[Base Music] Scott Joplin Anthology Set v3

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

heppers
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [Base Music] Scott Joplin Anthology

Post by heppers »

Brumi wrote:Well, here is the directory tree that I have:

Code: Select all

OpenTTD
  content_download
    ai
    data
    gm
      openmsx-0.2.1
         (files of OpenMSX)
      Scott_Joplin
         (files of Scott Joplin)
    scenario
  (...)
I have that setup, in the game options screen i have OpenMSX selected (the other 2 being no music or original)
and in the jukebox all i get is the ones supplied with OpenMSX...
Pedro The Fisherman
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

heppers wrote:I have that setup, in the game options screen i have OpenMSX selected
The dirs look about right. Have you unziped and untared the Scott Joplin Anthology? If so, it should be selectable as a music set of its own right, just like NoMusic and OpenMSX.
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

If you get it right, the Scott Joplin Anthology should show up in the options window besides OpenMSX, the original music set, and the NoMusic set.
I'm running out of ideas... :( What happens if you re-download the collection? And if you put it in the 'gm' directory outside 'content_download' (that 'gm' directory should be on the same level as the OpenTTD executable)

EDIT: planetmaker was faster. :)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

if you can't choose the right music set from the list, you're likely
a) missing the .obm file, or
b) having a corrupt file/wrong md5 sum
c) not searching in the right directory
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Very strange behavior, indeed.

\Scott_Joplin is the same set of files I used when I released the original pack back in December. The only change is the updating of the .obm file with license info and renaming the files for capitalization and removal of a few apostrophes, which didn't change the MD5 hash. Before I released it I confirmed that it was working in OTTD 1.0.1.

I deleted the directory, unpacked it from the files I uploaded, put it back where it was, and OTTD can't find it. I downloaded the previous version I put on my server, unpacked it, and it works.

So, lemmie go see what I screwed up and I'll try again!

OK, updated version worked fine for me, please download and test
Last edited by kamnet on 20 Jun 2010 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Dezmond_snz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dezmond_snz »

kamnet wrote:Is the new download working okay?
No, it isn't.
Tryed to place it (tar from archive) everywhere, but it don't appear in game settings - music set. Also tryed to extract directory to same locations without any effect.

edit: There are 2 errors in filename 'the_great_сrush_collission_march.gm'.
edit2: Ok, i fixed these typos and set working fine now.
Russia
heppers
Engineer
Engineer

Post by heppers »

Dezmond_snz wrote:
kamnet wrote:Is the new download working okay?
No, it isn't.
Tryed to place it (tar from archive) everywhere, but it don't appear in game settings - music set. Also tryed to extract directory to same locations without any effect.

edit: There are 2 errors in filename 'the_great_сrush_collission_march.gm'.
edit2: Ok, i fixed these typos and set working fine now.
Downloaded the file it didn't work, fixed the above typos and it works now!

Thank you all for your help.
Pedro
Pedro The Fisherman
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

That's an interesting typo that showed up. Ugh. Fixed and now uploaded to the first page. Thank you for the help!

Still didn't resolve the issue of getting it added to BaNaNaS... :-?
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Thanks! Great music- especially when I'm playing back in the Roaring 20s.
Who is John Galt?
Niall_Wallace
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Niall_Wallace »

Excellent work sir.
Mahoo76
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mahoo76 »

Wonderful, love the music. Thank you very much!
StopRightThere
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by StopRightThere »

Isn't Chrysanthemum and The Easy Winners in this in Locomotion also?
Bye Bye OpenBVE :(
Official TT-Hot young ginger Doctor Who assistant FanClub
Formerly known as AdditionalData
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I wasn't aware of it before (not a Locomotion player), but yes, indeed they are. Composed by Allister Brimble.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

out of interest, have you tried with the updated versions? it might be that the problems solved were causing it to not work ?(
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Being interested in Prewar music (Big band, and early jazz music in particular), I enjoyed this. It is a little older than my usual music, but very enjoyable.

I have Glenn Miller's complete works on MP3 (And most of it also on 78 RPM record, for what that's worth!), is there a way to make MIDIs for the game out of an MP3? Even an instrumental Chattanooga Choo Choo or Crosstown, would be fitting, and his tune Slow Freight, is an instrumental to begin with.

Anyone want to try? I can email a couple MP3s maybe.
Without Trains America Stops

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

no, it is not possible to create a MIDI from an MP3. to create a MIDI you need the sheet music, not a recording.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Yeah, unfortunately if it were easy to rip MP3 to MIDI, this project would pretty much be useless, anybody could rip their personal MP3 collection and put together their own music packs for their own personal use. MIDI is technically the conversion of human-readable sheet music into machine-readable code so that electronic instruments can play the notes back. There are some very expensive programs out there that can take an MP3 and try to discover the notes of a particular instrument and convert that to MIDI, but it's not very accurate and highly depends on the quality of the MP3 file. And you have to do it for EVERY instrument.

My current music project, I'm putting together a collection of public domain songs from 1900-1923 that I think fit into the game. The tough part is finding good MIDI compositions where somebody has taken the time to do a nice arrangement of instruments rather than just hack together a crappy-sounding horn and piano and calling it a day.
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Glenn Miller MIDI files for Railway Modeller. Easiest way to find them is just to search for Glenn Miller on each page. NB - I haven't listened to them, so quality could be anything. But better these than nothing - probably.

http://www.ajsmidi.com/
http://www.garyrog.50megs.com/
http://users1.ee.net/lstone/midi.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/retro2/lisanos ... music.html
http://midiworld.com/jazz.htm
http://www.alevy.com/miller.htm
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The only problem is that none of Glenn Miller's music is in the Public Domain, and as such, we cannot distribute or even endorse a project which improperly distributes somebody else's copyrighted works.

SPEAKING OF WHICH... it has been brought to my attention that some of the MIDI files included in the current "Scott Joplin Anthology" may not be as original as I was lead to believe. I believe that some of the compositions may be by a person I've not yet spoken with. After listening to their compositions, I am seeking their permission to use their files, I don't anticipate any rejection, though. The composer also has over 600 recorded MIDI files of music from 1890s-1920s, and I may be releasing other project using their materials, with their permission.

And, yes, I know after awhile it may get boring to keep releasing ragtimes, waltzes and marches from public domain sources, but I think I will be putting together a nice collection of music that is not only popular music for its time, but is still entertaining and can inspire gameplay.

UPDATE 07/24: after comparing the MD5 checksums, the files are not the same, HUZZZAH! Just the same, I like the new recordings I've found, and if I can reach an agreement with the composer, I will update the project with the new MIDI files.

Return to “General OpenTTD”