Road-only games

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

L. Spooner Inc
Engineer
Engineer

Road-only games

Post by L. Spooner Inc »

Has anyone ever played an entire game with roads only? I just put my fist through a wall this morning struggling with trains, and I'm considering trying a game using just roads and road vehicles. Is it viable? I imagine I'll have to greatly increase the maximum number of vehicles, especially late game. Are there any special strategies I should use? Does a system of transferring in legs from station to station make more sense than vehicles driving the whole distance and back? I'm guessing the game is a whole lot easier on the whole when you no longer have to worry about railway lines and signals and junctions.
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Road-only games

Post by odisseus »

Apparently, some players like playing that way.

Also, BTPro.nl has a public server dedicated for road vehicles.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The entire purpose for me starting the 2CC Trams project was to get a comprehensive set of universal trams which could compete favorably with both road vehicles and trains.

We're still working on that 5 years later, but we're getting there. I've been playing only trams with the recent updates for 2CC Trams and 2CC Cargo Trams, and I've had fun.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Road games are fine as long as the map isn't too big. 512*512 is probably the largest map size comfortably operated with just road...I have a tendency to want to carry cargos across the whole map which doesn't always work.

You may get problems with traffic jams, especially in towns, and you can easily snarl up industries unless you have separate stations for cargo drops and pickups.

I'm sure I've had 4000+ Rvs running in one game.

Trains are easy once you get the right system (path signals are great) and you don't try to overload the system...but they can be hard work if you get it wrong. Start with point to point routes without trying to link them in a network with other routes...that's when it gets difficult.

Good Luck.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Certainly doable.

If you don't want to play yourself, you can get an AI to play only with road vehicles and really fill all of the map with road vehicles. :-D
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)

Return to “General OpenTTD”