OpenTTD Auto Update - 2.0.6

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenTTD Auto Update - 1.1 and 2.0 beta 1

Post by dihedral »

no, because that is where the app gets the info from... i.e. which games to list, and which revision / version they are running and where to get the updates from, etc.
what would you expect?
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Is there any way i can work around this problem?
dihedral wrote:no, because that is where the app gets the info from... i.e. which games to list, and which revision / version they are running and where to get the updates from, etc.
what would you expect?
Not exactly. If you are behind proxy server, then ignore this, go to program settings and set up your proxy host and port and then reconnect.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

As CommanderZ said, if the problem is that you need tot go via a proxy, then ignore the warning and you get into the program. There you can go into the proxy options (via the options dialog) and tell the program which proxy it should use.

Another thing you can do, and preferable you should do first, is to check if you can access http://users.tt-forums.net/ottdau/ from a browser or not. If that don't work in your browser, then it is either temporary down or you has a local ISP problem or something. If it work in your browser, but not in the program you might have a proxy problem.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
HyBeRbOoM xLc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HyBeRbOoM xLc »

Interesting. I can't access to that site yesterday, but it's working fine now.

Thanks for pointing it out :)
<CTRL>, <ALT>, <DEL> ;)
Painy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Painy »

Every time I run OpenTTD Auto Update an empty "OpenTTD\data"-folder is created in my "C:\Documents and Settings\User" folder, althought my OpenTTD and Auto Update are located on my D:\-Drive.
Can I prevent Auto Updater from creating this empty folder on my C:\-Drive somehow?
It's quite annoying to delete this empty folder every day.

Nevertheless it's still a great tool!

Greetings, Painy
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Log on as an administrator (And not "User", even if "User" is an admin. Create a temporary user if necessary.) Then move the entire content of C:\Documents and Settings\User to D:\Documents and Settings\User and use NTFSLink to create C:\Documents and Settings\User as a junction that points to D:\Documents and Settings\User.

I've done this with things that think "Install to D:\Program Files\" means "Dump 3 GB of data in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data", though not to the scale of moving the entire user.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Painy wrote:Every time I run OpenTTD Auto Update an empty "OpenTTD\data"-folder is created in my "C:\Documents and Settings\User" folder, althought my OpenTTD and Auto Update are located on my D:\-Drive.
Can I prevent Auto Updater from creating this empty folder on my C:\-Drive somehow?
First, you wrote Documents and settings\User\OpenTTD, which I checked on my computer, and that directory does not exist. So I assume you wanted to write Documents and settings\User\My Documents\OpenTTD, where "User" is your user name.

Short answer - No

Intermediate answer - You can stop it from creating it by putting a file "OpenTTD" in my documents, but that will unfortunally stop OpenTTDAutoUpdate 2.0 Beta 1 from working. (I tested locally)

Long answer - OpenTTD uses My Documents\OpenTTD\data for storage of data files that is shared between all OpenTTD installations that your user uses. This path is something OpenTTD has decided, not OpenTTDAutoUpdate. But because OpenTTDAutoUpdate (ottdau) work with the #openttdcoop grfpack which usually is stored there it needs to look for it there. When I wrote the program I simply reused my code that make sure a specific path exists, to make things simple. (it uses same code for some directories inside the OpenTTDAutoUpdate directory where it downloads files). So my guess (being 6-8 months since I wrote it) that I didn't saw any reason for why one would not want to have that directory.

And as DaleStan said, if you want to have all user files on D: you better move your home directory there. If you want to have multiple OpenTTD installations to share the same data files you would better do so, as OpenTTD looks in My Documents\OpenTTD\data in addition to the data dir of the OpenTTD installations for data files.
Painy wrote:It's quite annoying to delete this empty folder every day.
Any reason why you need to remove it? An empty folder doesn't take that much space.
Painy wrote:Nevertheless it's still a great tool!
Thanks
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
fanioz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by fanioz »

Yes, this is a great tool. It worked behind my proxy too. :D
By the way, NoAI has been merged into trunk, so you may update your OpenTTD AutoUpdate too. :)
Emm.. just a suggestion if it is possible :
- Download only the files that have been changed since last download (e.g. openttd.exe and *.lng files) instead of the entire zip-build.
Thanks for your great tool
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English was bad :D

