Recent developments around OpenTTD

A TTD clone that was under development. Development has now been stopped.
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Recent developments around OpenTTD

Post by TBOT »

As many of you already may have notice an exact clone of TTD has suddenly appeared. At first I feared for the existence of TTU, but I've just took a look into the code and my fear has partly gone away.

OpenTTD doesn't mean the end of TTU. TTU will try and provide a neat extendible and configurable alternative to TTD.
Our code will be neatly Object Oriented, using a logical design not only optimized for speed. In the short run this will take up time, in the long run it's an assurance that other people will be able to work with the code too.

At least the release of OpenTTD motivated me and balloz on putting more time into TTU, which might create some wonderful results soon (notice the 'might' :roll:).

TTU will continue! We will proof that coding doesn't have to be done the Chris Sawyer-way!
Last edited by TBOT on 08 Jul 2004 01:16, edited 1 time in total.
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

so you are not to worried, but a bit worried that this could take all of the attention.

after a while, a new one will get the people! :wink:
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

Born Acorn wrote:so you are not to worried, but a bit worried that this could take all of the attention.

after a while, a new one will get the people! :wink:
For as far we're concerned this is not really 'a new one', it's just the TTD source. It will take time before other people figure out how it works, and figure out ways to make it extendible. On the other hand it will also help the development of TTU since we now have a quite exact insight in the algorhytms used by TTD.

A nice extra people might want to know, the source looks like the C version of TTS... (and if you're still wondering why we passed onto C++, look into the OpenTTD source)
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

so this should speed up the project?
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

Yes, TTU should continue, especially with the legal contreversy surrounding OpenTTD right now.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

I still have 100% confidence in TTU. :)

I don't know why but there's something about OpenTTD that makes it crappy in my eyes..
No offence Ludde/Owen/whoever else. :P
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

well the openttd forums has got twice as many post and threads as this forum now, and is actually developing quite fast, how are you guys responding to this? It seems like everyones forgotten about TU. :?
charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by charlieg »

Is TTU close to releasing any source code yet?

Development releases are important for picking up developers and fans, as well as fixing issues as they arise.
Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community

Return to “Transport Unlimited”