OpenTTD 0.6.0-beta1

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Re: OpenTTD 0.6.0-beta1

Post by Digitalfox »

NukeBuster wrote:
richk67 wrote:
maartena wrote:I get the feeling the request for a generic tramset is being ignored by the devs ;)
The solution, maartena, is simple. *You* create a tramset, and offer it to the devs for inclusion in future OpenTTD distributions. Im sure one would be gratefully accepted.

Otherwise, devs are busy sorting other things out, and certainly dont have the time to create a tramset themselves. Its up to the .grf creators to respond to any request for a set.
DaleStan wrote:That's why we have newgrf. So that the devs don't have to make a tramset.

Zephyris created a generic tram set a while ago just for this purpose. See this link:
Generic tramset
Yes, why not include it?? I'm sure if asked to Zephyris he will like the idea, and give permission :)
JJogurt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JJogurt »

First I would like to say thank you to developers and everybody else associated with this game for releasing this new beta.
Qu@rks wrote:I think another feature would also be very nice:
Diagonal rail over roads. I've see this in one of the nightlies (can't remember which one it was) and since we already go bridges over diagonal rails, this would be the next logical step.
Agree.
It's very annoying when you are trying to make a road link diagonal stretch or rail and you can't use a level crossing.
Now we can at least build a bridge across thanks to diagonal rail under bridge.

As for all the tram set supporters:
I think OTTD should stay as similar to the original game (TTD) as possible. OTTD should be just a mondernized and improved verison of the original. If any radical new content is included in the game then the name should change to something other than OpenTTD. You can always use .grfs if you want to change something.

One question for developers:
I noticed that planes no longer have their air spped nerfed.
Is this going go stay or will planes have their nerfed speeds again when the beta ends?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Grolsch wrote:Pressing "d" won't give me the destroy-arrow when I have the rail-toolbar (or the road toolbar for that matter) opened. I'm using the Windows x64 and the Windows 32 version, both have the same problem. When I press "6" it will open the demolish-arrow, because it is the sixth button. However, I want to use "d" because it's next to "a"utorail and "s"ignals ;)

Anyone else got this problem?
If you want to get the demolish tool (dynamite), you have to have the landscape-bar open (press L) before you can use "d". There is a patch option that opens landscape bar automatically when you open rail/road/air/ship toolbar.

If you want the remove track tool, just press the r-key. On the QWERTY layout I think the R-key is close to both a and d key if you have your left hand on A-S-D-F.

And about '6' being to long away, my R is where your O is, and my D is on your H, so stop complaining :p (reason: learning dvorak was so boring so I learned dvorak instead 8) )
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Grolsch
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Grolsch »

Zuu wrote:
Grolsch wrote:Pressing "d" won't give me the destroy-arrow when I have the rail-toolbar (or the road toolbar for that matter) opened. I'm using the Windows x64 and the Windows 32 version, both have the same problem. When I press "6" it will open the demolish-arrow, because it is the sixth button. However, I want to use "d" because it's next to "a"utorail and "s"ignals ;)

Anyone else got this problem?
If you want to get the demolish tool (dynamite), you have to have the landscape-bar open (press L) before you can use "d". There is a patch option that opens landscape bar automatically when you open rail/road/air/ship toolbar.

If you want the remove track tool, just press the r-key. On the QWERTY layout I think the R-key is close to both a and d key if you have your left hand on A-S-D-F.

And about '6' being to long away, my R is where your O is, and my D is on your H, so stop complaining :p (reason: learning dvorak was so boring so I learned dvorak instead 8) )
You are correct! The landscape-toolbar was disabled. No I have turned it on, and my "d"-key has a function again :) Thanks!

Ontopic: 0.6.0 beta is great! Thanks devs...
Beer equals power
jwa1992
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jwa1992 »

FooBar wrote:I fail to see what that has to do with 0.6.0 beta, but you need a vehicle replacement set supporting those cargo type.
Wich set do I need?
- A good commander delivers his team not to victory, but to home.
- English is not my native language, you see!
- OpenTTD addicted
- http://www.localspeedterrorisation.nl
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

NukeBuster wrote: Zephyris created a generic tram set a while ago just for this purpose. See this link:
Generic tramset
Yes, if devs asked him for permission to include generic tram set (and if he will agree), then devs will just put the file into trunk, put Zephyr's name in few files like "credits" and "authors" and it's finished ... no need to code a tramset :)
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Horodej
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Horodej »

Hi, i have one question - why you can't remove resolution permission from 2048x1200 ??? I have 30" lcd and i want to play in full resolution (2560x1600). I think that some peoples have too 24"+ lcd and can't use it in full resolution ...
Last edited by Horodej on 23 Nov 2007 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
Qu@rks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Qu@rks »

Rubidium wrote:
Qu@rks wrote:Diagonal rail over roads. I've see this in one of the nightlies (can't remember which one it was) and since we already got bridges over diagonal rails, this would be the next logical step.
That was is the MiniIN, which was never (and will never be) a nightly.

