German translation

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Germans: help translating...

Post by Eddi »

sulai wrote:The "c" Seems to be official: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galicische_Sprache
calling wikipedia "official" is a little far fetched...

on google, both versions give roughly equal results, but i really think it looks better with z. "c" before "i" goes against any kind of orthographic intuition i have...
Eddi wrote: also, there is still that unresolved issue about generally renaming the "advanced" signals.
True. What about just calling them "PBS Signale"?
i'd really call them "Fahrstraßensignale"... abbreviations are bad.
sulai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sulai »

"Grundstoffindustrie" is nice, {RAW_STRING} fixed.

Now, should we use "nonstop", "ohne Halt" or "direkt"?
Attachments
german.diff
(59.92 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

sulai wrote:Now, should we use "nonstop", "ohne Halt" or "direkt"?
Depends.

E.g., in TTDPatch we first had "direkt", but that had to be changed to "ohne Halt", because in the train´s schedule it said "passiere <station>" which makes sense with "ohne Halt" or "non-stop" but not with "direkt".

regards
Michael
rbn2903
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rbn2903 »

As I unterstand it (of course my link is not an expert forum), it should say "angewendet" (do sth. to someone else) and not "angewandt" (do sth. to yourself):
http://pda.leo.org/forum/viewGeneraldis ... de&lang=de

What do you think?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

if you'd read till the end of that discussion, this has absolutely nothing to do with reflexive or transitive use of the verb.
Durch grammatischen Ausgleich innerhalb der Wortformen kommt es schon in mittelhochdeutscher Zeit zu Doppelformen (mhd: wante - wente/ gewant - gewendet, s. Lexer), die Verwendung ist schreiberabhängig.
Nimm, welche Form Dir am richtigsten erscheint und welche sich am korrektesten anfühlt. Beide sind gleichwertig."
i'm still in favour of "angewandt"
sulai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sulai »

"ohne Halt" is more precisely than "direkt", I think. Because a train can do stops at stations and still go a "direct" way to its destiny station. "ohne Halt" is most expressive. I replaced the patch settings text with "Zwischenhalt", so it's not ambiguous anymore.

What do you guys think about "Fahrstraßensignal" as translation for the advanced signals?
Attachments
german.diff
(59.94 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

The online-train-database of Austrian Rail Guys use the term "Direktverbindung" (direct connection), if you don't have to change to another train somewhere. This does not mean, that there are no halts in between.

Which advanced signals are you talking about? I think Fahrstraßensignal is a term only known by railfans.
LiOn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LiOn »

Advanced settings:

I would avoid imperative form in the patch settings dialog. A setting is a statement, so a declarative sentence should be used.

Instead of
{Erlaube das Bauen von sehr langen Brücken: An/Aus}
better use
{Bau von sehr langen Brücken erlauben: An/Aus}
and so on...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

BTW, with regards to http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=727107#p727107 and Eddi´s proposal to avoid personal pronouns, lots and lots of strings would have to be changed to achieve consistency.

In addition, it seems that (for all switches) "on|off" would have to be exchanged by "yes|no" then?

E.g.,

- "Zeige Fahrzeuggeschwindigkeit in der Statusleiste:" <an|aus>
+ "Fahrzeuggeschwindigkeit in der Statusleiste anzeigen:" <ja|nein>

What do you think?

regards
Michael
sulai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sulai »

Yesterday, many good translations found their way into SVN. These committed strings are no longer included in the diff I attached.

The vehicle order window is one of the most important elements of the game. Please download the german.lng.txt file, rename it to german.lng, put it into your ottd lang/ folder and test the order window in-game, and help improving the translation there!
Attachments
german.diff
(42.48 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
german.lng.txt
(92.1 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

