However, nine months ago someone came with the idea of having a different title game for the releases, so we can show what new features we have and how some things roughly work. I know that there are a few candidates already for the title game, but in this thread I hope to gather more candidates.
As timeline for this I'd say that you have till 00:00 UTC February 14th, 2010 (2010-02-14) (as in 2010-02-14 01:00 CET) to come with savegames.
After submissions a two stage election/vote will be held. The first vote, from 14-02-2010 till 21-02-2010 (23:59 UTC), will allow people to grade all title games. The second vote, from 22-02-2010 till 01-03-2010 (23:59 UTC), will allow people to vote from a short list of three title games; the ones with the most votes from the first round.
Finally some rules/guidelines/points scoring will be based upon:
- Map/file size: 256x256 or smaller, maximum of ~150 KiB. You don't need a very big savegame to show a lot, actually most screens can't even show such maps in full. Actually, 128x128 is more than sufficient for 1920x1200, but 64x64 is just a tad small.
- Show as much different things as possible, and try to show how they should be used. For example show the difference between presignals and path signals, standard road stops and drive through road stops. Show steam trains and maglevs, dualheads etc.
- Do not use any NewGRFs; NewGRFs can't be loaded in the intro game because that might crash OpenTTD when they are not found among with some coding reasons.
- Breakdowns will automatically be disabled, so try the game with breakdowns disabled.
- Cheating for money or making a money losing example isn't a big problem. Cheating to change the landscape is.
- Do not use AIs; they might be missing for clients. What you can do is make a multi-company game by means of multiplayer.
- Try to make it visually appealing, also for very big screens. However, put most interesting stuff that doesn't use much space in upper left part of the viewport. It should be appealing with both OpenGFX and the original graphics; this excludes toyland.
- Try to keep the number of simultanious sound effects down. E.g. try to reduce the number of level crossings, but for example keep one or two to show the difference between block and path signals on level crossings.
- And ofcourse the savegame MUST be compatible with clean trunk, so no savegames made by cargodist, IS2, daylength or other patched versions are allowed.
Results can be found near the end of the thread.