**[OpenTTD AI]** Image
***[NewGRF] *** Image
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

fanioz wrote:Yes, this is a great tool. It worked behind my proxy too. :D
By the way, NoAI has been merged into trunk, so you may update your OpenTTD AutoUpdate too. :)
Hi, haven't taken me the time to fix the NoAI issue, but today I did that. The problem that I have fixed is the one that the server told the client that "Last NoAI" updates are branch nightlies of branch noai, even if finger.openttd.org gives a trunk nightly. The fix I have made is that the server now interpret the answer from finger.openttd.org a tinny bit more and checks if a "branch nightly" has nightlies/trunk as path, then it tells the client that it got a "nightly".

The only remaining glitch is that if you have a NoAI binary installed the client will in the detailed info add a '-' after the revision number but no branch name where it presents what version it will update to. This is a bug in the client. But once the branch binary has been updated to a trunk binary, this glitch do not longer appear.

So it should handle merges to trunk better now that it did before. The idea is that it should handle merges without me doing something special at that day. As http://finger.openttd.org gives the information that trunk nightly should be used instead. But at some point the "Last NoAI" target should possible be removed.

fanioz wrote:Emm.. just a suggestion if it is possible :
- Download only the files that have been changed since last download (e.g. openttd.exe and *.lng files) instead of the entire zip-build.
That is not really possible. At http://binaries.openttd.org/nightlies/trunk/r15297/ you only find complete zip files. A problem you also get how to you handle update from revision X to Y, and allow partial updates for longer steps than from nightly yesterday -> today. One could get all partial updates going one step forward from X to Y and apply them in a sequence, but then you need to know the revision numbers for each step. This would require quite some work to work.
fanioz wrote:Thanks for your great tool
Thanks for your feedback on it. Feedback from real users is nicer than just black and white download counts. :)
Painy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Painy »

DaleStan wrote:Log on as an administrator (And not "User", even if "User" is an admin. Create a temporary user if necessary.) Then move the entire content of C:\Documents and Settings\User to D:\Documents and Settings\User and use NTFSLink to create C:\Documents and Settings\User as a junction that points to D:\Documents and Settings\User.
I'll give it a try, thanks.

First, you wrote Documents and settings\User\OpenTTD, which I checked on my computer, and that directory does not exist. So I assume you wanted to write Documents and settings\User\My Documents\OpenTTD, where "User" is your user name.
Yes you're right, I'm not using an english Windows XP, so I don't know what all these folders are called in english. You know what I meant :)
Zuu wrote:Any reason why you need to remove it? An empty folder doesn't take that much space.
Simply because I'm using Drive D:\ for games and want to keep my C:\ Drive clean from games' stuff.
Also I'm only using one single OTTD installation so I don't see any reason to have OTTD/OTTDAU files outside their own directory (D:\Games\).
fanioz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by fanioz »

Ah, yes, 2 more suggestion (again) :P
--------
Would you like to make it portable ? (Hmm.. like OpenTTD does, as I have both stable and trunk version and running them from my flashdisk).
Manually, I follow these step every moving to other pc:
- Plug in the flashdisk
- goto folder ottdau
- edit the file "installations.xml"
- find and replace drive letter inside <path></path>
- save - Run - and updated :D
---------
While downloading (updating), the program looks like not responding, maybe a progress bar would be nice. (or it's just because my slow connection :wink: )
--------

Maybe not so much people need it in that way, then just ignore this suggestion. :D

**[OpenTTD AI]** Image
***[NewGRF] *** Image
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

fanioz wrote:Would you like to make it portable ? (Hmm.. like OpenTTD does, as I have both stable and trunk version and running them from my flashdisk).
fanioz, for automatic updates on other (non windows) systems, you may want to have a look at the autostart script available from our svn server: http://svn.openttdcoop.org/tools/autostart/ . It can easily be adopted to fit other servers than the pre-configured openttdcoop servers.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

When i use programs and files that uses absolute paths i make a bat or cmd file that maps the directory that the bat file lays in to some rarely used drive letter. Like z or q. This way i can make absolute paths that work no matter on which letter the flash drive happen to get.

The command you should use is: subst

I can't check right now due to writing on my phone, but /? Should give you the order of the arguments.

