3D Transport Tycoon

A 3D Transport Tycoon-like game, an incomplete version of which was released as "Trains & Trucks Tycoon".
anaconda
Chairman
Chairman

Post by anaconda »

Well, there are two main issues with 3DTT/TTT: Size of maps and time.

The first one is easy to explain. There is too little room on the maps to build RRT or TTd sized networks. Even though I fill up the maps with a lot of industries, there is not much to do.

Time is a bit more complicated, but the main issue is 20 years is too little to build anything serious. I placed a depot, build a train, and never had to think about the train ever again. I even removed the depot so I didn't have to reduce the speed over the switch. (A later patch fixed this issue). The train was as good as new during the whole game.

This game have so much potential, but it seems like only a bit of it is used. I would really pay for addons that came out regulary, (like new trains, industries, maps, new signals, track elements (switching yard, anyone?), goods, houses, company buildings, features, more complex economy, greater controll of the vehicles etc).
I'm lost in space. Visiting mother earth once in a while.
Jan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Jan »

@Arathon
I didn't build that one. You got two settings for the curves. I do, 99.9% of the times, use the large one, only in emergency using the tight one. My rails are build a lot more realistic. And yes, so many things need work on. You can see the previous posts for link on missing features list (German only). Peter there explain what was in game and was cut, because the push or cut because the company didn't want to spend more time and money on development. This is btw, part of the lawsuit, the game was published, against Peter wishes, unfinished.
@Anaconda
Why my games are not limited by the 20 years limit anymore? Because simple economy or no competition, but I'm playing games over 20 years limit. Maybe Peter will be able to answer this one. My last one started in 1950 and now is 2064.
And even with those maps, I'm still very busy to connect all the industries, mostly I'm forced to quit, because of my CPU limit. As Peter explain in one of the posts, some of the structures are eating memory like crazy. I will post my maps in 2D, so you can really see how complicated network you can build. With better switches between the rails and improved signals, which are implemented in his new beta, as I heard, we will be able to build even better network. I have to be patient. In this moment I just wish for two things. Level crossing and better schedule listing. Those numbers do not tell me anything. Actually 3. Presignals will help to simplify the stations. :roll:
anaconda
Chairman
Chairman

Post by anaconda »

I guess I'll install it once again. But what should I do to get a greater map and longer time to build my empire? Find the newest patch? Get an addon?
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Jan wrote:@Arathon
I didn't build that one. You got two settings for the curves. I do, 99.9% of the times, use the large one, only in emergency using the tight one. My rails are build a lot more realistic. And yes, so many things need work on.
I didn't mean the curves themselves, but the ways trains take those curves. As far as I can make that up from the second screen (and the way trucks moved in the demo), it goes a little shocky, if you catch my drift.
anaconda
Chairman
Chairman

Post by anaconda »

Ahh, I've read the patch.txt-file, and it mentioned larger maps :) Let's try it out!

Edit: No, it wasn't. Only larger overview-map :(

Edit 2: The game was over after 20 years. But I could build more if I wanted to. But what's the point? There's no Hall of Fame anyway. Oh well. Back to TTd :)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

In all this time, I haven't been able to find the real game anywhere. Noone sells it anymore, and playing the demo is really annoying. But is laying track improved since the demo? I can't recall choosing between two different radius for curved track!
Jan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Jan »

Top row, between x and the bulldozer.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Let me have a look at that...
G-Klav
Chairman
Chairman

Post by G-Klav »

Maybe it's me being slow, but I haven't find any download links on the 3DTT page, where can I download it?
G-Klav

Note: my avatar is best viewed with the 'silver' scheme on the forums.
Jan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Jan »

You are not slow. This is the commercial version (Trains & Trucks Tycoon), any work on the new version of 3DTT, (I think Beta 8 will be the newest), has been halted till the lawsuit is over. Hopefully March 19!
I did see some copies on eBay not long ago.
Peter Dobrovka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Peter Dobrovka »

There is no public download at this time.

As you might heard (or not) there are copyright issues around 3DTT/TTT. Ubi Soft has released an illegal modification of 3DTT Beta 4 (One of the most annoying modifications was the 20 year limit.), and the patch they have done afterwards was only to block the little help I have given for some corrupt vehicle data.

I have sued the violators (Ubi and VX), the hearing at the court will be on March 19th. VX, the company who has sold Beta 4 illegally to Ubi, became bankrupt this month, so maybe there is a chance of an improved re-release of 3DTT in some months. I have no hopes to ever make money of this, the project has been killed successfully.

Peter
CragTek
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CragTek »

Isometric is much better than 3D. It loses something when it goes into the third dimension... quite bizaare as most genres benefit from it.

