German translation

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Germans: help translating...

Post by Eddi »

bleistift2 wrote:"Ein Tag entspricht 74 Ticks"
a few thoughts to this:

a) that should really be in a topic non-specific to german translation, as the english string should have this as well. the job of a translator is to try not to invent new stuff that isn't in the original. (as long as it's about technical stuff. fictional or cultural stuff is a different matter)
b) this should be in the description of the setting, not the name of the setting (you can use more words there)
c) the number in this text must somehow be adjustable, the number 74 should not be hardcoded into the text. (*hint at daylength patches*)
bleistift2
Engineer
Engineer

Minor changes in nightly r24914 (14th Jan '13)

Post by bleistift2 »

Hi,
I've checked the latest nightly build and found some things that you might want to have a look at.
Attached you find a file comparing the in-game text (left) and my version (right). Please let me know what you think of it.
(It only compares the first menu ("Interface"))
Attachments
differences.png
(51.08 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

I'd write "pfadbasiert" without a capital letter.
bleistift2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bleistift2 »

Of course, thanks. Looks like I just deleted the hyphen without checking whether it was still a noun.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i think the whole sentence feels wrong and should be rewritten...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Eddi wrote:i think the whole sentence feels wrong and should be rewritten...
"Zeigt .. an" instead "Hebt .. hervor"?

regards
Michael
bleistift2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bleistift2 »

I think "hebt hervor" fits the situation better. "zeigt an" sounds like a list of reserved track segments is created and displayed, which is not the case. "Hervorheben" expresses just a different look of the reserved tracks (with a highlighter you highlight* (hervorheben) text by just making it look different; "anzeigen" would mean that you copied notes or something)
*sounds stupid, I know
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

bleistift2 wrote:I think "hebt hervor" fits the situation better. "zeigt an" sounds like a list of reserved track segments is created and displayed, which is not the case. [...]
- IMO, "hebt hervor" isn´t easy to understand outside the context, which might be a problem for the novice user,
- "anzeigen" doesn´t refer to "showing the track", but to "showing the track reservation", and that´s exactly what it does.

IMO, the use of "hebt ... hervor" is one of the key elements for this sentence to sound "wrong", ..., I mean, you won´t find a shorter/better sentence by keeping it.

regards
Michael
bleistift2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bleistift2 »

michael blunck wrote:[...]"anzeigen" doesn´t refer to "showing the track", but to "showing the track reservation", and that´s exactly what it does.[...]
I think it shows (anzeigen) the track reservation by highlighting (hervorheben) the reserved track segments, so "zeigt [...] an", indeed, fits the situation better; you're right.

Another thing:
Nachricht wrote:Gleise können hier nicht verlegt werden...
Signal muß zuerst entfernt werden.
Signal muss zuerst entfernt werden.
bleistift2
Engineer
Engineer

Two typos

Post by bleistift2 »

"Erweiterte Einstellungen" -> "Konstruktion" -> "Landschaftsbau unter Gebäuden, Gleisen, usw. erlauben"
Erlaube Erdbauarbeiten unter Gebäuden oder Infrastruktur ohne sie zu entfernen
Erlaube Erdbauarbeiten unter Gebäuden oder Infrastruktur, ohne sie zu entfernen

"Erweiterte Einstellungen" -> "Wirtschaft" -> "Industrien"
Maximalabstand vom Kartenrand für Ölrafinerien
Maximalabstand vom Kartenrand für Ölraffinerien
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Two typos

Post by Eddi »

bleistift2 wrote:"Erweiterte Einstellungen" -> "Konstruktion" -> "Landschaftsbau unter Gebäuden, Gleisen, usw. erlauben"
Erlaube Erdbauarbeiten unter Gebäuden oder Infrastruktur ohne sie zu entfernen
Erlaube Erdbauarbeiten unter Gebäuden oder Infrastruktur, ohne sie zu entfernen
i think the comma is optional nowadays, but who really knows what the rules are anymore...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

bleistift2 wrote: Erlaube Erdbauarbeiten unter Gebäuden oder Infrastruktur, ohne sie zu entfernen
Maybe a bit shorter and more fluent?

-> "Erlaube Erdbauarbeiten unter bestehenden Gebäuden und Infrastruktur."

(Whatever "Infrastruktur" means in this context ...)

regards
Michael
bleistift2
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Two typos

Post by bleistift2 »

Eddi wrote:
bleistift2 wrote:[...]Erlaube Erdbauarbeiten unter Gebäuden oder Infrastruktur, ohne sie zu entfernen
i think the comma is optional nowadays, but who really knows what the rules are anymore...
I just checked, it is not. Usually there needs to be a comma when there's an infinitive clause ("zu entfernen", "wegzugeben", etc.), but it can be left out if the sentence doesn't become ambiguous, unless the clause begins with „um“, „ohne“, „statt“, „anstatt“, „außer“ or „als“.
German comma rules are a pain
michael blunck wrote:[...]-> "Erlaube Erdbauarbeiten unter bestehenden Gebäuden und Infrastruktur."
That "unter" doesn't fit to well, either, don't you think? The option is about land moving next to infrastructure and buildings, not under them.
michael blunck wrote:(Whatever "Infrastruktur" means in this context ...)[...]
Roads, railways, airports
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

