Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 9:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:10 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Sorry,

But I have to point this out once again because you still dont understand! Please now, read this closely:

I don't want to keep people from breaking their games by adding or changing newGRF AFTER they started a new game, I want to make sure THEY KNOW they cant change stuff after they started a game BEFORE THIS HAPPENS EVEN THE FIRST TIME, -> So that they don't run into a such frustrating position like I got into where I noticed that my game got evily hard because I just didnt set it up right!

Its a little shool everyone needs to know how powerful and also not so much making happy this system can be like at its current state!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:04 pm 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

How is that different than generating with the wrong map size, unlucky landscape, wrong climate, wrong year, wrong city, industry density, and probably a few others I forgot now?

In all these cases, you cannot change it after you started.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:32 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I, for one, would support a text notice or "help" button somewhere obvious in the newgrf window that has a quick explanation of what newGRFs are, a reference to the "online content" button to download newgrfs, how to add them to the list, an explanation that the newgrfs must be added to the list before a new game is started for them to take effect, and other such relevant data. A first-time-run notice like the mockup posted earlier (although I don't like the glaring red) would work too. This, as mentioned, would help inform new users about the newgrf system. Heck, even a button that links to the relevant wiki page would be helpful.

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:01 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Alberth wrote:
How is that different than generating with the wrong map size, unlucky landscape, wrong climate, wrong year, wrong city, industry density, and probably a few others I forgot now?
Most of those have behaviour and consequences that should be obvious when changing the setting - anyone reducing 'industry density' should be able to realise that the game will be harder. All climates are playable under normal conditions, and I would suggest a warning for 'Date < 1950'.

The effects of NewGRFs are much harder to predict, especially the many that don't have a readme. For example, how is a new user supposed to know that UKRS2's (and most other GRF trainsets') purchase and running costs are vastly higher than the default ones? Or that they need a NewGrf vehicle set when using almost any industry grf? Or that multiple industry grfs break each other...except the many ECS ones that don't?

None of these things are explained anywhere, nor can they be inferred from any information available in OpenTTD, so I would support the addition of an in-game 'NewGRF FAQ'-style page. Of course it couldn't cover things specific to individual NewGRFs, but it could at least warn new players about some common pitfalls.

P.S. - I'm not an OpenTTD noob now, and haven't been for several years now, but I do still remember my first try at NewGRFs. I added the 2cc set, thought "Why the **** do all these vehicles cost so much!?", bought a couple, and then went bust within five years...

Also, not that long ago I wrote this wall-of-text post about NewGRFs, which is entirely not what I'd want to see in OTTD. It's far too long and tedious.