+STR_CONFIG_PATCHES_TIP :{BLACK}Erweiterte Einstellungen (Patches)
the general policy is actually to remove the word "Patch" from the game (because they are not patches at all)
+STR_CONFIG_PATCHES_RAW_INDUSTRY_CONSTRUCTION_METHOD :{LTBLUE}Manueller Bau von Grundstoffindustrien: {ORANGE}{STRING}
what about "Rohstoff" instead of "Grundstoff"?
+STR_CONFIG_PATCHES_RAW_INDUSTRY_CONSTRUCTION_METHOD_NONE :nicht erlauben
STR_CONFIG_PATCHES_RAW_INDUSTRY_CONSTRUCTION_METHOD_NORMAL :wie andere Industrien
STR_CONFIG_PATCHES_RAW_INDUSTRY_CONSTRUCTION_METHOD_PROSPECTING :mit Prospektion
"nicht erlaubt"
"durch Prospektion"
+STR_NETWORK_MAP_SIZE_CAPTION_TIP :{BLACK}Spielfeldgröße{}Klick sortiert nach größe
"Größe" is a noun
-STR_6804_CUSTOM :{BLACK}Benutzerdefiniert
+STR_6804_CUSTOM :{BLACK}freies Spiel
i don't agree to this change, that's definitely not fitting to what the button does
+STR_ORDER_DROP_FULL_LOAD_ALL :Volladen jeder Fracht
"Volladen" is still incorrect spelling

and now for something completely different:
STR_NETWORK_PASSWORD_TIP :{BLACK}Vergebe ein Passwort, um zu verhindern, dass unbefugte Leute beitreten können
STR_SIGN_OSKTITLE :{BLACK}Gebe einen namen für dieses Schild ein
*shiver* ... these are not even correct imperatives
my suggestions would be:
"Ein Passwort verhindert, dass unbefugte Leute beitreten."
"Einen Namen für dieses Schild eingeben."
STR_01F6_SELECT_CUSTOM_1_USER_DEFINED :{BLACK}Programm 'Benutzerdefiniert 1' wählen
STR_01F7_SELECT_CUSTOM_2_USER_DEFINED :{BLACK}Programm 'Benutzerdefiniert 2' wählen
STR_01FA_CLICK_ON_MUSIC_TRACK_TO :{BLACK}Klicke auf den Musiktitel, um ihn in das laufende Programm zu übernehmen (nur für Benutzerdefiniert 1 und 2)
STR_CLICK_ON_TRACK_TO_REMOVE :{BLACK}Klicke auf einen Musiktitel, um ihn aus der aktuellen Liste zu entfernen(Custom1 or Custom2 only)
STR_01F8_CLEAR_CURRENT_PROGRAM_CUSTOM1 :{BLACK}Lösche laufendes Programm (nur für Benutzerdefiniert 1 und 2)
these must be adjusted similarly to the playlist captions
STR_CREATE_LAKE :{BLACK}Wasser erzeugen.{}Baut einen Kanal; Bei gedrückter Strg.-Taste wird ein Wasserfeld erzeugt, das umliegendes Land flutet.
abbreviations that end with the last letter of the word do not use a dot -> "Strg-Taste" ["Strg" stands for "Steuerung"]
several instances of these exist
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i have made a Patch that allows localising the thousand separator for non-currency numbers in the language files

affected are all numbers that appear as {COMMA} in the language file, e.g. town population and waiting cargo at stations

currency-separators are not affected (currencies are not specified in the language files at all)
Aylo
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aylo »

I would really suggest "PBS-Signal(e)" instead of "Fahrstarssensignal", because no "normal" people use this word (I have never heard of it) and in the OpenTTD wiki it is also called "PBS signal". So when somenone doesn't know, what a "Fahrstrassensignal" is, he want to look in the wiki and doesn't know, what the English word for this is. He would never think about PBS, because it is an OpenTTD word.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

they aren't called "PBS" signals in the english version either...

and abbreviations are bad anyway.

and not everything that's on the wiki is actually correct...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Eddi wrote:what about "Rohstoff" instead of "Grundstoff"?
Checks google ...

