Save a city!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Save a city!

Post by Baldy's Boss »

OK,the Charnston-Chinningdore route has great passenger demand,and Chinningdore station DESPERATELY needs a second platform,which I have built but have yet to connect.
One building stands in the way,which I currently can't demolish because the work done to build the second platform alienated the local authority.
BUT...is that the "city seed" tile,which I understand it kills a city to clear?
I don't think any of the adjoining tiles I've cleared could be it,because I see population upticks.
But it has to be in that area.
Please let me know before I kill the city!
Attachments
TradingburyMountainR.R.Co.,1stOct2009.sav
(3.99 MiB) Downloaded 73 times
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Save a city!

Post by Gwyd »

The city centre tile is always a road tile
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Can you tell me where it is in relation to the building I want to tear down?
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Well I had a look and the news isn't good...
uh-oh.png
uh-oh.png (116.01 KiB) Viewed 221 times
That red circle is where the centre tile was.
vrn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vrn »

I've heard somewhere that the town growth algorithm will also look for road tiles a few tiles around the city centre. I've run the save file for a year or two and the city still shows construction activity.
Tradingbury  Mountain R.R. Co., 24th Nov 2010c.png
Tradingbury Mountain R.R. Co., 24th Nov 2010c.png (200.83 KiB) Viewed 3384 times
Slightly offtopic, but your engine choice is sometimes a bit unfortunate. For example, you paired a Shinkansen from 2ccTrainsInNML with wagons from NARS. You should only use Multiple Unit wagons on them (as many Powered Wagons as needed to achieve a "reasonable" power output and Unpowered Wagons for the rest. A minimalistic estimate for "reasonable" would be 7000 hp in this case, though I personally would go for double the power :twisted:.)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

If you make the rail piece a level crossing, the town will continue to grow because the game considers it as both a road and rail tile.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Interesting.I deleted the red-circled center road time in January 2009 according to my autosaves but population peaked at the October save.
That 2010 screenshot has population down by a thousand despite the active construction (but would it go up with those buildings finished?
If adding pavement around that track saves the city I'd do it,though it would be a dead-end road.

So which wagons on my available list are powered?
I've been replacing the UKRS EE AL6 and NARS ASEA AMD-7 engines with Shinkansens on this route...the NARS Amfleet wagons are capped at 150 mph but after 2000 they are superseded by Talgo wagons that only go 125mph but are shorter.(Note Train 106,created by cloning,which has a 175mph Pineapple wagon on the end to use the saved length...but with the 125mph ASEA engine replaced by the faster Shinkansen a switch to faster wagons would be called for).
Some of my newest trains (on another route) use 143mph 2ccinNML wagons that hold 70 passengers,which I think allows better volume than the 100mph 80-passenger NARS doubledeckers or the various high speed 40-passenger wagons...but for Charnston-Chinningdore I want to see what adding the second platform does for throughput of the existing rolling stock.So I have to wait out being allowed to demolish that building and connect the platform.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Baldy's Boss wrote:(but would it go up with those buildings finished?
yes, buildings under construction do not count towards population
vrn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vrn »

Baldy's Boss wrote:So which wagons on my available list are powered?
2cctmuwagons.png
2cctmuwagons.png (34.95 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
Use these two wagon types and only these for MUs from 2ccTrains. How many powered wagons you need depends on the engine. There are some very powerful MUs (notably the various TGVs), where you only need one or two of them for a 6-tile-train, but there are also trains like the DB TEE, which accelerates like crap even when the whole consist is made up of powered wagons.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Baldy's Boss wrote:Interesting.I deleted the red-circled center road time in January 2009 according to my autosaves but population peaked at the October save.
That 2010 screenshot has population down by a thousand despite the active construction (but would it go up with those buildings finished?
If adding pavement around that track saves the city I'd do it,though it would be a dead-end road.

