Train capacities

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MorphiusFaydal
Engineer
Engineer

Train capacities

Post by MorphiusFaydal »

Is it possible to overload a train? Like if I get a cheap engine, and load it to to the gills with iron/coal/goods/whatever, can the engine be overloaded and not operate at it's maximum speed?
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Train capacities

Post by XeryusTC »

Yes it can, if it doesn't have sufficient power :P although that doesnt happen often with the default trains. It also helps if you enable realistic acceleration.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
MorphiusFaydal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MorphiusFaydal »

Ah. How can I tell if it's happening? And what can I do about it?

If it helps; I've got the UK Renewal Set installed.

TY,
Chris
Sarin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sarin »

there's an option in patch settings that enables you to multiply weight of cargo to simulate heavy trains.

And you can tell by looking at train speed, if it just can't get near top speed, it's caused by that, too many curves/climbing or, if railroad car speed limit enabled, by having cars with low speed limit. Solution-add more locos or more powerful one.
MorphiusFaydal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MorphiusFaydal »

Thanks! I had to turn of RR car speed limits.

Is there later developments to take advantage of high-speed trains? Or will my 100 MPH engine always be limited to 50 MPH because of it's cargo?
sc79
Director
Director

Post by sc79 »

Most, if not all, train sets that have wagon speed limits will introduce newer ones with higher speeds and increased capacities as time goes on. UKRS is certainly one of those (though, IIRC, UKRS only has a single iron ore wagon - limited to 80km/h - which is really painful later on). But chances are your freight trains will very rarely run at maximum engine speed, especially if you have the freight multiplier set to 5 or more.
MorphiusFaydal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MorphiusFaydal »

So part of it's a problem with my settings, but part of it is UKRS? And why would you not want a cargo train to run as fast as possible? How does the freight multiplier work?
sc79
Director
Director

Post by sc79 »

Wagon speed limits and the freight multiplier (increases the weight of freight to make these trains heavier) is mainly about increasing realism; if you want your freight trains to run as fast as possible, simply turn them both off.
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

It comes down to operating cost per ton/mile. Put two locomotives on that coal drag or iron ore train, and it will move faster- but you just doubled your locomotive cost. For cargoes like goods and food that are more time sensitive, yeah, I use fast trains. But for nonperishable cargoes, I tend to run long, slow trains. This lets you take advantage of slow, powerful locomotives.
When I can, I tend to dump coal/iron ore at a transfer station using either small locomotives or trucks, then use unit trains on 'full load' to move it to the final destination.
MorphiusFaydal wrote:So part of it's a problem with my settings, but part of it is UKRS? And why would you not want a cargo train to run as fast as possible? How does the freight multiplier work?
Who is John Galt?
MorphiusFaydal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MorphiusFaydal »

ostlandr wrote:It comes down to operating cost per ton/mile. Put two locomotives on that coal drag or iron ore train, and it will move faster- but you just doubled your locomotive cost. For cargoes like goods and food that are more time sensitive, yeah, I use fast trains. But for nonperishable cargoes, I tend to run long, slow trains. This lets you take advantage of slow, powerful locomotives.
When I can, I tend to dump coal/iron ore at a transfer station using either small locomotives or trucks, then use unit trains on 'full load' to move it to the final destination.
MorphiusFaydal wrote:So part of it's a problem with my settings, but part of it is UKRS? And why would you not want a cargo train to run as fast as possible? How does the freight multiplier work?
I've been using trains that universally max out at 4 grid squares long. I'm also still trying to learn about mainline/sideline/branch line, and how to properly build an effective network. What I've been doing is building a R__L mainline and then running lines off to my RoRo stations at each industry from there.

How does a transfer station work? Just build a station, have my iron/coal trains go there, with "transfer" orders? Then a second train on "full load" picks up fro there before unloading at the final destination?
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

Essentially, yes. It's a way of simplifying the branchline-mainline idea. Basically you have a small train or two which go between several nearby industries (eg you have three coal mines together) and take the coal from two to a station attached to the third.

You then use longer trains to take the coal from that station, and the two feeders, to a power station which may be on the other side of the map.

The plus side is that you can move the coal away from the mines faster - so their rating goes up, and that you have fewer (bigger) trains on the mainline.

Downsides are that you can end up with coal piling up that the middle station and have to keep more of an eye on that station, and that the coal from the sideline mines has to be loaded and unloaded twice.
Jon
SebOfBorg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SebOfBorg »

Hello All,

In a version of Open TTD, long time ago, I have had in memory we had a tool to change the capaities of the components like train, bus etc...
Something like having the ability to load a Bus to 5000 people.

Do you remember the tool or the way to do that ?

Thanks
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Some NewGRFs (eg. the Japan Set) have parameters for that.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Some old games I started with 1.1 have a major speed loss on climbing hills that is greatly reduced in newer versions.
Was this a coded change affecting everything or is there a config option?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

There are settings, of course :)

There is a "train acceleration model" setting, which can be "original" and "realistic". The former has the decrease in speed behavior that you describe. It is quite a crude setting.
Instead, you may want to change the "slope steepness". I also like to change the "weight multiplier for freight", but that's freight-only
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “General OpenTTD”