Recording Openttd

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Recording Openttd

Post by Zhall »

So im trying to record openttd using Fraps, but its not quite working... Is there something special i should be doing, like not using fraps in the first place? 8)
pecet
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Recording Openttd

Post by pecet »

AFAIR i used this http://camstudio.org/ and worked fine.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

IMO you could use the FRAPS if you used the OpenGL blitter patch (it is quite outdated though).
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there used to be an "automatic (giant) screenshot" patch, you could try that instead of directly capturing the screen.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Eddi wrote:there used to be an "automatic (giant) screenshot" patch, you could try that instead of directly capturing the screen.
That would be a patch written by me. Thread can be found here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40114

I weren't able to maintain my own patches lately but luckily planetmaker posted an update in that thread that's fairly recent. But it only creates a series of pictures, so you still need some kind of program to assemble those pictures to a video file.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

The latest one can be found here: http://svn.openttdcoop.org/ottdbash/autostart/patches/

That's the place I can easily update the patch series I maintain for my own please via script instead of visiting all related tt-forums threads :) Mind that I didn't check it for a week whether it still works; I might update it in the upcoming weekend (as the other patches found there).
Hinkores
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hinkores »

Sorry to bother you, but this seems to be the only thread I can find about Fraps screen capture program problems. I have a question about it to ask you guys. Recently I recorded a gameplay video with Fraps and later found it was too big, (the video length is just 10 minutes but the output is near 2G).So I downloaded this application as you can see (http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/ti ... ideos.html) to help me compress Fraps videos. But after i converted the video, the original video file got converted into MP4 and I found there was a huge quality loss and the frame rate also dropped a lot. I just want to know if you guys know any better parameter settings which can make it look good.
Darkhoodness
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Darkhoodness »

Old thread is old! But since I've recently looked at Fraps, I can provide some information.

If using a Windows PC, you can use free video editing software issued by Microsoft, such as Windows Movie Maker, or buy Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere or something. Import your large, raw .avi files into Movie Maker and render them as a movie. Windows Movie Maker only allows you to save as .wmv, but that's still fine for YouTube, and file size will be a few hundred MB rather than 2 or 3 GB. Plus you can edit, merge and crop your footage as you please.

I wanted to record OpenTTD with Fraps to show off a scenario I made 'cause it's the only recording software I have, but Windows updates during the past two or so years have apparently broken it's ability to record the desktop ("Monitor DWM"), even though it still works with 3D applications. It's heavily outdated anyway, I guess.

How have you managed to coax it into recording OpenTTD?

Return to “General OpenTTD”