Percentage completed?

A TTD clone that was under development. Development has now been stopped.
geophilip2
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Percentage completed?

Post by geophilip2 »

Could you guys give an estimation of the percentage completed, for people like me who hardly understand technical details. That would be great
-Thanx
this is where I used to live in my avatar, not where I'm from
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

No, because that would be a Bad Thing. :)
Loz Balloz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Loz Balloz »

I would really like to answer this question, but as many times: it's impossible. A game like TTS is never finished, especially not once we release the source. For the moment we have only the very basic concepts and ideas ready, of which a lot are still left unimplemented. Probably you have no idea how much time it costs before you can actually start creating the game itself. Actualy, we don't even know it ourselfs. So making a statement about the percentage completed would be really pointless... The only thing I can say: be patient... :)
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

Could you give us a slight idea of how long we gotta be patient?

IE are we talking days, weeks, months, half years, years or decades?

Also for the wery erly betas ?
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

5 googol nanoseconds.

(that's 50000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 seconds)

but seriously, they're thinking about releasing a tech demo soon, I believe

[Edit from TBOT: I cut ur number in half, my browser began to scroll :roll:]
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

As I've stated before, our plans were to release a demo around christmas. So that gives us 20 days to create something impressive around the base we have now (A very basic GUI, almost no game engine and a start on the config file parser).
Note though that (as said on our website) we don't have deadlines, so don't complain if we don't release anything around christmas.
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

You'll have something done by Christmas...
*Carefully doesn't specify which Christmas*
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

TBOT wrote:As I've stated before, our plans were to release a demo around christmas. So that gives us 20 days to create something impressive around the base we have now (A very basic GUI, almost no game engine and a start on the config file parser).
Note though that (as said on our website) we don't have deadlines, so don't complain if we don't release anything around christmas.
Well, this is a bit offtopic, but C++ Builder has a TIniFile class which makes it really easy to read/write inifiles. No work needed on your side :)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

Darkvater wrote:
TBOT wrote:As I've stated before, our plans were to release a demo around christmas. So that gives us 20 days to create something impressive around the base we have now (A very basic GUI, almost no game engine and a start on the config file parser).
Well, this is a bit offtopic, but C++ Builder has a TIniFile class which makes it really easy to read/write inifiles. No work needed on your side :)
You say two evil things: C++ Builder and ini

C++ Builder: We want to keep things portable, if this class only exists in C++ Builder it means that there will only be Dos/Windows binaries.

Ini: You ever wonder why Windows got rid of most ini configuration files and put everything in the registry ? Ini is not particulary what you say a extendible 'language' for configuration. The amounth of configuration we're talking about just asks for a custom built config parser.
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

Bah, the Windows registry is no better than INI files when it comes to being "extendible". I personally have always wondered what's so hot about the Windows registry.

I'd personally go with an INI, XML, or a custom config file - the Windows registry isn't portable!

TBOT is right about C++ Builder: It's a good idea to avoid compiler-specific libraries, especially if you're going to make it open-source - other people might want to compile it with other compilers ;).
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

if your program has got 1 file (EXE only) then it can use Registry ... the same for soemthing that have to be accesible from many tools/programs overy whole PC

INI/XML/other files when your tool is bigger, with many files/databases and don't have to be accesible with other tools
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:if your program has got 1 file (EXE only) then it can use Registry ... the same for soemthing that have to be accesible from many tools/programs overy whole PC

INI/XML/other files when your tool is bigger, with many files/databases and don't have to be accesible with other tools
Though we don't WANT to use the registry, since it's not portable :)
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

I agree, for project like that there is no point in using registry
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

Zetor2003 wrote:Could you give us a slight idea of how long we gotta be patient?

Also for the wery erley betas ?
I ask again as you changed to C++
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

Zetor2003 wrote:
Zetor2003 wrote:Could you give us a slight idea of how long we gotta be patient?

Also for the wery erley betas ?
I ask again as you changed to C++
May I state that this post makes absolutely no sense, the change to C++ was done quite a while before you posted (you posted 4 dec, the change was announced 16 oct).

But still, our recent replanning will slow us down even more, so any approximations will be extremely unaccurate, so I won't give any :wink:.
Petae
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Petae »

Prof. Frink wrote:You'll have something done by Christmas...
*Carefully doesn't specify which Christmas*
now is by x-mas, where can I download it?
Everything is relative
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

TBOT wrote:Note though that (as said on our website) we don't have deadlines, so don't complain if we don't release anything around christmas.
<-- says it all...
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

Well, you got to have a at least slight idea, like wil it be in a year or in 5 years or... Will it posibilly be before 2005? And the full game relese, will it be before 2010? And so... Wery unacurate but gives an slight idea...
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

Zetor2003 wrote:Well, you got to have a at least slight idea, like wil it be in a year or in 5 years or... Will it posibilly be before 2005? And the full game relese, will it be before 2010? And so... Wery unacurate but gives an slight idea...
You don't quite grasp the concept here, do you?

I could say we'll finish before 2010, why not, but I have no clue if we will ever make that promise true (who says we're still developing TTU by then..).
I also cannot look into the future, I don't even know how busy I will be with my study in a month (let alone on year basis). The only real vacations I have as a student in the netherlands are with christmas and in the summer, of which I also don't have the slightest estimates on how much I will do on TTU.
Another factor is that we don't exactly know how much TTU will require before a reasonable release.

Adding this up makes an equation with multiple unknowns, making it really impossible to say anything usefull about it.

Just don't expect TTU too soon, that's all I can say...
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Sigh...

"How long will it approximately take?"

"We are unsure. We can't tell..."

Zetor: "Can you tell use how long we are going to have to wait for the game?"
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.

Return to “Transport Unlimited”