Windows/Linux Dual Booters

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

What OS do you play OpenTTD in the most ?

Windows
54%
Linux
34%
Both
12%

Total votes: 116

Tom0004
Chairman
Chairman

Windows/Linux Dual Booters

Post by Tom0004 »

Just a quick question, to find out peoples opinions.

What OS do you play OpenTTD in the most.....

Please stay on topic, the question when asked in IRC quickly changed subject.

Thanks

0004tom

Edit... Don't make this a Windows VS Linux topic please Ladies and Gents 8)
Draakon
Director
Director

Re: Windows/Linux Dual Booters

Post by Draakon »

Missing one, Mac

I vote for the windows because it is the longest out here and the strongest of all.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Draakon wrote:I vote for the windows because it is the longest out here and the strongest of all.
I don't agree with that statement.

Windows is known since 1985, GNU (the applications that run 'on' a Linux kernel) since 1983.
If we compare the kernels, then the Windows kernel appeared in 1993 and the Linux kernel in 1991.
Before 1993 (until Windows 95 came out in 1995) was just a graphical layer placed on top of DOS. The windowing layer used in Linux originates from 1984.
Draakon
Director
Director

Post by Draakon »

Rubidium wrote:
Draakon wrote:I vote for the windows because it is the longest out here and the strongest of all.
I don't agree with that statement.

Windows is known since 1985, GNU (the applications that run 'on' a Linux kernel) since 1983.
If we compare the kernels, then the Windows kernel appeared in 1993 and the Linux kernel in 1991.
Before 1993 (until Windows 95 came out in 1995) was just a graphical layer placed on top of DOS. The windowing layer used in Linux originates from 1984.
Ok, might not be the oldest but still has larger selection of programs and even security is better.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Almost could not resist to reply on the previous remark, but ...
0004tom wrote: Edit... Don't make this a Windows VS Linux topic please Ladies and Gents 8)
So back to the subject:
I play on Gentoo Linux and Windows XP Pro, I have a slight preference for playing on Linux, in my subjective perception it runs just a little smoother, but I never really did any real measuments wrt speed etc.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

I use both Linux (Debian Stable) and Windows (XP) when I'm playing or in other purpose using/working with OpenTTD. Lately it have been much Windows partly because of my development of the OpenTTD Auto Updater. But the nice thing about Linux is the access to good development environment and compiling of custom builds. For example I have a special client patch that adds scroll-wheel emulation by draging the mouse and holding middle button. (I've got a Wacom Itous2, which lacks the scroll found in Itous3)
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

I mostly play on XP. Not that I favor XP but I favor applications for MS Windows not available in Linux.
{
I cannot resist :mrgreen: : Back in 1994 I thought: "Why don't MS Windows have transparent menus." Now I can understand why. It needs 2 GB of memory and plenty more space on HDD to have Vista. Absolute Crap...
)
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
leno4
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by leno4 »

I currently have a duel boot of XP and Vista Ultimate, but i used to have Xp and linux and played more under windows. Just the better OS
Draakon
Director
Director

Post by Draakon »

GeekToo wrote:Almost could not resist to reply on the previous remark, but ...
0004tom wrote: Edit... Don't make this a Windows VS Linux topic please Ladies and Gents 8)
I dint make it, just posting why i use it.
Youri219
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Youri219 »

Not really dual boot here, but 2 computers. One gaming machine with Windows XP, one 'surfing' machine with Ubuntu 7.10. I often play MMOs on my gaming machine. Since it often happens that you're waiting for others in an MMO, I kill my time with playing OTTD on my Linux machine.
_Robbie_
Engineer
Engineer

Post by _Robbie_ »

I have dual boot on my notebook, but quite strangelly, I almost never choose the option named "Windows Vista" in Grub. The only games I play nowadays are OpenTTD and Football Manager - both of them run well on Linux (FM through Wine). Linux is also faster when it comes to booting time and response after booting, more beautiful (customizable), have some great applications (Amarok!) and is - last but not least - stable.
Robbie
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I play OpenTTD on Windows, and occasionally OS X. I run dedicated servers on Linux. I test OS/2 builds on, oddly enough, OS/2.
phil88
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by phil88 »

I used to dual boot xp and various distros from slackware to ubuntu. I've recently reformatted my linux partitions though and just use windows because I live by "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - windows does everything I want it to do. What's the point in switching to linux and having to hunt around for alternative software that doesn't work quite as well as it's window's counterpart. Also, getting software that doesn't have a linux version (photoshop, most games) is particularly annoying because having to use WINE and cedega, as great as they are, aren't up to a good enough level yet. Whilst cedega can play CS:S, it can't play it maxed out like I can in windows. I'm not blaming cedega or linux, it's the fault of the developers of games. But regardless of who's fault it is, it's my problem.

