Norwegian (NSB) Trainset | Taster released!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Should the metro be in the set?

Poll ended at 14 Sep 2004 16:34

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 14

Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Norwegian (NSB) Trainset | Taster released!

Post by Nagyzee »

You could check out the Hungarian or MÁV Set (don't know under which name it is posted on the forum). You can find it in the OTTD graphics section. It also has a NoHAB in it, though in orange colour. And it's not perfect either, it has a bit too long nose there. But you could use it for inspiration maybe.

And it's good to see the Di.3 is being worked on. That's my favourite loco and with it your set will be a lot more "ready" as it is the most important diesel loco of Norway (historically) most probably.

Oh, and could you please use a "model" that has three headlights? Most of the Di.3s had 3, not 2.

Btw here is a Hungarian site that might be of interest to you:
http://nohab.hu/nsbpics.html
fire87
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by fire87 »

Nagyzee wrote:Oh, and could you please use a "model" that has three headlights? Most of the Di.3s had 3, not 2.
Well, this Di.3 actually has four. Both right below and right above the windows. Due to it having four is because most Di.3's actually had four, not three, headlights because of our nice dark winters :)

I'll check out that train then.
Currently working on:

Norwegian (NSB) Trainset
Topic | Website
Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Nagyzee »

Sorry, I meant the rather characteristic central headlight on the nose which is missing on 3.643. Is this loco the only one with this feature? All the other Norwegian Di.3s I saw pictures of have it...
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Maybe you can use my Swedish Ra as a starting point? Looks much the same, just a bit short and with pantographs. I could use a Di.3 in the Swedish train set too...

http://www.jarnvag.net/test/images/bild ... 04stor.jpg
Attachments
ra.png
ra.png (1.83 KiB) Viewed 5863 times
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

they look VERY much alike, ATLEAST on a ttd scale! Remove the phantos and they would be the same thing. Perhaps the Di3 is slightly taller?
Member of the
ImageImage
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

The Di.3 looks taller, longer and a bit flatter in the nose (judging by the pictures only). In TTD scale, I think the length (and livery!) is the only thing that needs consideration.

(Oh, and there's roof without pantos in the sprites above)
Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Nagyzee »

Yes, the differences are quite big (the nose has a largely different shape, too) but it might work out in TTD scale.

Also this loco might be interesting for the 2CC set as well in my opinion. The Danish MY, the Norwegian Di.3 and the Hungarian M61 are essentially the same with some very minor differences. For example the Norwegian ones have a different, bigger snowplough and if I remember correctly the roof is not the same either. But they have the same characteristics (same motive power, power, max speed etc.) as far as I know except for 1-2 Norwegian locos that were built for the Finnish Railways originally with A1A' A1A' axle scheme.
And nowadays they are used on many different private railways in Germany, Norway and even in Sicily, while 4 of the Di.3s were given to Kosovo so they operate there.

Btw there are lots of NoHAB pictures on nohab.hu (http://nohab.hu/pictures.html), it's worth it to check them out. The ones made in Norway are especially breathtaking. The Raumabanen is probably the nicest railway line I have ever visited. (Too bad that I got there only after the withdrawal of the Di3s :( )
How can one not like pictures like these:
http://nohab.hu/nsb3623-10big.jpg
http://nohab.hu/nsb3623-9big.jpg
http://nohab.hu/nsb3623-7big.jpg
http://nohab.hu/nsb3623-6big.jpg

:)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Nagyzee wrote:[...] The Danish MY, the Norwegian Di.3 and the Hungarian M61 are essentially the same with some very minor differences.
There were indeed quite a number of those " classical NoHABs" in Europe:

- DSB´s classes MY and MX,
- NSB´s class Di3,
- SNCB´s classes 202, 203, 204,
- CFL´s class 16,
- MÁV´s class M61.

