Newby questions.

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Rijinals
Engineer
Engineer

Newby questions.

Post by Rijinals »

Hi everyone,

Just a few questions I have got that I would appreciate if anyne could answer.
Basically as a kid I played Transport Tycoon all the time. Now I have found this website and have done some research and loaded up OPEN transport Tycoon Deluxe. I have picked out some GRF's that I think I will like in my game and uploaded them to. So my questions are:-

1) When I build a rural station or one of the other non standard stations, they are all pink. I have the options to build platforms, loading hoppers, cranes etc etc but they all come out pink and not natural colours like I see on the screenshots. Whats all that about?

2) Back in the day all you had was your company colour and all your vehicles and carts were that colour. I have noticed on the screenshots to that people have different coloured trains and more realistic carts that they are pulling. How do you do that?

3) I can not deploy a city station - is this because its still early in the game and the towns are indeed not citys yet? i.e. I will be able to deploy once a town has grown up?

4) Finally I have loaded on new vehiles as a GRF but can not seem to buy them. Is this because they come out on a certain date like the standard vehicles?

Cheers!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Newby questions.

Post by Purno »

Rijinals wrote:Hi everyone,

Just a few questions I have got that I would appreciate if anyne could answer.
Basically as a kid I played Transport Tycoon all the time. Now I have found this website and have done some research and loaded up OPEN transport Tycoon Deluxe. I have picked out some GRF's that I think I will like in my game and uploaded them to. So my questions are:-

1) When I build a rural station or one of the other non standard stations, they are all pink. I have the options to build platforms, loading hoppers, cranes etc etc but they all come out pink and not natural colours like I see on the screenshots. Whats all that about?
TTD uses two pallettes: DOS and Windows. Windows GRFs are usually marked with a "w" at the end. Try the other one you use now. SO if you use the DOS GRFs, try the Windows GRFs, and vice versa.
2) Back in the day all you had was your company colour and all your vehicles and carts were that colour. I have noticed on the screenshots to that people have different coloured trains and more realistic carts that they are pulling. How do you do that?
Some sets use company colors, some sets use dual company colors, and some sets use real colors. It's up the GRF Author which option to go for, you as player can't really do much except choosing another GRF (e.g. UKRS is in dual company colors, while DBSet got real colors)
3) I can not deploy a city station - is this because its still early in the game and the towns are indeed not citys yet? i.e. I will be able to deploy once a town has grown up?
GRF Authors can make stations available after a certain date, this is most likely the case. There may be other restricitons too, the GRF Authors coded in. You'll have to ask them.
4) Finally I have loaded on new vehiles as a GRF but can not seem to buy them. Is this because they come out on a certain date like the standard vehicles?
Assuming the GRFs don't override themselves (I think OpenTTD got the multiple GRF loading patch on as default?), vehicles can be unavailable if you haven't reached the year yet, or if they aren't available in that climate. It's up to the GRF Author to make these settings, so you as a player can't do much (except making sure the multiple GRF loading patch is on).
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Rijinals
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rijinals »

Thank you for all you help there.

Do you know where I can get the train company coloured grf from?
Rijinals
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rijinals »

If you go to Scenarios and look at the bottom of page 5, there is a guy with a link on called:-

[OTT] Screenshots from Southern Germany

he has got the cool carriges and trains. Do you know that grf?
Rijinals
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rijinals »

sorry, i meant screenshots
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Please use the edit button to edit your post.

Most GRFs can be find via Linkage and GRFCrawler, both links are in my signature.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Rijinals
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rijinals »

ok cool - I think it was a UKRS ot something. Will go look for it now!
Cheers
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Rijinals wrote:OPEN transport Tycoon Deluxe.
There exists no program by that name. This is not the correct place to discuss programs that do not exist.

The Transport Tycoon Deluxe forum section is also not the correct place to discuss programs that do exist, unless they are released by Microprose and contain the word "Transport" somewhere in their name.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Cool down dude.
OTTD would suffice.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.

Return to “General OpenTTD”