The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Open Railroad Tycoon II
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:23 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Hi there!

I’m a long time admirer of transportation-related computer games, and have been since college, ever since I was introduced to Transport Tycoon. While I’ve spent far more hours with TTD, and more recently Open TTD, I also enjoy Railroad Tycoon II (RRT2). There is a group of us on another board (http://forum.dune2k.com/forum/56-the-terminal/) that are considering trying to create an ‘Open’ RRT2, similar to what you folks have done here.

I guess I come somewhat hat-in-hand. The RRT2 group is small. There is some programming experience amongst us, but much more would be needed in order to pull it off. I sort of volunteered to post an inquiry on the Open TTD board (with Owen Rudge’s permission – Thanks!) to see if anyone here would be interested in assisting with the work. I’m probably not even the person that should be asking this question, since I have no programming experience, and don’t know what technical terms to ask about. However, one gentleman on this other board suggested the following:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a lot of programming experience, and a lot of gaming experience, so I could probably do about half of the coding and much of the project management.You're looking for at least four kinds of people:

1) "Producer": A system engineer who knows what all pieces need to be built, and knows the full list of tools and skills needed to build them.

2) Artist: Can paint anything from engine and freight-car skins to buildings, hills and trees

3) Animator: Can convert the artist's paintings into computer-graphics objects (e.g. sprites, textures etc) that can be stitched together and move.

4) Someone with yet another skill that I don't have but is sure to be needed as soon as we talk to #1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How’s that for specifics? :) If anyone would be interested in assisting with creating Open RRT2, please see the following link on the RRT2 board: http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/23962-ope ... tycoon-ii/

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:55 pm 
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Good luck with this project, Railroad Tycoon 2 is one of my favorite tycoon games!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:43 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Put me down as a likely keen player as it was also one of my favourite games. The original Railroad Tycoon was the first game I ever bought (from Trago Mills in Liskeard) after I had ordered my first PC. It was an IBM 286 machine ( bought at a healthy discount as my Dad worked for IBM ) and ran on MS DOS 4 and DOSSHELL. It was several years before I moved to Windows 3.1.

Alas I have no programming skills whatso ever so I cannot help with development. I will volunteer to playtest it though!

Good luck with the project