IIRC, Clyde Engineering in Australia was the first licensee of EMD/GM and only from their VRs, NoHaB developed the concept.
[...] except for 1-2 Norwegian locos that were built for the Finnish Railways originally with A1A' A1A' axle scheme.
Actually 5 in total. One test locomotive (for 140 km/h) and two more on their own account, all in finnish broad gauge (1524 mm). When the Finnish couldn´t decide to buy them, these were re-gauged and sold to NSB as Di3b (nos. 641 - 643, (A1A)'(A1A)' axle scheme). Two more built for lower speed, which the Finnish didn´t take over as well, were also sold to NSB as Di3c. These were of the Co'-Co' type, though.
Btw there are lots of NoHAB pictures on nohab.hu (http://nohab.hu/pictures.html), it's worth it to check them out. The ones made in Norway are especially breathtaking. The Raumabanen is probably the nicest railway line I have ever visited. (Too bad that I got there only after the withdrawal of the Di3s )
IIRC, there are still some Di3s in service with the Ofotbanen at Narvik.
How can one not like pictures like these: [...]
Ah yes, the good ol´ NoHABs! Who doesn´t like them? 8)

BTW, the German Wikipedia entry gives a lot more info than the English (which covers only the Di3) or the Hungarian. You should try to translate it if you´re interested in the more detailed history (or (better) check out one of those many NoHAB sites on the web).

regards
Michael
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

michael:

have you ever concidered joining some trivia-TV-show where you can choose the topic yourselves? In your case; trains :) You seem to have a bag on information in your head that nonne can match! We have such a show in norway, "kvitt eller dobbelt" ... roughly translates to "double or nothing", and i bet it is in other countrys as well.
Member of the
ImageImage
Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Nagyzee »

michael blunck wrote: There were indeed quite a number of those " classical NoHABs" in Europe:

- DSB´s classes MY and MX,
- NSB´s class Di3,
- SNCB´s classes 202, 203, 204,
- CFL´s class 16,
- MÁV´s class M61.

IIRC, Clyde Engineering in Australia was the first licensee of EMD/GM and only from their VRs, NoHaB developed the concept.
As far as I remember the Danish MX and SNCBs locos are sort of a different "branch" (different motive power as well maybe, don't remember now) while the MY, Di3 and M61 are essentially the same locomotive.
Actually 5 in total. One test locomotive (for 140 km/h) and two more on their own account, all in finnish broad gauge (1524 mm). When the Finnish couldn´t decide to buy them, these were re-gauged and sold to NSB as Di3b (nos. 641 - 643, (A1A)'(A1A)' axle scheme). Two more built for lower speed, which the Finnish didn´t take over as well, were also sold to NSB as Di3c. These were of the Co'-Co' type, though.
On nohab.hu the text says that the last two would have been higher speed ones (with 4 driven axles) as well but these were in such an early state of construction when the Finnish cancelled their order that these two could be rebuilt/modified to become a standard 6-axle powered Norwegian version.
IIRC, there are still some Di3s in service with the Ofotbanen at Narvik.
I know. But we went only up to Trondheim. It was still a very long and tiring journey with car. But I couldn't resist it and travelled by train twice. Once on Raumabanen and once on Flamsbana. I wanted to check out the railway museum too but we arrived to Hamar too late. :(
(Ironically "hamar" means "early" in Hungarian. :D )

Btw afaik one is still used as a snow plough loco by the Norwegian rail maintenance/infrastructure company. It was stationed at Finse or Voss on Bergensbanen 1-2 years ago at least and it pulled the "maintenance" train when one of the new EMUs derailed near Voss.
BTW, the German Wikipedia entry gives a lot more info than the English (which covers only the Di3) or the Hungarian. You should try to translate it if you´re interested in the more detailed history (or (better) check out one of those many NoHAB sites on the web).
Thanks, I'll check it out. I've already read a few good articles in Hungarian a few years before though. These locos have a very loyal and dedicated fanbase over here. :)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Nagyzee wrote:As far as I remember the Danish MX and SNCBs locos are sort of a different "branch" (different motive power as well maybe, don't remember now) while the MY, Di3 and M61 are essentially the same locomotive.
Right. The danish MXs are a bit shorter, lighter and less powerful. And the SNCBs haven´t been built by NoHAB at all, but by Anglo-Franco-Belge according to a NoHAB license. Those were a bit different as well, but at least they had the original GM prime movers.

