[Base Music] OpenMSX v0.3.1

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: OTTD Music Replacement Project

Post by planetmaker »

The attached zip fails to unzip for me (for each song with the same message): skipping: busy_schedule.mid `(null)' method not supported
EDIT2: Thanks a lot. It doesn't make a difference on my machine, but as it seems to help quite a few people I'll commit those changed songs.

EDIT: Trolly Trev, you song 'Keep on rolling' seems to trigger some severe problems with some music drivers. See http://dev.openttdcoop.org/issues/1202 and enclosed links to the FS entry. Could you possibly look into it and revise the song accordingly?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Short update: OpenMSX 0.3.1 is released

This release addresses a few issues which were found with certain songs in the 0.3.0 release and could lead under certain conditions even to a crash of the sound driver and OpenTTD. Seven songs as provided by Xurfu have been addressed in that respect, and 'Keep on Rolling' replaced for similar reason by Jim Redfarn's 'Big Man Boogie'. Especially windows users who have problems with their sound playback or experienced sound-related crashes previously are encouraged to update as these changes work around the touchy sound drivers. Find the new version at the usual places, bananas and http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/openmsx/releases/0.3.1/ For a full changelog see http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/openmsx/ ... ngelog.txt

Contributors, please also see the credits in the readme. If you want to be credited with your full name (and your work here can be indeed very good), please tell me :-). IMHO it might look nicer, if composers would be more than just nicks :-) but real people. Credit whom credit is due :-)
imuh3
Engineer
Engineer

Post by imuh3 »

Hey guys! I'm back after 6 weeks of camp! Anyways, I'm not going to post a song, but, in fact, a program I made that can write the songs itself! I hope I'm not posting anything that'll get me murdered. Also, the website I posted the program on will ban you if you post a virus, and you can scan it yourself. There is absolutely nothing bad.

Actually, I used Game Maker to make it hahah!

If you guys need any more songs, I'll be happy to compose!

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/139891-s ... i-composer
IMUH3! Cheeseton Transport on multi player games.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Of course we need more songs. Especially of the quality you compose ;-)
imuh3
Engineer
Engineer

Post by imuh3 »

I am correct saying that you can't have mp3s, right? Maybe if I post some of my mp3s the devs will make it possible...? :)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Yeah, no mp3 support.
imuh3
Engineer
Engineer

Post by imuh3 »

Here's a quick song I put together. It might be a little too minor...
Attachments
Bankrupt.mid
(9.79 KiB) Downloaded 2086 times
montan1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by montan1 »

make it *.ogg (open source), and some day someone will implement an ogg decoder into OpenTTD
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

montan1 wrote:make it *.ogg (open source), and some day someone will implement an ogg decoder into OpenTTD
I doubt it, currently openttd only support general Midi Files (.gm)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
-lucas-
Engineer
Engineer

Post by -lucas- »

Xrufu wrote:I can tell you that the problem is not the theme's fault. The issue is that the pitch-wheel events are being effectively 'multiplied' putting those moments off tune. That would mean that the 'not ok' pieces are likely setting the pitch-wheel range parameter.[/i]

Hey all,

Sorry i haven't been around for a while :)
I did the theme a long time ago, now i see many people attempting to fix it :)

I did nothing out of the ordinary there, i just recorded pitch bend real time on my synth while recording the guitar part, so it might be sending quite a lot of pitch bend events.

@ all fixed versions - as long as they don't actually change a lot of content or instrument changes (!) i am fine with fixes. But please let me know when a version is replaced through PM so i am at least aware and can listen to it!

Lucas.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

-lucas- wrote:@ all fixed versions - as long as they don't actually change a lot of content or instrument changes (!) i am fine with fixes. But please let me know when a version is replaced through PM so i am at least aware and can listen to it!
It's definitely one of the better pieces in this set :-) But I rather propose that you follow this project, then you'll know, one might easily forget to write a mail :-) Yes, the changed version by Xrufu should be part of OpenMSX right now.

Technically you agreed via the license that anyone can do anything with your song without giving notice to you - as long as they grant the same right to the derivative work to anyone else, too, give the right credits and indicate their changes
-lucas-
Engineer
Engineer

Post by -lucas- »

planetmaker wrote:
Technically you agreed via the license that anyone can do anything with your song without giving notice to you - as long as they grant the same right to the derivative work to anyone else, too, give the right credits and indicate their changes

I do follow this project, it's just that i'm approaching crunch time here at work so i might not think about it very often ;-)

@ license: can you point me towards the line in that agreement? I thought it was more or less this: http://bananas.openttd.org/en/manager/tos/ and that just talks about repackaging original files :)
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Music Replacement Project FAQ

Post by Yexo »

kamnet wrote:What license will be used?

