Suggestion to increase cities

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

roger313
Engineer
Engineer

Suggestion to increase cities

Post by roger313 »

Hi, i've started to play with openttd but i've many difficulties to increase the population of the cities. Usually i create bus for passengers, post's and goods' cargo but my cities don't grow up. Do you have any suggestion?
Thanks to everybody.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Suggestion to increase cities

Post by planetmaker »

* Make sure that the town growth speed is set to something other than 'none' in the adv. settings
* In arctic and tropical climate make sure you supply the cities with the supplies they require to grow (food, water, depending on where they are)
* Make sure you supply good service and have at least 5 stations within the city's region.
* Don't block city growth by fencing the city with rail tracks. Help with bridges if needed. Make sure that towns may build bridges and level crossings in the adv. settings

Read up also on our wiki http://wiki.openttd.org/Towns
Albender
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Albender »

Also, note that some cities grow larger than others by nature. Or that is my experience with the game.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

yes, some towns have "(City)" next to their name in the town window. those tend to grow faster/larger than other towns.
mfb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mfb »

"City" towns grow quicker, but all towns are limited by 1 house per day, which can be reached for large towns - therefore, the maximal size does not depend on it.

Build roads for the city, but avoid dead ends. If you do not want to build roads, check that towns are allowed to do so.
A screenshot of your town could help to spot problems.

Return to “General OpenTTD”