Nevertheless, for me they´re clearly "round noses". I´d even go as far as including some of the Spanish GMs ... 8)
I couldn't resist it and travelled by train twice. Once on Raumabanen and once on Flamsbana.
Good thing!
Btw afaik one is still used as a snow plough loco by the Norwegian rail maintenance/infrastructure company. It was stationed at Finse or Voss on Bergensbanen 1-2 years ago at least and it pulled the "maintenance" train when one of the new EMUs derailed near Voss.
Was that (1-2 years ago) at the time when you´ve been in Norway?

regards
Michael
Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Nagyzee »

I was there 3 years ago, in 2005. This accident happened on the winter of 2006/2007 as far as I remember. I saw pictures of it on the net. And I just found them:

Check out the pictures on http://www.vossnow.net/ from February 2007. Under Date: 25 and 26.02.2007 there are a bunch of pictures of the accident and 3 642 arriving with the maintenance train. (The first passenger car is also a very nice old one on it.) And under Date: 14.02.2007 there are a few pictures of 3 628 painted totally in yellow and with a big snowplough. (I just noticed this one, never saw a totally yellow Di3 before. :) )

So it seems 3 642 is still in some kind of service at the NSB.

And I just noticed that there are quite a lot of railway pictures on the site, for example several just from February, 2007 taken at Myrdal station featuring El 14s, El 18s and that high speed EMU...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Nagyzee wrote:I was there 3 years ago, in 2005. This accident happened on the winter of 2006/2007 as far as I remember. I saw pictures of it on the net. And I just found them:
Very interesting pictures. And I didn´t know that site!? 8)

Yes, I think I had read about that acccident in one of the German NGs (where some people from Norway are posting too). I think, there were pictures as well. Have to look it up again.
And I just noticed that there are quite a lot of railway pictures on the site, for example several just from February, 2007 taken at Myrdal station featuring El 14s, El 18s and that high speed EMU...
Yes, yes, ... 8)

Thanks for sharing.

regards
Michael
Niek
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Niek »

Just wanted to share that I've played with the taster release and really enjoyed it. Very nice set for the arctic climate.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

if someone (oztrans?) can provide me with the original source can i add the MX3000 (i know the gfx suck bigtime, but it's better the nothing?) to the set, as well ans the Di3 (and whatever newly adopted engine graphics), plus i can add CB36 to all mu's, thus letting the different mus have different capacities, just like in the 2cc set. i did get PM from (Fire? or) Jim considering just these issues.

:)
Member of the
ImageImage
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

... the future of the Norwegian Trains Set ...
I don't think it is worth the effort to tinker around the edges of the current NSBSet; this set needs to be rewritten. The set is almost 3 years old, an extremely long time in the world of TTDPatch. There is no source, that anyone but me would be able to process. Many moons ago, I did start on a rewrite, but due to the general lack of interest, I put it back in its cupboard. Once that other set is out the door, I could spend some time in early January to give it a comprehensive work over.

Is there a real interest from the playing fraternity to revive the set ? May be a poll could answer that. I'd also like to know (from the many or few players) about those awkward and not so good things that should be improved.

I would consider the following features ...

. Add all those engines and wagons that have been in the works in the last 3 years.
. A total re-code of those many MUs, including individual capacities and cost structure.
. ECS cargo/industry compatibility.
. Adding metro tracks (3rd track type) and rolling stock.
. Freight Cars.
. Maybe create a Scandinavian Set by combining the Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish and Danish sets into one, but still allowing to have only vehicles from one (or 2 ) country available.
. Anything else that needs doing.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

OzTransLtd wrote:. Maybe create a Scandinavian Set by combining the Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish and Danish sets into one, but still allowing to have only vehicles from one (or 2 ) country available.
Maybe something like the 2cc set's paramaters for different region, so the player has the choice?
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

if you want to coop-dev i can help you out oz, as the 2cc set have pretty much come to a standstill lately.
Member of the
ImageImage
hjxbf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hjxbf »

I'd love this set to be revived! I've played with the taster for a long time, and the joy of seeing small replicas of familiar trains round the map is awesome!

I also really enjoy the detail of the graphics, the accuracy of the loco properties and the fact that it is Norwegian!

I'd definitely use this regularly if it was ever completed.
Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Nagyzee »

I'd also play this set if it's revived. I just avoided it till now because my favourite loco (the Di.3) is missing. Without it a Norwegian game just wouldn't feel complete to me.

Return to “Graphics Development”