Changing NewGRFs in scenarios / ingame

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

SonicTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Changing NewGRFs in scenarios / ingame

Post by SonicTTD »

Sorry,

But I have to point this out once again because you still dont understand! Please now, read this closely:

I don't want to keep people from breaking their games by adding or changing newGRF AFTER they started a new game, I want to make sure THEY KNOW they cant change stuff after they started a game BEFORE THIS HAPPENS EVEN THE FIRST TIME, -> So that they don't run into a such frustrating position like I got into where I noticed that my game got evily hard because I just didnt set it up right!

Its a little shool everyone needs to know how powerful and also not so much making happy this system can be like at its current state!
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

How is that different than generating with the wrong map size, unlucky landscape, wrong climate, wrong year, wrong city, industry density, and probably a few others I forgot now?

In all these cases, you cannot change it after you started.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

I, for one, would support a text notice or "help" button somewhere obvious in the newgrf window that has a quick explanation of what newGRFs are, a reference to the "online content" button to download newgrfs, how to add them to the list, an explanation that the newgrfs must be added to the list before a new game is started for them to take effect, and other such relevant data. A first-time-run notice like the mockup posted earlier (although I don't like the glaring red) would work too. This, as mentioned, would help inform new users about the newgrf system. Heck, even a button that links to the relevant wiki page would be helpful.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Alberth wrote:How is that different than generating with the wrong map size, unlucky landscape, wrong climate, wrong year, wrong city, industry density, and probably a few others I forgot now?
Most of those have behaviour and consequences that should be obvious when changing the setting - anyone reducing 'industry density' should be able to realise that the game will be harder. All climates are playable under normal conditions, and I would suggest a warning for 'Date < 1950'.

The effects of NewGRFs are much harder to predict, especially the many that don't have a readme. For example, how is a new user supposed to know that UKRS2's (and most other GRF trainsets') purchase and running costs are vastly higher than the default ones? Or that they need a NewGrf vehicle set when using almost any industry grf? Or that multiple industry grfs break each other...except the many ECS ones that don't?

None of these things are explained anywhere, nor can they be inferred from any information available in OpenTTD, so I would support the addition of an in-game 'NewGRF FAQ'-style page. Of course it couldn't cover things specific to individual NewGRFs, but it could at least warn new players about some common pitfalls.

P.S. - I'm not an OpenTTD noob now, and haven't been for several years now, but I do still remember my first try at NewGRFs. I added the 2cc set, thought "Why the **** do all these vehicles cost so much!?", bought a couple, and then went bust within five years...

Also, not that long ago I wrote this wall-of-text post about NewGRFs, which is entirely not what I'd want to see in OTTD. It's far too long and tedious.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

About chanching newgrf in game ...i remamber when changing whas easy but dont know what wose the version openttd ,now you can change discryption in openttd directory files ....Scenario_developer from false to true or cross that dont remembre. But now i play on android end i'm pist that can't change it!!! If someone know givet to me 😣😣
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

gravelpit wrote: 17 Apr 2020 09:34 About chanching newgrf in game ...i remamber when changing whas easy but dont know what wose the version openttd ,now you can change discryption in openttd directory files ....Scenario_developer from false to true or cross that dont remembre. But now i play on android end i'm pist that can't change it!!! If someone know givet to me 😣😣
It's the same way, the Adroid port is a direct port. But you'll probably need a physical keyboard and mouse attached to your device.
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

Sorry but in adroid cant found directory file like in windows

C:/Users/Documents/OpenTTD

Android have difrent specyfication!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I install stuff to my SD card and find OpenTTD under the default place where you find in similar folders the data of other applications, too. So nothing strange:

SD-Card -> Android -> data -> org.openttd.sdl -> files -> .openttd
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

planetmaker wrote: 27 Apr 2020 10:34 I install stuff to my SD card and find OpenTTD under the default place where you find in similar folders the data of other applications, too. So nothing strange:

SD-Card -> Android -> data -> org.openttd.sdl -> files -> .openttd
Exaclly but what eals you dont have data file to change scenario developer dont make mess
You cant do it like this!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Get yourself a file system browser on your phone and a text file editor and all config settings are yours to change. E.g. TotalCommander is (also) available for Android.
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

planetmaker wrote: 30 Apr 2020 13:25 Get yourself a file system browser on your phone and a text file editor and all config settings are yours to change. E.g. TotalCommander is (also) available for Android.
Im usin total commander and this files are emty you can change only scenari,heightmaps,newgrf,music and maby some one not importent
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

gravelpit wrote: 05 May 2020 06:50
planetmaker wrote: 30 Apr 2020 13:25 Get yourself a file system browser on your phone and a text file editor and all config settings are yours to change. E.g. TotalCommander is (also) available for Android.
Im usin total commander and this files are emty you can change only scenari,heightmaps,newgrf,music and maby some one not importent
If you mean file openttd.sdl \file\game\libre or anything else theare is nothing important ,write what about file you to change scenario_developerscript...?
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

gravelpit wrote: 05 May 2020 10:17
gravelpit wrote: 05 May 2020 06:50
Why you just write open file openttd.cfg !
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Please don't double-post. Instead edit your previous posting.

Additionally I have no clue what you are trying to say. So please, at the same time, edit your posting for clarity.
CazadorSirenas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CazadorSirenas »

Hello there, guys! :)

Been a long while since I visited here last, so please let me know if this isn't the right place for my question/request. But since I'm looking for... changing NewGRF? then I guessed this would be the thread.

So, I want to add some new buidings sets to the game. I was looking in this page (https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Community/NewGRF/) that shows several sets, but things is, how do I know if they add instead of replace? For long time I've been playing with TTRS and Swedish Houses, which work great. I don't want the original buildings to disappear and never show up again, I just want more random variety.

Then please, could you suggest me which sets to install? Also only buildings sets, not replacing stations nor infrastructure and etc. Thanks in advance!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

most sets replace everything, however, you can make (or find) a set that simply re-adds the originals.

additionally, you should probably make a new thread instead of hijacking an old thread that is just vaguely related to your question.
Rovstam
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rovstam »

set newgrf developer tools 1
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

fizer3 wrote: 18 Jun 2023 09:21
What if a new game player make newGRF changes before starting the new game?
Once a scenario or save game is created, it is no longer possible to change setting from outside of the active game. As noted in earlier posts, there is a way to modify the setting from inside an active game, but doing this can and likely will corrupt your game.

If you are starting a brand new game, and not playing a scenario or save game file, then you can make all the changes to setting and NeeGRF parameters as you wish.

Return to “General OpenTTD”