Prio question

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Youri219
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Prio question

Post by Youri219 »

Maybe some of the more experienced network builders can help me.

I have a sideline entering a mainline, with prio on the mainline. Basically as explained in the first couple of screenshots here: http://wiki.openttdcoop.org/Priority

Now my problem is that my trains are fast, but take quite a while to accelerate to that speed. So if a train standing still on the sideline would want to enter the mainline without a train on the mainline having to slow down behind it, my prio would have to be very long. On the other hand, this will unnecessarily block trains coming from the sideline at full speed that would otherwise be able to enter the mainline without causing jams.

Is there any nice solution for this?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Prio question

Post by Alberth »

It depends on your notion of nice.
People build a cyclotron for this case.
thefluffycontroller
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thefluffycontroller »

If they take a long time to accelerate due to the length and weight of their loads you could try shortening loads to increase their acceleration to match the length of your prio's
Vitus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vitus »

You could try combining SML with classic prio join. It's used rarely, but it *should* work.

The SML part shifts at full speed and thus requires only small priority. If the train cannot shift, it'll continue to classic priority join (just note you need to penalize track leading to classic join, so the trains prefer SML). Trains at normal priority join can join starting at either full speed or zero speed, just adjust the prio length accordingly (this priority shouldn't go past SML, though).

You also need some buffer space between SML and classic join, because if the SML jams, you risk ML jams, too. You can either build huge buffer space or overflow depots.

Beware of the fact, that SML only works with yapf.rail_firstred_twoway_eol set to true.
Attachments
SML + classing join
SML + classing join
combined_join.png (17.81 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
Youri219
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Youri219 »

Vitus wrote:You could try combining SML with classic prio join. It's used rarely, but it *should* work.

Beware of the fact, that SML only works with yapf.rail_firstred_twoway_eol set to true.
The picture looks quite nice, but what exactly do you mean with yapf.rail_firstred_twoway_eol? I found it in my ini and it's already set to true.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Vitus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vitus »

With this setting, pathfinder treats red twoway block signals (in current signal block) as end-of-line. This setting is essential for many constructions (SML included).

In the case of SML, it makes sure that train shifts only when the entry signal is green. Otherwise the train takes next (cheapest) available route.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Vitus wrote:With this setting, pathfinder treats red twoway block signals (in current signal block) as end-of-line.
That is only true if the red two-way signal is the first signal after a split/join though. If a two way is red somewhere half way it will still be threated as any other red signal.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Vitus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vitus »

XeryusTC wrote:That is only true if the red two-way signal is the first signal after a split/join though. If a two way is red somewhere half way it will still be threated as any other red signal.
That's why I noted "in current signal block" :wink:

Return to “General OpenTTD”