But anyways, that random rambling isn't particularly on topic, so here it goes. Even with a game like OTTD it was easier to get running in windows that it was in linux. Simply because I needed to install timidity in linux to get the in game music to work. Whilst that's easily fixed, it's still 1 more thing to install than in windows.
- Phil
Expresso
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Expresso »

I run openttd on Gentoo Linux at home and windows at a friend's place. I hate windows thoroughly (it ate several CDs and managed to get malware from just about everywhere, which then causes instability and various other annoyances).
Draakon wrote:Ok, might not be the oldest but still has larger selection of programs and even security is better.
Sorry, using wine and/or cedega you get a lot of applications and games working under linux. Oh... you're talking GAMES. Yes, in that windows beats any other OS hands down. But that's exactly what windows does best.

As for security, I have never had any malware troubles on Linux... can't say that about windows.
Draakon
Director
Director

Post by Draakon »

Expresso wrote:Sorry, using wine and/or cedega you get a lot of applications and games working under linux. Oh... you're talking GAMES. Yes, in that windows beats any other OS hands down. But that's exactly what windows does best.

As for security, I have never had any malware troubles on Linux... can't say that about windows.
Is directx 10 avabile for linux? No
Can you max out setting in linux? No
Can you even run as safe as in windows? No because getting crashes is more higher
Also there aren't so good programs in linux.
Linux may not have viruses but is easy to hack. Windows is better when you get the best programs for these 2 threats.
Most things in linux must be done in console.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Let me remind you or this:
0004tom wrote:Don't make this a Windows VS Linux topic please Ladies and Gents 8)

Anyways, I haven't voted, because I don't dual boot. Just using the plain old windows, as that came with my computer.
Draakon
Director
Director

Post by Draakon »

FooBar wrote:Let me remind you or this:
0004tom wrote:Don't make this a Windows VS Linux topic please Ladies and Gents 8)

Anyways, I haven't voted, because I don't dual boot. Just using the plain old windows, as that came with my computer.
If it would have been this vs that then i would have said this is way better then that. I just again pointed out why i use windows.
_Robbie_
Engineer
Engineer

Post by _Robbie_ »

Draakon wrote: Is directx 10 avabile for linux? No
Fair enough. But it's almost only for games. And games are Linux' Achilles' Heel
What do you mean?
Can you even run as safe as in windows? No because getting crashes is more higher
Again - what do you mean? That Windows is safer and more stable than Linux? Because neither is true :).
Also there aren't so good programs in linux.
Well...what do you miss (besides games)?
Linux may not have viruses but is easy to hack. Windows is better when you get the best programs for these 2 threats.
...and that's why so many servers run on Linux? ;)
The chain isn't stronger then the weakest link. The weakest link is very often a human...
Most things in linux must be done in console.
You live in the past Draakon :). Nowadays there's GUI for almost every program. On the other side - console isn't that scary once you try it. Linux isn't really that difficult to learn. It's just different than Windows, that's all.
Robbie
Draakon
Director
Director

Post by Draakon »

What do you mean?
Graphical and detail settings in the game
Again - what do you mean? That Windows is safer and more stable than Linux? Because neither is true :).
Only way to run windows game is to use emulator right? Which means more crashes.
Well...what do you miss (besides games)?
Photoshop for example
...and that's why so many servers run on Linux? ;)
Because most people think its easier but it ain't. I have tested it.
Nowadays there's GUI for almost every program.
Then how can i patch my OpenTTD without a console command?
On the other side - console isn't that scary once you try it.
It is
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Draakon wrote:Is directx 10 avabile for linux? No
Your point being? I use Windows as my primary machine and *I* don't have DirectX 10. And whatever this "max out" thingy is, I've never even heard of it, so I don't see why its absence is a problem.
Draakon wrote:Can you even run as safe as in windows? No because getting crashes is more higher
Indeed. You unplug the Windows box, and at that point you achieve both objects simultaneously: (1) No crashes, and (2) perfect security. Except for the minor detail that you can't actually do anything, you now have a computer that is both perfectly stable and perfectly secure.
Draakon wrote:Also there aren't so good programs in linux.
Of course Linux has fewer choices. That's because all the good Linux programs get ported to Windows (Firefox, OpenOffice, gcc, perl, python, bash, X-Chat, &c.) while none of the lousy Windows programs (Office, IE) run on Linux.
Draakon wrote:Linux may not have viruses but is easy to hack.
Again. Your point? Of course it's easier to hack on Linux. You have the source code for Linux. Windows doesn't allow this, so you have to just accept that you will get cracked.
Draakon wrote:Most things in linux must be done in console.
And the same "most things" can't be done at all in Windows. At least not unless you shell out $BIGNUM for a point-and-drool program to do it for you.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “General OpenTTD”