How to run OpenTTD on iPad?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

leiszner
Engineer
Engineer

How to run OpenTTD on iPad?

Post by leiszner »

Hey

i have seen many people play openttd at there ipad but i cant find it is their anyone who know where i can find it??
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FAQ / Help Centre Feedback

Post by Nawdic »

leiszner wrote:Hey

i have seen many people play openttd at there ipad but i cant find it is their anyone who know where i can find it??
It should be on the app store, type in OpenTTD into search.
If its not there, then I don't know where else to suggest.
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

OpenTTD does not have an official iPad port (nor any other small device).

I know people have worked on a port, but I wouldn't know where to get it. In my experience, it doesn't work btw. You miss all the buttons you have on a PC to operate the game. It is not really build for such devices ;)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

73129 wrote:
leiszner wrote:Hey

It should be on the app store, type in OpenTTD into search.
If its not there, then I don't know where else to suggest.
I should not be in the AppStore. Unless Apple changes its policy for which programmes are allowed OpenTTD (and all other programmes which are under the GPL) are excluded from the AppStore as its TOS are incompatible with the license requirements. Thus they removed all such programmes from the AppStore. It would be easy for Apple to change the TOS accordingly.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

In other words, you need a jailbroken iDevice and then download and install manually. Check the thread on tis subjedt in the development section.
Blaxlandridge3
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: How to run OpenTTD on iPad?

Post by Blaxlandridge3 »

Actually, At one point there was a Mobile OpenTTD. I very distinctly remember playing it on my android tablet years back. At one point it did exist.
Mac OS sucks.

......If Locomotion can't work on it......

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=87176 : Let's Play Together! US Midwest!

Subscribe to meh YouTube --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFaVMm ... JfXVMrYd2A?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Blaxlandridge3 wrote: 01 May 2020 12:16 Actually, At one point there was a Mobile OpenTTD. I very distinctly remember playing it on my android tablet years back. At one point it did exist.
OpenTTD for Android still exists. It's not an official port, but it is well supported and up-to-date.
HiTTd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HiTTd »

Check my work. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=85852
source code https://github.com/dreammakerwh/OpenTTD-ios
leiszner wrote: 05 Jan 2012 20:10 Hey

kolcon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kolcon »

It would be cool to convince Apple to allow OpenTTD in the Appstore... maybe if enough people ask?
PhantomSoul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PhantomSoul »

It may have been seen on an Android tablet, or maybe a jailbroken iPad.

Depending on how the programming is set up and whether the UI visualisation and interaction is segregated enough, the UI could be adapted to work better with a tablet touch screen (larger buttons, take-overs, and drawers instead of dialogs, a mechanism for dragging and drag-scrolling on a touch screen, etc.), but you could also argue what's the point if the game's licensing prevents it from reaching the entire iPad audience.

Because apps for iOS and iPad OS are distributed exclusively through Apple's App Store, they must be compatible with Apple's licensing. Unfortunately, the game's GPL licensing is not compatible with Apple's; this is probably why the game isn't available through the Mac App Store either. Mac OS does, however, continue to allow content for download and install from outside the App Store, but they are making it increasingly difficult to run such apps, justifying with reasons surrounding security safety.

Of course, there may be ways to run the game on a jailbroken iPad, but that involves violating Apple's licensing terms and consequently giving up pretty much all of Apple's security support (updates, et al) for the device.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

PhantomSoul wrote: 24 Dec 2020 14:02 If course, there may be ways to run the game on a jailbroken iPad, but that involves violating Apple's licensing terms and consequently giving up pretty much all of Apple's security support (updates, et al) for the device.
This is not true - you can sideload apps on iOS without jailbreaking, nor does it violate Apple's security or ToS.

Return to “General OpenTTD”