Percentage completed?

A TTD clone that was under development. Development has now been stopped.
User avatar
geophilip2
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Posts: 288
Joined: 04 Oct 2003 10:03
Location: Berlin, Germany

Percentage completed?

Post by geophilip2 » 23 Nov 2003 02:08

Could you guys give an estimation of the percentage completed, for people like me who hardly understand technical details. That would be great
-Thanx
this is where I used to live in my avatar, not where I'm from

ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer
Posts: 3610
Joined: 26 Dec 2002 16:39
Location: Over there --->

Post by ChrisCF » 23 Nov 2003 21:50

No, because that would be a Bad Thing. :)

Loz Balloz
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 10
Joined: 03 Aug 2003 18:57
Location: Behind my computer
Contact:

Post by Loz Balloz » 25 Nov 2003 16:24

I would really like to answer this question, but as many times: it's impossible. A game like TTS is never finished, especially not once we release the source. For the moment we have only the very basic concepts and ideas ready, of which a lot are still left unimplemented. Probably you have no idea how much time it costs before you can actually start creating the game itself. Actualy, we don't even know it ourselfs. So making a statement about the percentage completed would be really pointless... The only thing I can say: be patient... :)

User avatar
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 5762
Joined: 09 Oct 2003 14:00
Location: Nordland, Norway
Contact:

Post by ThorRune » 04 Dec 2003 22:37

Could you give us a slight idea of how long we gotta be patient?

IE are we talking days, weeks, months, half years, years or decades?

Also for the wery erly betas ?
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.

User avatar
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 2743
Joined: 20 Oct 2002 14:55
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Post by Lilman424 » 04 Dec 2003 22:46

5 googol nanoseconds.

(that's 50000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 seconds)

but seriously, they're thinking about releasing a tech demo soon, I believe

[Edit from TBOT: I cut ur number in half, my browser began to scroll :roll:]
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor
Posts: 441
Joined: 30 Jul 2003 18:36
Location: The Codecave

Post by TBOT » 04 Dec 2003 23:05

As I've stated before, our plans were to release a demo around christmas. So that gives us 20 days to create something impressive around the base we have now (A very basic GUI, almost no game engine and a start on the config file parser).
Note though that (as said on our website) we don't have deadlines, so don't complain if we don't release anything around christmas.
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein

Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 3849
Joined: 20 Jan 2003 14:51
Location: Broadstone, Dorset
Contact:

Post by Prof. Frink » 04 Dec 2003 23:11

You'll have something done by Christmas...
*Carefully doesn't specify which Christmas*

User avatar
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 3053
Joined: 24 Feb 2003 18:45
Location: Hong Kong

Post by Darkvater » 06 Dec 2003 10:08

TBOT wrote:As I've stated before, our plans were to release a demo around christmas. So that gives us 20 days to create something impressive around the base we have now (A very basic GUI, almost no game engine and a start on the config file parser).
Note though that (as said on our website) we don't have deadlines, so don't complain if we don't release anything around christmas.
Well, this is a bit offtopic, but C++ Builder has a TIniFile class which makes it really easy to read/write inifiles. No work needed on your side :)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."

TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor
Posts: 441
Joined: 30 Jul 2003 18:36
Location: The Codecave

Post by TBOT » 06 Dec 2003 14:00

Darkvater wrote:
TBOT wrote:As I've stated before, our plans were to release a demo around christmas. So that gives us 20 days to create something impressive around the base we have now (A very basic GUI, almost no game engine and a start on the config file parser).
Note though that (as said on our website) we don't have deadlines, so don't complain if we don't release anything around christmas.
Well, this is a bit offtopic, but C++ Builder has a TIniFile class which makes it really easy to read/write inifiles. No work needed on your side :)
You say two evil things: C++ Builder and ini

C++ Builder: We want to keep things portable, if this class only exists in C++ Builder it means that there will only be Dos/Windows binaries.

Ini: You ever wonder why Windows got rid of most ini configuration files and put everything in the registry ? Ini is not particulary what you say a extendible 'language' for configuration. The amounth of configuration we're talking about just asks for a custom built config parser.
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein

CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor
Posts: 480
Joined: 07 Nov 2003 17:52
Location: USA

Post by CobraA1 » 06 Dec 2003 15:11

Bah, the Windows registry is no better than INI files when it comes to being "extendible". I personally have always wondered what's so hot about the Windows registry.

I'd personally go with an INI, XML, or a custom config file - the Windows registry isn't portable!