Please forgive me :)

But you do know what I meant so how about it? I was just wondering if it's possible.
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

i agree that it was a very nice feature, but just for one second imaging there actually being a reason for stuff not making it's way into trunk... may it be the coding style, or whatever...
Maedhros
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Maedhros »

I'd like to hope that my coding style isn't that bad. :P

Anyway, it's never been committed because it was never finished to my satisfaction, and then it stopped being interesting to code and fell by the wayside...
No-one's more important than the earthworm.
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

First off, thanks again to all the devs. You folks work hard enough for all of us- please don't spend a second working on anything that can be accomplished with a GRF. (Unless you're working on a GRF, of course.)

Just thought I'd put in my two cents worth on reliability.

One of my very few pet peeves with TTD/OTTD is that a brand-new locomotive at the end of its production run is far less reliable than a mid-production unit.
IMHO reliability should decrease (from the maximum effect when the vehicle was purchased) as the vehicle ages. When reliability gets to be a problem, replace the vehicle. The more life remaining, the cheaper the net cost of replacement, representing a major rebuild.

Some vehicles will historically have low max reliability, but this may be offset by unique performance, such as early high horsepower diesels, etc.
For those folks who want to keep steam locomotives around into the 2000s, they can turn "vehicles never expire" on. When a steamer wears out, you can then purchase a new one at it's inflation-adjusted price. :twisted: This is accurate, because restoring a steam locomotive can be as expensive as building a new one.

Here's an idea- would it be possible to hide the reliability rating of units while under the "one year test" provision? Then you won't know exactly what you are getting into. :twisted: Those early production units will keep their reliability problems until replaced (rebuilt).
Who is John Galt?
Qu@rks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Qu@rks »

I'd say it's a good idea, sounds like a lot of work for a little change though...
but like I said, the idea is good ;)
fabca2
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by fabca2 »

richk67 wrote:
maartena wrote:I get the feeling the request for a generic tramset is being ignored by the devs ;)
The solution, maartena, is simple. *You* create a tramset, and offer it to the devs for inclusion in future OpenTTD distributions. Im sure one would be gratefully accepted.

Otherwise, devs are busy sorting other things out, and certainly dont have the time to create a tramset themselves. Its up to the .grf creators to respond to any request for a set.
That what Zephyr did, *He* create a generic tramset and offered it to the dev :roll:

there should be a reason for non-inclusion, but devs answer every other question but avoid this one...
please tell us...
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

dev's dont ow you sh**
it is their choice to explain, code and help - they are _not_ obliged to!
dont take things for granted just because they are free or open source
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Before stuff get's needlessly nasty:

Maybe it's a surprise for the final 0.6.0 release! :mrgreen:
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

dihedral wrote:dev's dont ow you sh**
Take it easy mate :wink: No need to get angry, fabca2 didn't talk bad in my opinion against any dev :wink:
rbenevid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rbenevid »

I always play the nightlies and I'm addicted to lots of the new features of 0.6.0, like:

- CTRL-drag to automatically put signs
- Autoroad (too bad it doesn't have a shortcut)
- loading indicators (can't live without them)
- group interface
- transparency toolbar

And that's not all. I think people will be **really** pleased with this release. Thanks, devs! You rock!
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Here's a report:

Installer works just fine on Windows Vista.

6.0 works fine so far. Running the UKRS with the expansion, PikkaBird's new industries and the UKRS brick chain, PikkaBird's GRFs for short/slow/expensive bridges and revised construction costs. (I was getting a little too heavy handed with the landscape tools and bridges.) And the ubiqutous brick viaduct (don't run that in my US games.)

So far I haven't found anything in 6.0 that isn't in the nightly I'm running (11353-I don't download them nightly.)

BTW about the only program with which I have NO WinVista issues other than some slightly garbled sound is OTTD.
Who is John Galt?
IZooRz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by IZooRz »

Hi,

unfortunately I have got problems. I cannot start the game. It says "Invalid version of language packs".

As no one of you has this problem I maybe did sth. wrong. Does someone know how to fix the problem?

Thanks from Germany

Ingo
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

Digitalfox wrote:
dihedral wrote:dev's dont ow you sh**
Take it easy mate :wink: No need to get angry, fabca2 didn't talk bad in my opinion against any dev :wink:
most of the posts here just sound like people are not happy with what is being done, the time 'the devs' invest and even dedicate - even though some have failies to take care of, others are very busy at work (on dev in paticular has both :-P)
fabca2 wrote:but devs answer every other question but avoid this one...
please tell us...
i just beleive there might be a reason to why some are answered and others are not - and even though i am also curious to know stuff - i just might not need to know. perhaps some devs just have not had the time to post an answer to it, perhaps it is just their choice not to include it, perhaps there is a 'deeper' something behind it - whatever it is - pushing them to answer every single user question might just not be as helpful as accepting their decision and behing happy about what is there.
just seems like a bunch of people look at the code, the game, their own fun and not the person behind the word 'dev'!

but i appologize for the word i chose - not very appropriate, and it did emphasize more 'annoyance' from my side than i wanted to.
all i wanted to do was to make a point :-)

Return to “General OpenTTD”