After much spirited discussion, it has been decided that the MIDI files should be released under both the Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 license and the GPL v.2 license. This is to ensure that all music is not only covered under the proper music license, but can also be included for distribution with other software bundles.

Other collaborations for music packs are free to select their own licenses for independent distribution, but at this time for them to be included for distribution with OpenTTD and in-game download via BaNaNaS, the above licenses are the only acceptable ones.
From the second post in this topic. I think that information is a bit outdated and the pack is currently only distributed under GPL v2, but I'm not entirely sure of that. There has been a lot of discussion and several questions whether all authors agreed with the gpl in this very topic.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Besides that that posting states the license(s) used, I usually ask whether you'd be fine with including the song in this set: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=864478#p864478
Yes, meanwhile this set uses only GPL v2, as indicated by the license file which always comes with a download of this project: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ope ... cense.ptxt

EDIT: also easily visible ingame:

EDIT2: here you ask me specifically to include the song and four days later I added it to the set.
Attachments
baseset_licenses.png
baseset_licenses.png (19.87 KiB) Viewed 2953 times
-lucas-
Engineer
Engineer

Post by -lucas- »

planetmaker wrote:Besides that that posting states the license(s) used, I usually ask whether you'd be fine with including the song in this set: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=864478#p864478
Yes, meanwhile this set uses only GPL v2, as indicated by the license file which always comes with a download of this project: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ope ... cense.ptxt

EDIT: also easily visible ingame:

EDIT2: here you ask me specifically to include the song and four days later I added it to the set.
Wooh, wait, this is the wrong discussion! :-D
I very happily gave permission to use my song in the set under BaNaNaS and i find it awesome that it is in there! :)

My question is if anyone under the license i agreed with, can potentially alter my midi file (change chords, delete notes, etc), reupload it and if it can be switched out without me even knowing about it :)

This has nothing to do with the original file i submitted! Sorry for the confusion!
Last edited by -lucas- on 23 Aug 2010 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Anyone is allowed to edit your song and upload the altered versions as long as he gives credits to you and indicates that it's a changed version and that anyone else may do so, too. No notification has to be given to anyone. See also http://creativecommons.org/licenses/GPL/2.0/

Bananas has no license on its own. Bananas has only terms of service, each uploaded thing has its own license, OpenMSX has chosen GPL v2 as its license
Last edited by planetmaker on 23 Aug 2010 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
-lucas-
Engineer
Engineer

Post by -lucas- »

planetmaker wrote:Anyone is allowed to edit your song and upload the altered versions as long as he gives credits to you and indicates that it's a changed version and that anyone else may do so, too. No notification has to be given to anyone.
Ok, that's important for me to know, thanks :)
(and i didn't mean my original comment as a " you should have ", but more as a " i would appreciate it if..." but the discussion got sidetracked because of the 'small print' ;))
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

That it's a thing which is appreciated and possibly considered good manners, if the person is around. But one may only ask that people are kind, one cannot require them by the rules we've chosen :-)

Only the permission to continue without giving notice ensures in a free software world (and we're part of it), that a project can be continued, if people disappear. And it's not like you and me will always stay around at this forum and possibly our contact details change and we leave no note how we could be contaced, what then? But who knows how long this game will continue to exist? It'd be very bad for the game, if then current contributions couldn't be altered and amended and extended in order to meet future requirements.
-lucas-
Engineer
Engineer

Post by -lucas- »

planetmaker wrote:That it's a thing which is appreciated and possibly considered good manners, if the person is around. But one may only ask that people are kind, one cannot require them by the rules we've chosen :-)

Only the permission to continue without giving notice ensures in a free software world (and we're part of it), that a project can be continued, if people disappear. And it's not like you and me will always stay around at this forum and possibly our contact details change and we leave no note how we could be contaced, what then? But who knows how long this game will continue to exist? It'd be very bad for the game, if then current contributions couldn't be altered and amended and extended in order to meet future requirements.
I would very much like to have this discussion, but i'm going to try not to, because it might seem like i'm trying to back out of something i happily agreed to, which is not true (well, the happily agreed part is true ;)) Let's just leave it at " normally music is not comparable to software but this is a special case " :)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

-lucas- wrote:Let's just leave it at " normally music is not comparable to software but this is a special case " :)
Indeed it is :-)

Return to “General OpenTTD”