Chain signals?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Velox
Engineer
Engineer

Chain signals?

Post by Velox »

Hi,

I'm a long time Factorio player just starting to get into OTTD. I'm intentionally doing things 'the hard way' to try and work out the mechanics - i'm sure there will be a better way to achieve the below but i'm specifically trying to get my head round chaining signals (or pre-signals as they're called here?).

I fully understand train blocks and signals but i'm struggling to work out how to properly chain signals in OpenTTD as I can in Factorio (maybe it's not possible?). I've watched some videos and read up, searched the forums but not finding an answer.

Screenshot below. Basically how would I get the highlighted train to stay put until it's path is clear? The block at the bottom with the red parallel lines is blocked but in this example, the highlighted train will happily leave the station and travel right up to the signal before the red lines and wait there. I want to try and have it waiting in the station until it can travel all the way into the block at the bottom with the red lines. At the same time I want the train above it to be able to travel all the way into the blue highlighted block if that block is clear.

In Factorio, i'd just dump down loads of chain signals which basically say "don't leave the station block until every block to your destination is clear BUT if you're going to a block that is clear, then you can proceed". In that game, chain signals turn green when all possible blocks are clear and blue when any possible destination is clear meaning the path is potentially clear depending on where the train is headed.

Can this be done in OTTD?

P.S. How the hell do you destroy a bridge? I had to go back to an earlier save to get rid of one I'd placed!!!

Thanks
Attachments
OpenTTD.png
(1.01 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by Velox on 23 Jul 2018 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Chain signals?

Post by acs121 »

Oh god, don't ever upload pictures in JPG. Post them in PNG, please.
For the signals near switches, you'd better use one-way patch-based signals.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

As acs121 says, decide on a direction for each track, and use one-way path signals. Waiting until the entire track is clear is too slow anyway.
Alternatively, you could have a single track with bypasses like
bypass.png
bypass.png (15.49 KiB) Viewed 3757 times
Trains will go to the next bypass when the track ahead of them is clear. Useful if you don't have enough money to build a full double track, or with a long connection that is barely used.

Bridges can be removed with the "Clear land" tool, which destroys almost everything. https://wiki.openttd.org/Railway_Constr ... on_toolbar
Select it, and click at one of the ramps at either side of the bridge.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Velox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Velox »

acs121 wrote:Oh god, don't ever upload pictures in JPG. Post them in PNG, please.
Hah amusingly I first uploaded a PNG then decided it was too big and someone might say something so I replaced it with the JPG. I've put the origional PNG back now. Good to know thanks.

What's a patch based signal? Programmable signal? I've just started so haven't heard this term. I just googled it and found a page for programmable signals which actually seems like it might be really helpful. Is that what you mean? Like the below?:
PSig-Overview.png
PSig-Overview.png (42.88 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
acs121 wrote:Trains will go to the next bypass when the track ahead of them is clear. Useful if you don't have enough money to build a full double track, or with a long connection that is barely used.

Bridges can be removed with the "Clear land" tool, which destroys almost everything. https://wiki.openttd.org/Railway_Constr ... on_toolbar
Ok thanks. I don't know how I missed that tool! :oops:

Are you saying it isn't possible to chain signals like I was trying to do (without mods) or just that I shouldn't? As I say, I know there are better ways to do this or ways around it, i'm just trying to test what I can and can't do with signals in this case rather than find out the best way.

Thanks both!
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Path signals are the way to go ("patch" was a typo, they're the two signals on the right of the menu), when trains enter a path signal they can go through if they can reserve a path to the next signal. Therefore path signals should be used at all intersections where trains can cross each other's paths, and a path signalled intersection will behave similarly to a fully chain-signalled intersection in Factorio. In normal straight track, just use one way block signals as you would in Factorio.

In the example of your station, you need two way path signals facing the platforms to allow trains to wait there but also be able to enter the platforms. Put one way path signals at the end of one way tracks.

Get rid of those two way block signals, they'll just cause trouble. In fact don't ever build two way block signals or any of the pre-signals; they're only there for legacy reasons or super advanced setups. Hell, I've been playing for over a decade and never need them.

Hope this helps, from a fellow Factorio fan :)
Velox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Velox »

Emperor Jake wrote:Get rid of those two way block signals, they'll just cause trouble. In fact don't ever build two way block signals or any of the pre-signals; they're only there for legacy reasons or super advanced setups. Hell, I've been playing for over a decade and never need them.

Hope this helps, from a fellow Factorio fan :)
I read that path signals are a CPU hog so should only be used when you can't get away with using pre signals or should that be taken with a pinch of salt now given that this game has been around for a while? Perhaps that is old advice given current processor speeds? I am going away next week and plan on playing this on my GPD Win (Atom based CPU) which it may be a bit more valid for?

I have a loooooot of hours on Factorio! (nearly 2700 now!) Wouldn't call myself an expert but yeah I've played it a lot! :)

Cheers
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

They aren't (and never were) a CPU hog.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Velox wrote:
acs121 wrote:Oh god, don't ever upload pictures in JPG. Post them in PNG, please.
Hah amusingly I first uploaded a PNG then decided it was too big and someone might say something so I replaced it with the JPG. I've put the origional PNG back now. Good to know thanks.

What's a patch based signal? Programmable signal? I've just started so haven't heard this term. I just googled it and found a page for programmable signals which actually seems like it might be really helpful. Is that what you mean? Like the below?:

PSig-Overview.png

acs121 wrote:Trains will go to the next bypass when the track ahead of them is clear. Useful if you don't have enough money to build a full double track, or with a long connection that is barely used.

Ok thanks. I don't know how I missed that tool! :oops:

Are you saying it isn't possible to chain signals like I was trying to do (without mods) or just that I shouldn't? As I say, I know there are better ways to do this or ways around it, i'm just trying to test what I can and can't do with signals in this case rather than find out the best way.

Thanks both!
Sorry, meant one-way path-based signals. They are the ones with white and a red strip on them.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Velox wrote:I read that path signals are a CPU hog
This should has been wrote at the golden time of the 486 CPU…

I use only path signals even for separation blocks, and I Don't have any CPU problem with an old computer.

Path signals is the way to go, there is almost not any case where you may use another type of signals…
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

To demolish a bridge you use the demolish/destroy tool (shortcut "D" key) and then click on one of the end tiles when the bridge is clear.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

MagicBuzz wrote:
Velox wrote:I read that path signals are a CPU hog
This should has been wrote at the golden time of the 486 CPU…

I use only path signals even for separation blocks, and I Don't have any CPU problem with an old computer.

Path signals is the way to go, there is almost not any case where you may use another type of signals…
I only use PB signals on switches in all directions, then i put block signals for realism/estethical effects.

Return to “General OpenTTD”