How To: Generate Superb Heightmaps :)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How To: Generate Superb Heightmaps :)

Post by Wasila »

Excellent tutorial, but I am creating a height map of the UK and even though I add srtm_37_02_thin to the merge page it doesn't end up in the finished product. You did mention this (East Anglia) but I'm not sure what you mean about the two figures at default.
Crazy Photon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Crazy Photon »

Followed the tutorial, created map for my region and uploaded it on BaNaNaS :) (Uruguay map). I expect to make a few revisions some time in the future, since some of the rivers were not brought by the satellite images.
Resistance is NEVER futile...
Vano13
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vano13 »

Hi to everyone!
I need some help. I have an idea to make a complete Russia scenario, but i run into a problem - there is no data for north part of Russia in STRM. Is there any other sources of height data or completed heightmaps i could use? Any help appreciated!:)

UPD: sorry, i can't understand how could i miss this link on page 10 of this thread: http://edc.usgs.gov/products/elevation/ ... opo30.html
I will try this.

UPD2: no success. This data is incompatible with MicroDEM:(
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Well after several failings using MicroDEM, I have decided to ask on here. Would anyone be willing to help me create a heightmap of a certain part of the Valais canton in Switzerland? I would be ever so grateful...
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
mikeel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mikeel »

i can help you but after the january 1st.
Can you give me the coordinates of the zone?
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

What's the best way to read that off Google Earth ?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i don't know google earth, but on google maps you can right click and chose "what is here?" to find out the exact coordinates.
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

you should see it at the bottom of your google earth, there is a small bar, which keeps updating as you mouse over the area, reading long/lat and elevation.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
mikeel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mikeel »

using the last version of GE, the coordinates of your mouse position are visualized in the middle of the bottom bar (see the image).
you must tell me the NW and SE coordinates of the area you want.
merry christmas
mikima

EDIT The Irish has been fastest than me. sorry for this-quite-double post.
Attachments
google earth coordinates.png
google earth coordinates.png (186 KiB) Viewed 9198 times
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Sorry for the delay. The NW co-ordinate is:

46(o)22'23.70"N
7(o)32'15.98" E

and the SE co-ordinate is:

45(o)53'49.38"N
7(o)32'15.98E

Many thanks.
realbout
Engineer
Engineer

Post by realbout »

Hi all,

i'm new here, i love ottd and play it for years. now i have registered because of these heightmaps. It rocks at all :bow:

i cant run google earth and it would be great if someone can make a heightmap of Vorarlberg / Austria (Vorarlberg is a county/region of Austria) near the "Bodensee". Its on the westside of Austria (austria isnt that big, everyone can find it ;) ) on the Border of Switzerland and Germany.

It would be great if someone can to this for me - i create a scenario then and load it up here (with all regional details, like companys and so on), promised :]

PS: here is a google maps screenshot of the region (where to find coordinates?)
Willvette
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Willvette »

World Machine also can produce Height-maps, but it is restricted to 513x513 pixels :D
http://www.world-machine.com/
turbo84gn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by turbo84gn »

I created a new topic with EASY directions for using DEM data to create a heightmap.

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 66&start=0
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

hm i dont get those green dots and SRTM values (installed the plugin correctly..)

i want to make a map of Luxembourg. as it's a very small country, detailled landscape would be nice.

coords are:
50 10'12.94"N
5 45'36.56" E

to

49 25'52.12" N
6 28'52.01"E

if someone has some minutes to spare, would be very nice, i appreciate your work :bow:
vanadio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vanadio »

I have a problem. The green buttons don't appear in my google earth, i dont know why...
vanadio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vanadio »

Can someone create for me Portugal map? Just the terrainm no trees, no cities...
vivastpauli
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vivastpauli »

I'm trying to merge two .asc files with Microdem after I thinned them, using the described path via Data Manipulation-> Merge-> Dems, but the only options that appear are "ADF grids" and "Geographic blocks", which doesn't help me very much. Anyone an idea how to proceed from here on?
jono99
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jono99 »

vanadio wrote:I have a problem. The green buttons don't appear in my google earth, i dont know why...
I'm having the same problem. And the plugin shows under the Places tab. SRTM4.1 but no green dots
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Expanding on [url=hhttp://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=632135#p632135]this post[/url], I am going to post the method I followed to get good heightmaps, avoiding two common problems: the "truncation" of big heights and low land showing as sea. Note that all commands in this method are run from the console.

1) Get Gdal tools. Many linux distributions have them in their repositories, and you can also get them from here http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/DownloadingGdalBinaries

2) Download the required data in TIF, ASC or any other format compatible with gdal. There are many places from where you can get elevation data data, but I have been using this: http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/SELECTION/inputCoord.asp

3) Merge all the required files in a single one. Ignore this step if all of the land you want to use is in the same file.

Code: Select all

gdalmerge.py input_file_1.tif input_file_2.tif ... -o merged_file.tif
4) Now we need to know the maximum height present on the elevation data.

gdalinfo -stats merged_file.tif
From all of its output, search for a line that looks like this:

Minimum=-32768.000, Maximum=3460.000, Mean=-13170.688, StdDev=16358.309
5) Finally we need to convert the data to a PNG file (which is the format that OpenTTD can understand), scaling the height so that the resulting heightmap does not have the problems mentioned before.

gdal_translate -scale -(Max * 1/15) Max 0 255 -projwin ul_longitude ul_latitude lr_longitude lr_latitude -of PNG -ot Byte merged.tif result.png
ul_* and lr_* stand for the coordinates of the upper left and lower right corners of the heightmap. If you want to use all of the data you can omit the -projwin param.

Max is the Maximum value that we obtained from gdalinfo. Using -(Max * 1/15) as the lower value for input data forces all land points up to a value were OpenTTD will correctly interpret them as land. This might not work if you use different elevation data, though. Note that you have to calculate the -(Max * 1/15) value and put it there; gdal_translate will not calculate it for you.
Samli
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Samli »

great:D

Return to “General OpenTTD”