And Trains and Trucks Tycoon is obvioulsy a blatant rip. Scandal. Saw it in the shops for something like 5 pounds - wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Don't hold your breath for TT2 just yet, although Rollercoaster Tycoon was originally being developed as it before he came up with that idea - so you never know.
Marmite.
Jan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Jan »

Can you tell me to whom is your post addressed? All 3 sentences doesn't make any sense.
Maybe this can help.
Can you read?
sultana
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by sultana »

I take it to everyone, though only the first sentence has some relevence :? I don't see what's so bad about 3D, if anything the gameplay looks better, more things to do (you know bridges and stuff). The only reason I might not like it is because my PC may not run it, but that's beside the point.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

CragTek wrote:Isometric is much better than 3D. It loses something when it goes into the third dimension... quite bizaare as most genres benefit from it.

And Trains and Trucks Tycoon is obvioulsy a blatant rip. Scandal. Saw it in the shops for something like 5 pounds - wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Don't hold your breath for TT2 just yet, although Rollercoaster Tycoon was originally being developed as it before he came up with that idea - so you never know.
I think you will change your mind when you see rein's work
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Jan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Jan »

sultana wrote:I take it to everyone, though only the first sentence has some relevence :? I don't see what's so bad about 3D, if anything the gameplay looks better, more things to do (you know bridges and stuff). The only reason I might not like it is because my PC may not run it, but that's beside the point.
Very soon you will get better one. It's very hard to stop progress. Why stick to old technology, if new one offers more and better? You are stuck on old one because you are not yet working. Dependent on you parents pocket. I have hard time to upgrade my kids computers, it cost tooooo much. And, believe me, I'm not poor. I'm maintaining 4 systems. 2 of my kids, my wife's one and my personal one. To keep with all new graphics cards, sounds, speakers and HD capacity cost a lot. But never, ever downgrade yourself from technology improvements. What ever you can't play today, you will be able to play tomorrow. And, you will be able to play stuff real cheap if you wait. All the games will end in bargain bin soon or later. The 3D is nice in some instances, 2D still got my vote for, let say, RPG's. But 3D implementation is, in the case of Tycoon Transport type of games, WAY better then anything else. Just take a look in this thread's screenshots. I have to admit, some of them is blurry, because I had to resize them to be smaller. But, you still can see the advantage of real 3D.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Jan wrote:The 3D is nice in some instances, 2D still got my vote for, let say, RPG's.
I don't agree, Neverwinter Nights looks great in 3D, and although some things are missing, I wouldn't want to go back to the 2D of Baldur's Gate II (only maybe for the gameplay).
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

Jan wrote:The 3D is nice in some instances, 2D still got my vote for, let say, RPG's. But 3D implementation is, in the case of Tycoon Transport type of games, WAY better then anything else. Just take a look in this thread's screenshots.
I agree that 3D looks better. But does it play better? I've often found 3D map controls to be inprecise and difficult to use.

2D/isometric maps, particualarly if tiled, are much easier to control.

With control I mean placing/activating/pointing things/map spots, i.e. to lay track, build buildings or build bridges.

OTOH there are mixtures between isometric display and real 3D that keep a lot of the benefits from both .. i.e. industry giant 2 (hope that the name of it in english speaking countries) has a mostly isometric display but zooms in/out very nicely, because it uses kind of 3D display engine:

http://www.jowood.com/gamers/index.php? ... GameID=ig2

c.u.
Hajo
anaconda
Chairman
Chairman

Post by anaconda »

sultana wrote:I take it to everyone, though only the first sentence has some relevence :? I don't see what's so bad about 3D, if anything the gameplay looks better, more things to do (you know bridges and stuff). The only reason I might not like it is because my PC may not run it, but that's beside the point.
It's how you see it. I think it's a bit more difficult to play such games in 3d, because you have to rotate and watch the terrain you are building in etc (taking 3dtt as an example). But I think this is just because I'm not used to it yet. I guess if it had been the real 3dtt that had been released back then, the 3d would be natural now.
anaconda
Chairman
Chairman

Post by anaconda »

Peter Dobrovka wrote:There is no public download at this time.
Is there any official sites that I may watch for announcements preferably in english?
As you might heard (or not) there are copyright issues around 3DTT/TTT. Ubi Soft has released an illegal modification of 3DTT Beta 4 (One of the most annoying modifications was the 20 year limit.), and the patch they have done afterwards was only to block the little help I have given for some corrupt vehicle data.
Ahh, so I didn't step on your toe there about the 20 year limit... I don't know what your plans are, but if that is removed, and there will be an option to increase the size of the maps, that would be a reason enough for me to buy it a second time. If there would be a hall of fame too, that would be a bonus. (I like to keep track on my successful (or not so successful) companies.
I have sued the violators (Ubi and VX), the hearing at the court will be on March 19th. VX, the company who has sold Beta 4 illegally to Ubi, became bankrupt this month, so maybe there is a chance of an improved re-release of 3DTT in some months. I have no hopes to ever make money of this, the project has been killed successfully.
But may I then return my trains&trucks tycoon to the store that sold it to me, and get my money back, if you win in court? Since it's an illegal copy of the game. And would that affect you if I did or did not?

I hope you at least get back the rights of your own game.

Return to “3DTT (Trains & Trucks Tycoon)”