How do I add music to Openttd?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ytr191
Engineer
Engineer

How do I add music to Openttd?

Post by ytr191 »

I have been trying recently to add my own music to Openttd. Athough with all my effort I just can't seem to figure it out. All I want to do is add the songs from railroad tycoon 3 to Openttd.

Any help with this problem would be appreciated.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: How do I add music to Openttd?

Post by planetmaker »

OpenTTD allows to define music sets. The (probably big) limitation to music sets is that all music files must be midi files. See e.g. OpenMSX for an exemple music set. Maybe it's easier to comprehend if viewed without the build system (which is not necessary), if you look at the finished music set. Basically there's not much to do: you have to adopt the obm file of your music set to your needs.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

1) Files must be MIDI and adhere to the General MIDI standard, without using sound fonts that are not part of the standard.
2) You must create an MD5 hash for each file
3) You must create an OMB file which contains each file title, file name, and the MD5 hash.

It's a little work to get set up, but once you start putting together the OMB file it's pretty easy.
cdub9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cdub9 »

The fastest and easiest way is not too. Instead add your midi files to an external player and shut off the openttd player.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

cdub9 wrote:The fastest and easiest way is not too. Instead add your midi files to an external player and shut off the openttd player.
You, sir or miss, are no fun! :P

And welcome to TT-Forums. ;)

Return to “General OpenTTD”