IRC channel setup

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

glavinics
Engineer
Engineer

IRC channel setup

Post by glavinics »

Hi All,

I would like to join the IRC channel, but it seems I have difficulties.
I have a problem with my nickname registration.

How and where can I do it?

Thanks for support,
Gergely
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: IRC channel setup

Post by planetmaker »

IRC nickname issues are handled on IRC - by the people who run the network. Join #oftc on the OFTC network (that's the one OpenTTD has it's channel on as well). And bring some patience. It's not like people necessarily idle all day in a channel waiting for someone to drop by.
glavinics
Engineer
Engineer

Post by glavinics »

Hello planatmaker,

Thanks for the hint, now I'm registered and identified, but I still cannot write to channel
It says:
Error(404): #openttd.dev Cannot send to channel

#OpenTTD seems to work.

Any idea?

Thanks for support,
Gergely
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

some channels are like that, only specific people may post there, other people can join but only listen.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

glavinics wrote:Hello planatmaker,

Thanks for the hint, now I'm registered and identified, but I still cannot write to channel
It says:
Error(404): #openttd.dev Cannot send to channel

#OpenTTD seems to work.

Any idea?

Thanks for support,
Gergely
#openttd is unrestricted who may talk there. And it is usually the place to talk about anything OpenTTD related, including and especially concerning development
#openttd.dev has additionally set the channel mode 'moderated' which means that only people who got voice can talk there. If you need to talk there, ask in #openttd for voice. That channel is only active when the main channel fails to be useful due to too much chit-chat or spam - so one usually doesn't need to worry about it :) (Is it linked anywhere as *the* channel to go to?)

(and I saw your IRC message only now... quite a bit delay :D)
glavinics
Engineer
Engineer

Post by glavinics »

Ok thanks :D
It is clear and it seems my settings are ok now
I just never used IRC before.

Nevertheless I just cloned the repo from git and started working/playing a bit on mac os.
I could compile which is a good start, let see what brings the future... I just discovered the game after some years again (I'm impressed about the evolution).
Maybe now I can also add some value not just enjoy the benefit of community effort since it is open source.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

glavinics wrote:Ok thanks :D
It is clear and it seems my settings are ok now
I just never used IRC before.

Nevertheless I just cloned the repo from git and started working/playing a bit on mac os.
I could compile which is a good start, let see what brings the future... I just discovered the game after some years again (I'm impressed about the evolution).
Maybe now I can also add some value not just enjoy the benefit of community effort since it is open source.
Great :) Especially the OSX port is more or less not maintained as none of the active developers really owns such device - which maintaining it pretty tricky. Looking forward to your contributions :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”