[Base Music] OpenMSX v0.3.1

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

kamnet

Re: OpenTTD Music Replacement Project NEEDS SUBMISSIONS! (2/

Post by kamnet »

Well, here's a new original submission, from my own son! Over the last year he's been working with composing music, and this spring he joined a jazz band project at school. I asked him yesterday to start working on something, here's a short sample. Would love to hear some constructive feedback from others.
Attachments
Garrison Boogie.MID
(6.39 KiB) Downloaded 9737 times
Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trolley Trev »

Here are 3 submissions for your consideration:

1. I have revised "Keep On Rolling" and I am hoping that it won't cause the crashes it previously has :/

2. A new submission "Driving Wheels"

3. A new submission "Flying Vibes"

I have 2 more songs which are unfinished. When I get a chance and finish them I will also upload them :)

Cheers! :)
Attachments
Keep On Rollingrev3.mid
Keep On Rolling
(92.28 KiB) Downloaded 9444 times
Driving Wheels.mid
Driving Wheels
(74.73 KiB) Downloaded 9431 times
Flying Vibes.mid
Flying Vibes
(47.72 KiB) Downloaded 9456 times
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Ooh, very nice music. :)
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
ToBeFree
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ToBeFree »

I am unsure if I should actually post this here - it was never meant to be music for a game.^^

http://musescore.com/tobefree

If you want some of them for OpenMSX, I will be happy to re-license them. Suggestions, maybe? :D
Asteconn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Asteconn »

What license would the music need to be under in order to be included?
ToBeFree
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ToBeFree »

[b]first post[/b] wrote:Licensing
For the MIDI files to be distributed through the in-game content downloading system (BaNaNaS), the files will need to be licensed under the GNU Public License v2 license. Otherwise, base pack developers and artists can create their own license terms and the files can be made available through the forums.
Raihan Yafie
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [Base Music] OpenMSX v0.3.1 (Final Call for Contribution

Post by Raihan Yafie »

how to install the music to openMSX?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

If it's not installed already by default, then:
* goto "content download" from the main menu. And search for OpenMSX (just scroll or use the text field), and download it. It's in the base music (base set?) section.
* goto "game options" from main menu and select this music set.
* if music is not yet enabled: start a game, open the juke box from the main toolbar and start music

(Yes, I'm not happy that the latter step is required, but... alas, no-one has yet written a patch to make it accessible in the game option or adv. settings window :D )

And you definitely MUST reduce your signature. My signature size is of the size of the largest signatures allowed by forum rules.
(For comparison: It's as large as my laptop's screen height and about 30x the height of the content of your posting)
DarkDll
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DarkDll »

Hi all, this is my first post and i want to introduce myself with a contribution :P

I've composed it ​​this afternoon, exclusively for OpenTTD, licensed under GPL. I hope you like it!

As I have also some experience in code, I'm downloading the source code to see if I can help with the new player.

Sorry for my bad English!
Attachments
DarkDll - I get lost.mid
(42.77 KiB) Downloaded 8336 times
Erik1984
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Erik1984 »

Great track DarkDII :)
DeletedUser6
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser6 »

Trolley Trev wrote:Here are 3 submissions for your consideration:

1. I have revised "Keep On Rolling" and I am hoping that it won't cause the crashes it previously has :/

2. A new submission "Driving Wheels"

3. A new submission "Flying Vibes"

I have 2 more songs which are unfinished. When I get a chance and finish them I will also upload them :)

Cheers! :)
First of all, apologies for the massive grave digging.

Keep On Rolling sounds fine to me. It does have a few cut notes though.

Driving Wheels is nice, but there are places where the main music gets almost completely drowned out by what I would have put as the rhythm.

Flying Vibes hits the sweet spot for me. Not too many instruments at once, and it has a nice feel to it. I personally, despite having no authority over this set, vote this one in.
DarkDll wrote:Hi all, this is my first post and i want to introduce myself with a contribution :P

I've composed it ​​this afternoon, exclusively for OpenTTD, licensed under GPL. I hope you like it!

As I have also some experience in code, I'm downloading the source code to see if I can help with the new player.

Sorry for my bad English!
A few of the songs in here have a few missing instruments on my system; half the instruments are missing on this song, and as a result, I can't give a full opinion.

The first "pass" of the song (before it repeats itself) is great. The bits after that could do with having more instruments in, as it sounds somewhat repetitive.
kamnet wrote:Well, here's a new original submission, from my own son! Over the last year he's been working with composing music, and this spring he joined a jazz band project at school. I asked him yesterday to start working on something, here's a short sample. Would love to hear some constructive feedback from others.
A picture says a thousand words: :|

The start of it, I quite like; then it starts to go down hill.