Just keep in mind that when you use import and other similar features in programs use the portable path.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Zuu wrote:When i use programs and files that uses absolute paths i make a bat or cmd file that maps the directory that the bat file lays in to some rarely used drive letter. Like z or q.
Z would work exceptionally poorly here. I have X, Y, and Z drives. X and Y are out of the way because they're dedicated pagefile partitions. I think Z was originally supposed to be a drive I could format on every reboot without losing anything important, but that has long since been lost. If I ever decided to move Z elsewhere, I'd move X and Y to Y and Z.

If you can subst . elsewhere, is there a reason you can't just use . instead of the new drive name?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

DaleStan wrote:
Zuu wrote:When i use programs and files that uses absolute paths i make a bat or cmd file that maps the directory that the bat file lays in to some rarely used drive letter. Like z or q.
Z would work exceptionally poorly here. I have X, Y, and Z drives. X and Y are out of the way because they're dedicated pagefile partitions. I think Z was originally supposed to be a drive I could format on every reboot without losing anything important, but that has long since been lost. If I ever decided to move Z elsewhere, I'd move X and Y to Y and Z.
Of course if you use Z on your system for something then pick another letter. Really depends on what systems you use, which drive letters that are commonly used.
DaleStan wrote:If you can subst . elsewhere, is there a reason you can't just use . instead of the new drive name?
Tell that to ArcMap. - Yes well hidden you can change paths in most of the files to relative. But still there where some things that required consistent paths. And there is other programs where you have files that relate to other files using absolute paths.
fanioz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by fanioz »

Zuu wrote:When i use programs and files that uses absolute paths i make a bat or cmd file ......
Thanks for a nice trick :D Now it's work (with drive Z: too)

**[OpenTTD AI]** Image
***[NewGRF] *** Image
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

A little update:
  • Last NoAI has been removed as a release target. (It was merged with trunk several months ago)
  • Last Head-to-head has been added added as a release target.
But there is nothing new to download or so, just a change on the server-side.

If you still use the Last NoAI target you will have to go to Installations->Edit and change the release target to "Last nightly", as that is what Last NoAI have done for the last months.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Time for a update to OpenTTD Auto Update. The new version is named 2.0 Beta 2.

Changes:
  • Added option to exit the Updater program when OpenTTD is started. This option is found under "Updating of OpenTTD" options.
  • The list of release targets has been extended from maximum 8 lines to maximum 20 lines, before a scroll bar appears.
  • For versioning formats that the client program don't understand (such as the hg versions like "Development h3b244a8f"), print the raw version string in the "more info" box where currently installed version is shown. Old versions of OpenTTD Auto Update didn't display anything there in such cases.
  • Show a "please wait, downloading your updates ..." message when downloading OpenTTD Zip, GRFPack Zip files or self updates. (but not when downloading changelog files for display) This message can be turned of in Options.

It is still not multi-threaded with a spinner/progress bar, but at least more verbose about that it is downloading file, as that might take a while on slow connections.
  • Do no longer check if an URL is okay by sending an HTTP head to the web server, if the file already exist in the local Auto Update Cache.

If you already have the program installed, run it and you will be asked if you want to update. (unless you have turned off checking for self updates in options)
Attachments
OpenTTDAutoUpdate2_beta2.zip
(492.68 KiB) Downloaded 676 times
Razaekel
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD Auto Update - 1.1 and 2.0 beta 2

Post by Razaekel »

Would it be possible to add to the edit box for each installation a section where we could add command line parameters, if, for example, we want to set up an installation to join a specific server each time, instead of going through the lobby?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: OpenTTD Auto Update - 1.1 and 2.0 beta 2

Post by Zuu »

I'll take that comment with me next time I work on the program. However, unless it recently has been added I hope you are aware that to join a server from the command line you need to specif which company to join. But yea with the switch company patch that was added to trunk, joining company 255 works quite okay. But up until that patch was added it was quite pointless for other things than #openttdcoop where you always would like to join company #1.

However there is some command line support, but that is not accessible for users. (per destination target I can set parameters for joining a specific server/company combo. So for dihedral auto nightly it could be added so OpenTTD joins company 255 when you start it.

Return to “General OpenTTD”