative (to them) European country, law, and judge, and sue you in that court.
Maybe, but I couldn't care less - they don't have jurisdition in the U.S.A., there would be no way to enforce anything. I'm certainly not going to fly over the Atlantic to show up in some European court, and there's no way they could make me. They'd still have to get the U.S. courts involved if they wanted to actually accomplish anything.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
agent-wang
Engineer
Engineer

Post by agent-wang »

[quote="krtaylor"]Actually, it is completely NOT XP compatible, it simply doesn't work at all without the Patch.[quote]

Not so. I used to run TTD-Win WITHOUT the patch on my XP box.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Huh. If so that's news to me.
CoolAsIce
Engineer
Engineer

You can be proud

Post by CoolAsIce »

Great work. Ludde !! I envy your persistence !

I actually dared to checkout the code.
Its readable and the design is great....... how long did you work on this ?

I'm not an artist in C, becuz i only did C++ or any other oo like language, however it's so nicely structured even I can read it !
"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live"
-- John F. Woods
Bart
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bart »

krtaylor wrote:Huh. If so that's news to me.
Don't worry, there are a few ways to run TTD on XP without the Patch... me thinks of hacking TTD yourself, run an emulator, or having multiple versions of Windows on your computer...
[url=CALLTO://Sgreehder]Image[/url]
stewis
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by stewis »

The game is not just the only legal thing you should be thinking about what about its name?

Transport Tycoon is im sure copyrighted to some one so calling this game "Open Transport Tycoon" would as i understand be violating the copyright?

but then im no lawyer so i could be wrong :)
mnorman
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by mnorman »

No, the code is copryrighted, and the name may be trademarked, although as no-one has sold anything under the 'Transport tycoon' trade name for some years then the trademark MAY have elapsed (although I wouldn't count on it.)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

If the game is called nothing but OpenTTD, without the T.T.D. being denoted as standing for anything in particular, I think you are safe, as long as they didn't also remember to trademark the abbreviation. Which I bet they didn't.
stewis
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by stewis »

http://www.openttd.com - the name of the game is at the top of the page which is stated as "Open Transport Tycoon" maybe this should be changed as a just in case.
mnorman wrote:No, the code is copryrighted, and the name may be trademarked, although as no-one has sold anything under the 'Transport tycoon' trade name for some years then the trademark MAY have elapsed (although I wouldn't count on it.)
as i said not a lawyer :p
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

stewis wrote:http://www.openttd.com - the name of the game is at the top of the page which is stated as "Open Transport Tycoon" maybe this should be changed as a just in case.
Yes, definitely. For sure, "Transport Tycoon" is trademarked, this should be got rid of ASAP.
pasky
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by pasky »

mnorman wrote:No, the code is copryrighted, and the name may be trademarked, although as no-one has sold anything under the 'Transport tycoon' trade name for some years then the trademark MAY have elapsed (although I wouldn't count on it.)
Contrary to a copyright, trademark needs much more care from its holder.
Basically, to keep a trademark, you need to actively enforce its abiding,
otherwise you lose it. That is, you need to make sure your trademark is not
used without your permissions. Apparently Atari wasn't caring for a long time
about this at all, so I think we are perfectly safe in this regard. But IANAL.
The flush toilet is the basis of Western civilization. -- Alan Coult
DjArcas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DjArcas »

krtaylor wrote:If the game is called nothing but OpenTTD, without the T.T.D. being denoted as standing for anything in particular, I think you are safe, as long as they didn't also remember to trademark the abbreviation. Which I bet they didn't.
See - 'TDR 2000', because SCi wouldn't pay for the license to 'The Death Race 2000'
Gurluas2000
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gurluas2000 »

link not working.
rct101
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rct101 »

Gurluas2000 wrote:link not working.
try http://www.openttd.com/

Return to “General OpenTTD”