TBOT is right about C++ Builder: It's a good idea to avoid compiler-specific libraries, especially if you're going to make it open-source - other people might want to compile it with other compilers ;).
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 13749
Joined: 09 Jan 2003 08:37

Post by SHADOW-XIII » 06 Dec 2003 22:01

if your program has got 1 file (EXE only) then it can use Registry ... the same for soemthing that have to be accesible from many tools/programs overy whole PC

INI/XML/other files when your tool is bigger, with many files/databases and don't have to be accesible with other tools
what are you looking at? it's a signature!

TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor
Posts: 441
Joined: 30 Jul 2003 18:36
Location: The Codecave

Post by TBOT » 06 Dec 2003 23:30

SHADOW-XIII wrote:if your program has got 1 file (EXE only) then it can use Registry ... the same for soemthing that have to be accesible from many tools/programs overy whole PC

INI/XML/other files when your tool is bigger, with many files/databases and don't have to be accesible with other tools
Though we don't WANT to use the registry, since it's not portable :)
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein

SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 13749
Joined: 09 Jan 2003 08:37

Post by SHADOW-XIII » 07 Dec 2003 01:36

I agree, for project like that there is no point in using registry
what are you looking at? it's a signature!

User avatar
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 5762
Joined: 09 Oct 2003 14:00
Location: Nordland, Norway
Contact:

Post by ThorRune » 29 Dec 2003 13:45

Zetor2003 wrote:Could you give us a slight idea of how long we gotta be patient?

IE are we talking days, weeks, months, half years, years or decades?

Also for the wery erley betas ?
I ask again as you changed to C++
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.

TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor
Posts: 441
Joined: 30 Jul 2003 18:36
Location: The Codecave

Post by TBOT » 29 Dec 2003 15:46

Zetor2003 wrote:
Zetor2003 wrote:Could you give us a slight idea of how long we gotta be patient?

IE are we talking days, weeks, months, half years, years or decades?

Also for the wery erley betas ?
I ask again as you changed to C++
May I state that this post makes absolutely no sense, the change to C++ was done quite a while before you posted (you posted 4 dec, the change was announced 16 oct).

But still, our recent replanning will slow us down even more, so any approximations will be extremely unaccurate, so I won't give any :wink:.
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein

User avatar
Petae
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 1076
Joined: 15 Jun 2003 15:26

Post by Petae » 29 Dec 2003 16:00

Prof. Frink wrote:You'll have something done by Christmas...
*Carefully doesn't specify which Christmas*
now is by x-mas, where can I download it?
Everything is relative

TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor
Posts: 441
Joined: 30 Jul 2003 18:36
Location: The Codecave

Post by TBOT » 29 Dec 2003 19:10

TBOT wrote:Note though that (as said on our website) we don't have deadlines, so don't complain if we don't release anything around christmas.
<-- says it all...
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein

User avatar
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 5762
Joined: 09 Oct 2003 14:00
Location: Nordland, Norway
Contact:

Post by ThorRune » 09 Jan 2004 12:39

Well, you got to have a at least slight idea, like wil it be in a year or in 5 years or... Will it posibilly be before 2005? And the full game relese, will it be before 2010? And so... Wery unacurate but gives an slight idea...
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.

TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor
Posts: 441
Joined: 30 Jul 2003 18:36
Location: The Codecave

Post by TBOT » 09 Jan 2004 13:21

Zetor2003 wrote:Well, you got to have a at least slight idea, like wil it be in a year or in 5 years or... Will it posibilly be before 2005? And the full game relese, will it be before 2010? And so... Wery unacurate but gives an slight idea...
You don't quite grasp the concept here, do you?

I could say we'll finish before 2010, why not, but I have no clue if we will ever make that promise true (who says we're still developing TTU by then..).
I also cannot look into the future, I don't even know how busy I will be with my study in a month (let alone on year basis). The only real vacations I have as a student in the netherlands are with christmas and in the summer, of which I also don't have the slightest estimates on how much I will do on TTU.
Another factor is that we don't exactly know how much TTU will require before a reasonable release.

Adding this up makes an equation with multiple unknowns, making it really impossible to say anything usefull about it.

Just don't expect TTU too soon, that's all I can say...
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein

User avatar
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 8683
Joined: 10 Jul 2002 15:08
Location: Enschede, The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by GoneWacko » 09 Jan 2004 19:40

Sigh...

"How long will it approximately take?"

"We are unsure. We can't tell..."

Zetor: "Can you tell use how long we are going to have to wait for the game?"
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.

Locked

Return to “Transport Unlimited”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest