MyOTTD

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Re: MyOTTD

Post by CMircea »

Once I my new computer arrives (in 2 weeks) I could volunteer to host the servers, but I'm not too fond of keeping the computer up so much as the case isn't very well ventilated and I don't want to terminate the warranty to pack the wires nicely with a sleeving kit. Though I have an idea:

How about a service for testing the trunk? This could prove invaluable to developers, as you could require to update and compile the latest revision and then test it as you wish. As I'll have a Core Quad, I doubt it'll do much of a performance impact. The problem would be how to do it, as for GNU/Linux it is pretty straightforward, but I'm and I think I'll be using Windows.
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

Desolator wrote:Once I my new computer arrives (in 2 weeks) I could volunteer to host the servers, but I'm not too fond of keeping the computer up so much as the case isn't very well ventilated and I don't want to terminate the warranty to pack the wires nicely with a sleeving kit.
Hosting the servers in a distributed fashion is something that's been part of the design from the start, so it's not impossible. However, it has some kind of service level requirements... the servers would need to be on 24/7, be relatively stable, have a static IP and adequate network connectivity.

I'll be getting access to a co-owned/shared eight-core xeon server in the near future, remains to be seen how many OpenTTD servers I can stuff on that :)
Desolator wrote:Though I have an idea: How about a service for testing the trunk? This could prove invaluable to developers, as you could require to update and compile the latest revision and then test it as you wish. As I'll have a Core Quad, I doubt it'll do much of a performance impact. The problem would be how to do it, as for GNU/Linux it is pretty straightforward, but I'm and I think I'll be using Windows.
I'm not quite sure what you mean with testing the trunk. Devs can run their own servers locally for testing, and I'm not sure the public testing servers need to be more frequently updated than what the nightlies are now.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

{
Desolator wrote:...as the case isn't very well ventilated and I don't want to terminate the warranty to pack the wires nicely with a sleeving kit.
:roll: And you bought from them? I would throw the PC on their heads.
At least 2 times I found out that parts were not assembled correctly...

RULE: Never buy a preassembled PC. Buy the parts separately and assemble them yourself.

regards
athanasios
}
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
bob27
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bob27 »

Thanks SpComb for reconsidering the project. I really appreciate it and I'm sure others do to! :)
Connum
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Connum »

I don't own a root server to offer, but I'd be glad to help with the back-end, as far as it's coded with PHP.
English is not my native language, so please excuse me if I sometimes might appear a bit harsh or if I make a spelling or grammar mistake!
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

Connum wrote:I don't own a root server to offer, but I'd be glad to help with the back-end, as far as it's coded with PHP.
(Un)forunately, the backend is written entirely in Python and C, so there's not really anything that can be done with PHP.
jwa1992
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jwa1992 »

I can't create a server. It says: 'internal server error' :( :( :(
- A good commander delivers his team not to victory, but to home.
- English is not my native language, you see!
- OpenTTD addicted
- http://www.localspeedterrorisation.nl
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

jwa1992 wrote:I can't create a server. It says: 'internal server error' :( :( :(
All the allocated ports were in use... I've added some more for now.
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

[quote="SpComb"Hosting the servers in a distributed fashion is something that's been part of the design from the start, so it's not impossible. However, it has some kind of service level requirements... the servers would need to be on 24/7, be relatively stable, have a static IP and adequate network connectivity.[/quote]

Those in bold are quite the problems, as it ain't a server. And I have dynamic IP, but isn't it possible to use dyndns to "correct" that?
Connum
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Connum »

dyndns shouldn't be a problem, my server had a dyndns before it blew! ;-)
but it should run 24/7 or it wouldn't make sense...
English is not my native language, so please excuse me if I sometimes might appear a bit harsh or if I make a spelling or grammar mistake!
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Desolator wrote:How about a service for testing the trunk?
The idea is quite interesting, but how do you test a game?
Checking whether the source compiles is not much use, devs do that already.

Imho testing would mean running the executable, checking that the game behaves well.

Albert
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

Alberth wrote:

Imho testing would mean running the executable, checking that the game behaves well.

Albert
Yes, so you start a server and then join a company will all you would need to see how the game works.
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

Desolator wrote:[...]I have dynamic IP, but isn't it possible to use dyndns to "correct" that?
Well, yes, it would be possible to run it on a not-officially-static IP (myottd.net is on what appears to be a long-term DHCP lease right now), but that assumes that the IP address only changes very rarely (it's been the same for six months here), not e.g. every day at midnight, as is common with DSL connections.

Desolator wrote:
Alberth wrote:

Albert
Yes, so you start a server and then join a company will all you would need to see how the game works.
I still don't really understand what void this would fill. As I said earlier, devs can run their own servers locally for testing multiplayer changes, and versions of the trunk are released every day for general play-testing-use to everyone (the nightlies).
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

It's been roughly a year now since I first put MyOTTD online, and I guess the time has finally come to start putting it to rest.

I need to reboot the server that MyOTTD is running on, as I need to relocate the UPS that it's powered by. At the same time, I'm going to start killing off the MyOTTD servers.

Effective immediately, all servers have been marked as disabled, which means that they will no longer automatically start up again if the service is restarted. I've added a little button to Enable your server again (next to Stop/Restart) if you want it to stay running.

At some point in the fairly near future (i.e. sometime next week), I'll then restart MyOTTD. Users' servers will not come back online automatically, unless they've been explicitly enabled before that.

I predict that the vast majority of the servers will stay offline, as the current myottd.net is, to put it bluntly, buggy, outdated and slow.

I've had some ideas and done a bit of work in relation to a new version of MyOTTD that I found very interesting and promising, but unfortunately, I've had to conclude that I really don't have the time that would be required to develop and maintain the entire service on my own, now and in the future.

Unless things change, I'll probably shut down MyOTTD for good sometime sooner than later, depending on what kind of reaction I get.

EDIT 2008/11/09: I shut down the server on Wednesday/Thursday night (2008/11/04), and due to the lack of response it will presumeably remain offline until further notice. I've redirected the domain to this forums post.
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

Holy thread necro! Welcome back to 2007/2008, roughly ten years ago...

So as a matter of historical curiosity I dug up the old myottd.net source code repos from 2007-2009: both the original mess that was actually running at myottd.net, and the fancy new re-architecting that I gave up on because it was just too much work for one person.
Interesting seeing how times have changed now. With technologies like Docker now being mature and widely available, that kind of cloud SaaS service would be a whole lot easier to implement today than back in 2008, because I was basically trying to implement Docker: using (fuse) unionfs mounts to combine read/write user data with versioned OpenTTD and shared base GRF layers, some iptables NAT to expose the servers on the network, and writing some service daemon manager to control the openttd process running within that vserver via an unix socket while handling console streaming etc...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Wow, now there’s a name I haven’t seen for time!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

SpComb! Nice to see you again. :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”