OpenTTD 0.5.0 RC1

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

I was under the impression that many patches weren't included because they needed cleaning up, not OpenTTD itself. If a patch is badly commented, or not written to the published code guidelines, the devs won't even review it, let alone commit it.

0.5.0 is a huge step up from 0.4.8, and to claim otherwise is simply wrong. The MiniIN has a much lower quality threshold (in terms of commenting, code layout, etc) for acceptance, so it has many more features. I can't imagine it's easy to debug, though.

0.5.0 is a good release, at a good stage in the development cycle. Of course there's more to be seen in future (electric rails need balancing, there's a new signalling schema on the horizon, etc) but we're nowhere near 1.0 yet.

Anybody who thinks they could do as good a job leading the project as the current dev team is free to fork their own project, as has been stated many times. Call it FreeTTD if you want.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

MiniIN in some ways was easy to debug - it was the ultimate in BSE... blame someone else. 90% of bugs were "something changed in trunk to break a patch", 9% were "bug in trunk", and perhaps 1% was us failing to correctly integrate the patches. As long as the original patch author was actively following trunk, and could create a patch, then MiniIN could be integrated back.

It wasnt really bug-hunting, as it wasnt really anything more than an integration. Anyone who thinks otherwise, has dreamt bigger than the reality ;)
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

gamezguy wrote:
SirkoZ wrote:
Bjarni wrote:I'm not going to descend to SirkoZ's level with namecalling and stuff. I don't think people would be interested in this game if all sorts of patches just got added and nobody cleaned up the code. The result would be really messy code, so nobody would be able to write new big features and it would be almost impossible to go bug hunting. As a result, no new great features would be coded and the game would crash or desync at random.

I think this issue is like the Y2K bug. It was fixed almost everywhere and then people said that it was a waste of time and money to do so because nothing happened. If nothing was done, then people would be upset that a whole lot of stuff broke.
Fine - stay on your high pedestal. However you are messing up what could be a great game which ordinary players (98%) don't have any idea of (sadly).
Ok, I'm gonna keep this post calm because I respect Darkvater and the work he and his crew have done to OTTD. Sirkoz, that post was not necessary. This is a game you can play for free and the devs are doing what they thing is right. Which is ok, because they're making it better and anyway, it is their free project which we can all enjoy. I hope you think about this a little Sirkoz.

Thanks for the game, devs,
Gamezguy.
You have put it very nicely, Gamezguy, and I really appreciate it.

I have blown quite a large fuse and to all the developers and players who had to read all of that:
I am truly sorry.

You all do great work with OpenTTD and you got to understand - I'm an old-school TTO/TTD/TTDPatch/now OpenTTD player so I'm very sensitive to all that's going on with it - even if I'm not on the Forum all the time.

To all of you: Happy new year and let's all make OpenTTD better.

Now - to show my sincerity - I'd like for starters fix/finish up the Slovenian translation of OpenTTD - any tips on where to start (*goes to Wiki...)?
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

SirkoZ wrote:I have blown quite a large fuse and to all the developers and players who had to read all of that:
I am truly sorry.
Thanks for that.

Now, lets all move on and continue this community the way it should be ;)
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."

Return to “General OpenTTD”