So which wagons on my available list are powered?
I've been replacing the UKRS EE AL6 and NARS ASEA AMD-7 engines with Shinkansens on this route...the NARS Amfleet wagons are capped at 150 mph but after 2000 they are superseded by Talgo wagons that only go 125mph but are shorter.(Note Train 106,created by cloning,which has a 175mph Pineapple wagon on the end to use the saved length...but with the 125mph ASEA engine replaced by the faster Shinkansen a switch to faster wagons would be called for).
Some of my newest trains (on another route) use 143mph 2ccinNML wagons that hold 70 passengers,which I think allows better volume than the 100mph 80-passenger NARS doubledeckers or the various high speed 40-passenger wagons...but for Charnston-Chinningdore I want to see what adding the second platform does for throughput of the existing rolling stock.So I have to wait out being allowed to demolish that building and connect the platform.
First disable carriage speed. This may be simpler.
Next powered wagons. They have been shown by vrn. Be aware that if you put a TGV South-East or a Thalys Paris-Brussels-Köln-Amsterdam, with only powered wagons, it will accelerate hell damn fast and for a 5-tile train with a TGV South-East you will have 45,000 hp - which is enough to get the train to it's max speed on less than 5 tiles.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I have some no-limit carriages on my menu if I wanted that.
Anyway,I put some pavement on that center tile BUT the population seems in decline.But if I fork back to where I blew up the road...what other course could the track for the second platform follow?
Now that the platform's there backlog has vanished but that could be the declining population.
Attachments
TradingburyMountainR.R.Co.,29thApr2011.sav
(4 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
vrn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vrn »

Hey, I took a closer look at the vehicle list and discovered that there are three versions of each default train: First in the list are likely the ones from OpenGFX+Trains, then there are the actual default vehicles which for some reason get reintroduced when the SH50&SH60 grf is loaded, and lastly we have the trains from the Original vehicle names grf.
Furthermore, your save file seems to be slightly bugged, since most of the default wagons have corrupted graphics. Just for the record, it occurs with all base graphics and with OpenTTD versions 1.8.0 and r28004.
Attachments
Tradingbury Mountain R.R. Co., 29th Apr 2011.png
(520.84 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Tradingbury Mountain R.R. Co., 21st Aug 2011.png
(338.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Tradingbury Mountain R.R. Co., 21st Aug 2011#2.png
(362.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I know about the triple default engines (I preferentially use the most reliable version of each,normally).The question-mark wagons,I avoid (wrote about that a long time ago,in re the Malberg Mauve game).
In my play I don't see the question marks in those trains,you must have different display settings.

But is Chinningdore doomed?
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

vrn wrote:Hey, I took a closer look at the vehicle list and discovered that there are three versions of each default train: First in the list are likely the ones from OpenGFX+Trains, then there are the actual default vehicles which for some reason get reintroduced when the SH50&SH60 grf is loaded, and lastly we have the trains from the Original vehicle names grf.
Furthermore, your save file seems to be slightly bugged, since most of the default wagons have corrupted graphics. Just for the record, it occurs with all base graphics and with OpenTTD versions 1.8.0 and r28004.
Didn't load the save yet, but did you type "gamelog" in the console ? That may help.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

All the gamelog shows me is what NewGRFs were loaded and when the version played changed.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

No, i meant : that would help to know if you changed NewGRFs. A lot of people do, don't worry ;)
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I don't change the NewGRF set once a game has started.
I just want to know if I have doomed that city by my track placement (it's hard to see how else to add a second platform) before my autosaves from before I routed that track are overwritten.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Baldy's Boss wrote:I don't change the NewGRF set once a game has started.
I just want to know if I have doomed that city by my track placement (it's hard to see how else to add a second platform) before my autosaves from before I routed that track are overwritten.
Well see that tile in red Gwyd pointed out ?
Put a level crossing here and this city can grow. As simple as that !
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Does a dead end road count?
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

It doesn't. It must be a full tile like on the level crossings.

Return to “General OpenTTD”