-> Grundstoffindustrie = 110,000 hits
-> Rohstoffindustrie = 155,000 hits

-> Grundstoff = 207,000 hits
-> Rohstoff = 2,620,000 hits

I´ve already asked if we should switch to "Rohstoff" before. I´d like to second Eddi now.
Aylo wrote:I would really suggest "PBS-Signal(e)" instead of "Fahrstarssensignal", because no "normal" people use this word (I have never heard of it)
Checks google ...
Fahrstrassensignal = 4 hits (2 in German tt-forums, BTW)

Nevertheless, "PBS" = "path-based signal" = "Fahrstrassensignal" 8)

regards
Michael
sulai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sulai »

Hi Eddi, thanks for counter checking again =)

I agree with all your annotations and added them, except those:
Eddi wrote:
-STR_6804_CUSTOM :{BLACK}Benutzerdefiniert
+STR_6804_CUSTOM :{BLACK}freies Spiel
i don't agree to this change, that's definitely not fitting to what the button does
"Benutzerdefiniert" does not fit on the button, and i think "freies Spiel" is a good alternative. What translation do you suggest?
Eddi wrote:
+STR_ORDER_DROP_FULL_LOAD_ALL :Volladen jeder Fracht
"Volladen" is still incorrect spelling
I changed that ones, they still fit on the button. BTW, aren't we using "Alte Rechtschreibung"? Should it be called "Straßenbahn" or "Strassenbahn"?
Eddi wrote:
STR_01F6_SELECT_CUSTOM_1_USER_DEFINED :{BLACK}Programm 'Benutzerdefiniert 1' wählen
STR_01F7_SELECT_CUSTOM_2_USER_DEFINED :{BLACK}Programm 'Benutzerdefiniert 2' wählen
STR_01FA_CLICK_ON_MUSIC_TRACK_TO :{BLACK}Klicke auf den Musiktitel, um ihn in das laufende Programm zu übernehmen (nur für Benutzerdefiniert 1 und 2)
STR_CLICK_ON_TRACK_TO_REMOVE :{BLACK}Klicke auf einen Musiktitel, um ihn aus der aktuellen Liste zu entfernen(Custom1 or Custom2 only)
STR_01F8_CLEAR_CURRENT_PROGRAM_CUSTOM1 :{BLACK}Lösche laufendes Programm (nur für Benutzerdefiniert 1 und 2)
these must be adjusted similarly to the playlist captions
I changed the button captions to "Benutzerdef. 1".
Attachments
german.diff
(49.12 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
german.lng.txt
(92.11 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

in all honesty i also do not like "freies spiel"

i have heard "angepasst" a few times from other people though, which could be an option

i too just did a few changes, but have noticed that i would love to rework most of the advanced settings strings
sulai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sulai »

LiOn wrote:[...]avoid imperative form in the patch settings dialog. A setting is a statement, so a declarative sentence should be used.
Instead of
{Erlaube das Bauen von sehr langen Brücken: An/Aus}
better use
{Bau von sehr langen Brücken erlauben: An/Aus}
[...]
michael blunck wrote:BTW, with regards to http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=727107#p727107 and Eddi´s proposal to avoid personal pronouns, lots and lots of strings would have to be changed to achieve consistency.

In addition, it seems that (for all switches) "on|off" would have to be exchanged by "yes|no" then?

E.g.,

- "Zeige Fahrzeuggeschwindigkeit in der Statusleiste:" <an|aus>
+ "Fahrzeuggeschwindigkeit in der Statusleiste anzeigen:" <ja|nein>

What do you think?

regards
Michael
I think it's a good idea, but there are *many* strings to correct, to avoid the personal "du" or the imperative form. If you'd like to do it, go for it.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

PBS
what about calling them "Pfadsignal"? (path signal)
That would still be true to its meaning, and also easy to get the connection from "pfad" to "path" as it's an easy translation, compared to translating "Fahrstra[sz]e".

sulai wrote:I changed that ones, they still fit on the button. BTW, aren't we using "Alte Rechtschreibung"? Should it be called "Straßenbahn" or "Strassenbahn"?
I'm strongly against using old rules that are nowadays considered as mistakes. We should definately use the new spelling. IIRC in some cases the spelling reform has left the possibility to use two different ways of writing something, but in most cases, we should use the new way.

In either old and new spelling, you'd call it "Stra[sz]enbahn" though, because the preceding a is a long vowel (sorry, I can't type a sharp s [sz] on this machine)! Only after short vowels, like in "Pa[sz]" -> "Pass", the spelling reform changed [sz] to ss.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

even though i personally write old spelling (because that's what i learned), the official translation should definitely be new spelling.

and Roujin is right, "Straße" has a long vowel, so even in new spelling, it keeps the ß.

Return to “General OpenTTD”