[Base Music] OpenMSX v0.3.1

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ajax
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD Music Replacement Project NEEDS SUBMISSIONS! (2/

Post by ajax »

kamnet wrote: So, summary of what I really, really dig so far, in order of preference: Fast Lane Downtown, Baby K, Cold City, Pattaya Addict, Prairie Wedding, She's Always Sensual, Winter Room. If all of those made it in, I think that would be a significant contribution.
Okay sounds good, is this the final answer or should we wait a bit to see if anyone else states their opinion?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

If you guys like it then I think it could be put in. Lately I've been mostly listening to my own music. If someone made some Locomotion music for openttd that would be nice, I think that the 1970's would fit the jazz style :)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

ajax wrote:
kamnet wrote:Okay sounds good, is this the final answer or should we wait a bit to see if anyone else states their opinion?
It's a community project, so I imagine Planetmaker will hold off a little bit just to see if there's any other feedback. I'm just one person voicing my opinion. :-)
ajax
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ajax »

all right, to make it easier any songs on this youtube page that are by MIDI Warlord can be used. My band's page is getting too cluttered up with duplicate versions of songs, so I'm putting any mp3s I use on my game's soundtracks here instead, and they are all midi recordings directly from the raw gs wavetable.

http://www.youtube.com/midiwars
ajax
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ajax »

kamnet wrote:Anybody else have an opinion?

Checked out the latest uploads, and I like It's a Matter of Style.
I can't give out that one because it is not by me, note the artist name next to each song. Only songs my MIDI Warlord are under my direct ownership. :) Any other songs are by artists who are on one of my games' soundtracks. It's a Matter of Style is an amazing composition though
Erik1984
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Erik1984 »

Maybe a bit late but it's great stuff on YouTube MIDI Warlord. Some of those songs definitely fit OpenTTD.
WaffleEggnog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WaffleEggnog »

For some reason this isnt working for me.

I downloaded OpenMSK via Online content download and i go into my options and its not in the drop-down menu. I tried downloading this multiple times and for some reason its still not working.
Arie-
Director
Director

Post by Arie- »

OS?
Midi drivers?
OpenTTD version?
What does your openttd.cfg state with respect to sound and music settings?
Does sound work?
You're not giving a lot of information and most of us don't own a crystal ball that helps solving problems magically.
DeletedUser17
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeletedUser17 »

I love the music! I was wondering if there was somewhere where I could download the tracks in mp3, WAV, or WMA format for playing on most devices. If not, I'll go about trying to convert them myself (might mean buying software, ehh,) and if I do, I'll make it available- under the permission of the team and/or respective artists, of course! Cheers! :]
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

No, these are not available in any other format than MIDI. Although if I ever get some time, maybe I'll record them into another format (most likely an open source format, which would NOT include MP3, WAV or WMV).
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

A quick internet search tells me that converting midi to ogg is a oneliner:
http://www.perturb.org/display/854_Usin ... files.html
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

of course there is no problem doing the conversion itself. but if you go through the trouble of converting, you should do it with a sensible sound font, which may get really expensive (ranges from "free" to "several thousand €"), so your ears don't fall off from listening to poorly synthesized music.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Eddi wrote:of course there is no problem doing the conversion itself. but if you go through the trouble of converting, you should do it with a sensible sound font, which may get really expensive (ranges from "free" to "several thousand €"), so your ears don't fall off from listening to poorly synthesized music.
Part of the requirement is that the music must be composed with basic sound fonts that generally come with every MIDI player. You can't use any proprietary sound fonts that most people wouldn't have. Thus, if the music from this set sounds poorly synthesized, blame the composer. :-)
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

OpenTTD Music Replacement Project NEEDS SUBMISSIONS! (2/08)
what exactly is missing, maybe we could mention it on the tracker...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Back when the topic was changed to "NEEDS SUBMISSIONS" a year and a half ago, there had only been a few songs that were included. Right now a good chunk of what is in the pack comes from Jim Redfarm, who isn't a member of the tt-forums community but an artist whose work was dumped here by another user who tried to pass it off as his own. While the music is fine, most of the feedback from the community is that they want more music that sounds more like the TTO/TTD music.

So, if that's what they want, then we need people to make that happen. The best way to do that is encourage users within the community who are MIDI artists to work on submitting works of music to the project.

Since the last release, several users have come forward to offer their own works, but neither I nor Planetmaker haven't discussed adding those works yet, other than the posts you see here in the forum. Yesterday another user started a thread in the OpenTTD Development forum about creating his own set that sounds more TTD-ish, and I'm hoping they jump over here and submit their work so that we can close this out. :-)
bowatatoy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bowatatoy »

Yipes! Before you make up your mind, I would like to submit the MIDIs that I composed. Inside the .zip are seven MIDIs. One is supposed to be a theme, two are old style jazz/swing and the rest are groove/funk. I was supposed to make my own base music set that aims to have the original ttd-ish music, but I decided to submit these instead. Feel free to use this at your disposal. :)

also, these MIDIs are designed to be sound-alikes. I have to say, these MIDIs can be considered too close to the original. I can alter these in some way if it's needed.
Attachments
MIDIS.zip
7 Midis
(14.44 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Hello! I like bacon. :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I can't hear any sound from the files. Are these standard General MIDI files?
bowatatoy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bowatatoy »

Eh? :? The last time I tried, there was sound. Let's try again.

And yes. They are General MIDI files.
Attachments
MIDIS.zip
(14.44 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
MIDI 3.mid
test
(16.37 KiB) Downloaded 6688 times
Hello! I like bacon. :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It appears that the fault is on my end, my preferred audio player's MIDI plugin apparently isn't working anymore :-(

I love ALL of these! They should definitely be included in the set IMO.

Return to “General OpenTTD”