bleistift2 wrote:
michael blunck wrote: [...]-> "Erlaube Erdbauarbeiten unter bestehenden Gebäuden und Infrastruktur."
That "unter" doesn't fit to well, either, don't you think?
The option is about land moving next to infrastructure and buildings, not under them.
Well, "unter" is from your sentence, isn´t it? And your question wasn´t about the "unter" but about that comma.
bleistift2 wrote:
michael blunck wrote: (Whatever "Infrastruktur" means in this context ...)[...]
Roads, railways, airports
That´s only a very small part of it: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrastruktur

regards
Michael
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i have a different suggestion: just remove this setting (who turns that off??)
bleistift2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bleistift2 »

michael blunck wrote:
bleistift2 wrote:
michael blunck wrote: [...]-> "Erlaube Erdbauarbeiten unter bestehenden Gebäuden und Infrastruktur."
That "unter" doesn't fit to well, either, don't you think?
The option is about land moving next to infrastructure and buildings, not under them.
Well, "unter" is from your sentence, isn´t it? And your question wasn´t about the "unter" but about that comma.
It says "unter" in the original version as well. And why can't I suggest two improvements; do I have to make another post with the same lines?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

"unter" is technically and gameplay-wise correct. It allows to modify the slope of a tile which something is built upon. Not only of adjacent tiles.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: German translation

Post by Eddi »

By some random browsing around i found the following strings, which are a bit inconsistent, maybe a translator could take a look at that?

Code: Select all

STR_ENGINE_PREVIEW_COST_WEIGHT_SPEED_POWER                      :{BLACK}Kosten: {CURRENCY_LONG}   Gewicht: {WEIGHT_SHORT}{}Geschwindigk.: {VELOCITY} Leistung: {POWER}{}Betriebskosten: {CURRENCY_LONG} pro Jahr{}Kapazität: {CARGO_LONG}
STR_ENGINE_PREVIEW_COST_WEIGHT_SPEED_POWER_MAX_TE               :{BLACK}Preis: {CURRENCY_LONG} Gewicht: {WEIGHT_SHORT}{}Max. Geschwindigkeit: {VELOCITY}  Leistung: {POWER}  Max. Zugkraft: {6:FORCE}{}Betriebskosten: {4:CURRENCY_LONG}/yr{}Kapazität: {5:CARGO_LONG}
STR_ENGINE_PREVIEW_COST_MAX_SPEED_CAP_RUNCOST                   :{BLACK}Preis: {CURRENCY_LONG} Höchstgeschw.: {VELOCITY}{}Kapazität: {CARGO_LONG}{}Betriebskosten: {CURRENCY_LONG}/Jahr
STR_ENGINE_PREVIEW_COST_MAX_SPEED_TYPE_CAP_CAP_RUNCOST          :{BLACK}Kosten: {CURRENCY_LONG} Max. Geschw.: {VELOCITY}{}Flugzeugtyp: {STRING}{}Kapazität: {CARGO_LONG}, {CARGO_LONG}{}Betriebskosten: {CURRENCY_LONG}/Jahr
STR_ENGINE_PREVIEW_COST_MAX_SPEED_TYPE_CAP_RUNCOST              :{BLACK}Kosten: {CURRENCY_LONG} Max. Geschw.: {VELOCITY}{}Flugzeugtyp: {STRING}{}Kapazität: {CARGO_LONG}{}Betriebskosten: {CURRENCY_LONG}/Jahr
STR_ENGINE_PREVIEW_COST_MAX_SPEED_TYPE_RANGE_CAP_CAP_RUNCOST    :{BLACK}Kosten: {CURRENCY_LONG} Max. Geschw.: {VELOCITY}{}Flugzeugtyp: {STRING} Reichweite: {COMMA} Felder{}Capacity: {CARGO_LONG}, {CARGO_LONG}{}Betriebskosten: {CURRENCY_LONG}/Jahr
STR_ENGINE_PREVIEW_COST_MAX_SPEED_TYPE_RANGE_CAP_RUNCOST        :{BLACK}Kosten: {CURRENCY_LONG} Max. Geschw.: {VELOCITY}{}Flugzeugtyp: {STRING} Reichweite: {COMMA} tiles{}Kapazität: {CARGO_LONG}{}Laufende Kosten: {CURRENCY_LONG}/yr
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello

In a Github issue the user Wuzzy2 mentioned an incorrect translation for the string "STR_NEWS_INDUSTRY_PRODUCTION_INCREASE_FARM".

English original:
Improved farming methods at {INDUSTRY} are expected to double production!
German translation:
Neue Getreideanbaumethoden bei {INDUSTRY} werden Erträge verdoppeln!
The translation of "farming methods" as "Getreideanbaumethoden" seems to be to specific. Wuzzy2 proposes the more general "Anbaumethoden" as translation.

Tschö, Auge

[edit]: corrected a typo
Last edited by Auge on 15 Aug 2019 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
GunChleoc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GunChleoc »

The proposed change sounds good to me.

Return to “General OpenTTD”