Version 2.0 - Look to the Future

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Version 2.0 - Look to the Future

Post by neob »

Wasila wrote:OpenTTD 1.0 is drawing nearer, and so a huge chapter in OpenTTD's history is coming to a close.

The devs decided to make 0.7 the last 0.x version due to the introduction of OpenGFX/SFX, as the inclusion of these led to the achievement of the mission goals. To make OpenTTD an open, free program independent from old, copyrighted files.

In essence, I'm asking - what should our new goal be?
there is still a long list of features, so that has to be implemented of curse (beside the improvements to the current features)

* my personal take on that will a better GUI more consistent/descriptive etc, here is a few mockups (ignore colors):
Single player screens
Content server and NewGRF
All Setting
and with some thought on desgin it can look like this Sexy colored NewGRF manager patch
its main menu screens but the same rule applies to ingame screens, for example for all those who ever thought WTF its so small while crunching their necks to the screen.

* a real scenario editor (not the "manual random map generator"), where you can place whatever you want where ever you want
with condition-trigger-event system so that everyone can make nice scenarios (or even tutorials)

* And of course the inclusion of Full zoom levels
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

And bridges under bridges.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

This is not a page for individual feature requests - you can go to the Suggestions forum for that. No, I am looking for an over-arching goal, one which does not drive every decision but is something to strive for.

Looking at neob's suggestions, and in line with a suggestions I made a while ago, how about to aim to make the learning curve shallower? Things like improving the GUI and, most importantly, some form of in-built tutorial to allow people to get used to the game without being plunged into the deep end. I am not just talking about a video - I mean a proper tutorial like in modern commercial games which you interact with.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

This is not a page for individual feature requests - you can go to the Suggestions forum for that. No, I am looking for an over-arching goal, one which does not drive every decision but is something to strive for.
If you put it that way then complete conversion to C++ is something to strive for.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Sarvesh50
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sarvesh50 »

INclude patches like the upgrade airport patch and some others...
Also the option to turn the patches down or off... it shouldnt work like a patch that we have now like patching it on your own wen you dont know how to compile and that more like a add-on download and it is user ready if that could be accomplished it hin many people who can code or even compile a already written code would be happy... But i think this would take a long time to dev it also renew he download option forgot the name you can download theur heightmaps an ai's it sould be more user friendly looking about popular how many times downloaded some extra information screenshots??? Difficulty level...
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

I thought OpenTTD was already in C++?

Also Sarvesh there is a very good reason why patches are so hard to do - they are often unstable and the devs do not want to be flooded by bug reports for problems in patches. Patches are usually unstable and should not be just considered 'add ons'. There was once a program to add patches, but it long since died.

Also, Sarvesh, patches often conflict with each other and if they were easy to add and remove people would complain about patches not working together - they are not designed to.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Parts are already C++, and other parts are not yet. It is one of the long term goals set by the main developer(s).
There is a wiki page about the long term goals but I do not remember where it is for the moment.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

its not about patches being unstable but about them usually conflicting with each other.
its can be done by creating a "moding" system like in many games like HOI3 or Empire TW which will load the files as text and "compile" them on the spot.

while usually i say never say never in this case i can say confidently that that never gonna happen, there is no point in an open source ottd to do it, beside the enormous time that will be needed to create a special subsystem for that and still it will not eliminate those pesky patches you dont like and its will be slower...
Zutty wrote:Hmmm......

Cargodist
Extra zoom levels
Infrastructure Sharing
NewGRF Airports
NewGRF docks and bus stops
NewGRF road types
Economy balancing
Deep water (height levels <0)
River placement in terrain generator
Custom bridge heads/build on tunnel entrances
New map array (so we can have a whole host of smaller features like traffic lights, diagonal bridges, etc...)
A cherry on top
i love it :)
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

What are the actual benefits of C++? More flexibility? Perhaps that should be a goal for 2.0... devs?
piderman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by piderman »

ChillCore wrote:Parts are already C++, and other parts are not yet.
Which parts are not yet in C++ and what language are they in?
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

The parts not yet in C++ are in C.
Which parts I can not tell you as I am learning still.
Also to sum them up, by somebody who does know, would take to long and would be pointless.
I guess when the time comes Devs will announce something in the lines of: "As of today ..."

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Convert the game to assembly, much better! :p
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Or to javascript!
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Sarvesh50
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sarvesh50 »

Wasila wrote:I thought OpenTTD was already in C++?

Also Sarvesh there is a very good reason why patches are so hard to do - they are often unstable and the devs do not want to be flooded by bug reports for problems in patches. Patches are usually unstable and should not be just considered 'add ons'. There was once a program to add patches, but it long since died.

Also, Sarvesh, patches often conflict with each other and if they were easy to add and remove people would complain about patches not working together - they are not designed to.
Thanks for the reply
8) mwa that a bit ****** for me but it is just a game....
Do you think upgrade airport wwould implemened as game function and not as patch to openttd?
Airports are the best way to get money but you want to let your airport grow with the time and even your city :mrgreen:
I am also impressed about how strong this community patches are keeping released bugs in games or features all are getting code...
MrFrans
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MrFrans »

Wasila wrote:This is not a page for individual feature requests - you can go to the Suggestions forum for that. No, I am looking for an over-arching goal, one which does not drive every decision but is something to strive for.

Looking at neob's suggestions, and in line with a suggestions I made a while ago, how about to aim to make the learning curve shallower? Things like improving the GUI and, most importantly, some form of in-built tutorial to allow people to get used to the game without being plunged into the deep end. I am not just talking about a video - I mean a proper tutorial like in modern commercial games which you interact with.
A extension to that would be goals in scenarios, to give people a little guidance on where to start or what to do,
"A script is what you give the actors. A program is what you give the audience."
-Larry Wall
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

MrFrans wrote:
Wasila wrote:This is not a page for individual feature requests - you can go to the Suggestions forum for that. No, I am looking for an over-arching goal, one which does not drive every decision but is something to strive for.

A extension to that would be goals in scenarios, to give people a little guidance on where to start or what to do,
One of the Devs was talking on IRC about allowing AI's to control the GUI thus allowing scriptable tutorials. As far as I'm aware it is still an idea with no code written or specific plans laid out for implementation.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Sounds like a good idea...
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

robotboy wrote:One of the Devs was talking on IRC about allowing AI's to control the GUI thus allowing scriptable tutorials. As far as I'm aware it is still an idea with no code written or specific plans laid out for implementation.
GUI extension to AI sound like it will still require you to know how to program but it is easier to implement.

i prefer the scenario editor solution, ottd is a great game but since there is not defined goal after you manage to build your first money maker it doesnt provide challenge anymore only the desire to see what come next.
so by updating our neglected scenario editor we introduce those goals but also give everyone the chance to create more content and not only programmers.

yes it should be harder to implement but eventually should be much more rewarding.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

A really powerful extension would be scriptable scenarios: changing the map / the game play upon certain conditions, the simplest of them being the game date.
Donoteat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Donoteat »

New map array.

I like me a nice new map array yes I do.

Return to “General OpenTTD”