I do have a couple of files on my soundcloud that you can return the favour with, if you want to. https://soundcloud.com/matthew-brades/

Hope all of that makes the grave digging a lesser offence.

Matthew:out
Yay! I'm back! Did you miss me?

I thought not.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

No grave digging as far as I can see :D
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
DeletedUser6
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser6 »

roboboy wrote:No grave digging as far as I can see :D
In that case, I can rest easy. I just had to put my opinion out there, because I'm one of *those* guys.

I thought not.
DeletedUser6
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [Base Music] OpenMSX v0.3.1

Post by DeletedUser6 »

This topic is still as dead as ever, I see.

Well, if anyone manages to get OGG decoding working, here's my submission for the collection: a rendition of Skydive.
skydive.ogg
(3.15 MiB) Downloaded 239 times
Because the GPL is a pain - do I need to host the LMMS file?

I thought not.
DeletedUser6
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser6 »

kamnet wrote:This topic was never about OGG decoding.
I'm not entirely stupid.

I know that, but last time I was here there was talk of adding it; so for future use I put it up here.

I thought not.
MSXManiac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MSXManiac »

kamnet wrote:This topic was never about OGG decoding.

Good evening!
I do not know where to start, but assuming.

I was searching the internet using the term OpenMSX when I came across this forum and the project wiki https://wiki.openttd.org/OpenMSX.
Well, I do not know if any of you have this information that there is an OpenMSX project since before 2002, when it was made public the first version.
But what is OpenMSX (that I know)?

It is an open source project (GPLv2) a program to emulate microcomputer following the MSX standard, created in 1983 through a partnership between ASCII Corporation (not to be confused with the ASCII character table) and Microsoft Corporation.
Machines of this standard no longer be produced from 1191/1992 but has a huge legion of fans especially in Japan, where it was created, Europe and South America.

Interestingly MSX has a number of standards and peripherals focused on music, most famously Yamaha CX-05M MSX computers that unlike standard, had a different sound-chip synthesizer itself.
The MSX has two music standards originally created being them the MSX-Audio and the MSX-Music. The second standard is in real a subset of the first to work with Yamaha OPLL series chips with fewer resources and less expensive than stipulated in the MSX-audio standard.
In addition after the departure of manufacturers since 1995 has established itself in the market through other companies a new standard using OPL4 Yamaha chipsets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonsound) although MSX it is still an 8-bit microcomputer.

For more information we have the following links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_chip
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMSX

To close, a curiosity that I discovered a few years ago and no longer appeared in the Google search engine.
MSX is also the name of a project of inter-continental ballistic missiles.
Based on this and a bit of black humor we could say that Iraqi and Iranian and North Korean missiles would be an OpenMSX project product also?
I hope you understood my not so funny sense of humor!

Reggards
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Hello,
MSXManiac wrote:I was searching the internet using the term OpenMSX when I came across this forum and the project wiki https://wiki.openttd.org/OpenMSX.
Well, I do not know if any of you have this information that there is an OpenMSX project since before 2002, when it was made public the first version.
But what is OpenMSX (that I know)?
(...)
yes, thank you, you are right. The name OpenMSX has been and is used by the project you describe and we were totally unaware of that project until this soundset for OpenTTD was already well-introduced into this community and someone told us about this name collision. And basically then, the sound set was already finished and no considerable work done on it anymore; and linux distributions call it consistently openttd-openmsx, so an accidential mix-up is not given either. Now, what to do: rename this sound set or not? Is this name collision a real problem?

In result I didn't yet rename it as the collision with your OpenMSX is - as I perceived it - very little. On google, there's by a very large margin the entries about your project, also the most prominent ones; the only exceptions are our OpenMSX proejct page and the OpenTTD download page for it. And outside our OpenTTD community it is always referred to as OpenTTD-OpenMSX. And on the other hand, people in this community will keep searching for this name.

However, I do see that you got a point and I probably wouldn't be entirely happy, would I be you.
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

I'm just wondering, why the OpenMSX is "still" version 0.3.1.

Why isn't it 1.0.0 ? It looks like a complete set, no "bugs" (am I right?) etc., so I'm just curious why it isn't a "final stable release" (or how you name a v1.0) :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Really, it's just a number. It could be 1, 10, or even Moon Unit Zappa for all I care. :D

Return to “General OpenTTD”