Industries of the Caribbean

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

mytreds
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Industries of the Caribbean

Post by mytreds »

I concur on the ViV gs, and will try again with vanilla setting.

What’s the primary source of town growth? Just transportation of workers to factories? Mail? Or neither?

If I simply need a mass amount of cities and towns to supply towns, that might dissuade me from doing long plays as I like maps with smaller amounts of towns and industries, but I’ll still give it another try!
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

mytreds wrote: 31 Aug 2021 01:55 What’s the primary source of town growth? Just transportation of workers to factories? Mail? Or neither?
Right now both work. My eventual goal is to disable town growth from worker transportation (I've tried, but think there's a bug in OpenTTD itself — need some time to build a test GRF) and use mail only for town growth. It'll probably need a town growth multiplier when it's the only source of growth.

I use High for the number of towns, but if you prefer more spread-out maps you could just transport passengers from further away.

The other change I want to make, by the way, is making export payments not depend on the distance transported — you'd make the same for a Coffee Plantation right near the Import/Export terminal as one across the map. More importantly, you wouldn't pay more to import things to further industries, as this doesn't really make sense for gameplay. But negative payments in the NML profit callback are currently broken, so I'll need to compile a custom version with the proposed fix and do a lot of testing to find the right payment level. In any case, this will not happen anytime soon, as I'm currently working 72-hour weeks for a railroad in its busy season.
rizhiy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rizhiy »

Hi, I'm trying to use this GRF, but having problem with docks.

How do I get docks to accept my coffee?
I'm currently using a truck to transport coffee from the plantation to the dock, and a ship waiting for coffee at the dock, but the dock says that it accepts only mail.
Am I supposed to build the dock next to plantation itself? That seems stupid since they are usually quite a bit inland.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

You need to use a “Transfer and leave empty” order for the trucks to transfer the coffee to the ship
rizhiy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rizhiy »

2TallTyler wrote: 22 Sep 2021 00:51 You need to use a “Transfer and leave empty” order for the trucks to transfer the coffee to the ship
That works, thanks.
rizhiy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rizhiy »

I have another question: how do I raise my ratings with town's local authorities?
Normal option of advertising campaigns don't seem to work for me.
rizhiy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rizhiy »

Also, how do I get vehicles/trains for transporting new cargo?
I'm trying to transport food I get from selling coffee, but there isn't a vehicle that can transport food.
Do I just wait for them to become available?
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

NewGRFs can't affect town ratings, so this works the normal way. Not sure what you're experiencing.

Default vehicles currently can't transport all NewGRF cargos. You'll either need NewGRF vehicle sets or use the OpenTTD 12.0 beta which is currently available from the website or Steam (properties > betas), which adds NewGRF cargo compatibility to default vehicles.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Advertising campaigns are generally very ineffective at influencing town authorities. The common tricks to deal with this are a) planting a bunch of trees on the city's territory or b) bribes.
Last edited by Taschi on 22 Sep 2021 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
rizhiy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rizhiy »

2TallTyler wrote: 22 Sep 2021 20:25 NewGRFs can't affect town ratings, so this works the normal way. Not sure what you're experiencing.

Default vehicles currently can't transport all NewGRF cargos. You'll either need NewGRF vehicle sets or use the OpenTTD 12.0 beta which is currently available from the website or Steam (properties > betas), which adds NewGRF cargo compatibility to default vehicles.
Thanks, nightly beta provided appropriate vehicles

With regards to local rating, I think there might be a problem with not having passengers.
AFAIK, ratings usually increase when passengers are transported in town, but since there are no passengers in this GRF, that option is not available. Perhaps workers should be counted instead of passengers?
It seems this works properly in the nightly version.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
rizhiy wrote: 22 Sep 2021 10:32 I have another question: how do I raise my ratings with town's local authorities?
Normal option of advertising campaigns don't seem to work for me.
Build up to five stations that got at least a monthly service.

Tschö, Auge
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by andreasaspenberg »

i found one bug: the number of workers in the sugar mill stays at 0. it does produce sugar when workers arrive but, i can not see how many workers the sugar mill have stored.
teun_
Engineer
Engineer

Post by teun_ »

That may be intended design; I assume you are delivering so much more sugarcane then workers that they are simply consumed instantly.
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

how do i inport food?
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

teun_ wrote: 19 Oct 2021 10:18 That may be intended design; I assume you are delivering so much more sugarcane then workers that they are simply consumed instantly.
Yes, that's exactly what's happening. Workers only stockpile (up to 200, but this decays naturally if not used) if there is no cargo to process.
andreasaspenberg wrote: 29 Oct 2021 23:04 how do i inport food?
You export Coffee to get Food back. There's a handy guide in the Import/Export industry window:
trade.png
trade.png (39.77 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

how do i inport fertilizer?
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

andreasaspenberg wrote: 30 Oct 2021 14:27 how do i inport fertilizer?
See the screenshot in the posting directly above yours.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

0.2.0 beta1 is now released, with major changes including:

- Primary industries don't require Workers anymore (secondary industries still do)
- Option for cargo payments which don't consider distance (get paid for selling export cargo, not transporting it)
- Option to generate secondary industries on map creation, instead of having to fund them
- Bugfixes
pankratz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pankratz »

I have problems to use post-trucks. The game is telling me that the vehicle can't reach the station. :?:

And I also got a question about the workers: Should I only transport workers like any other good or should I always "bring them back" to their homes like passengers. And: Will the exchange of worker between to city help them grow?

Thanks. It's still fun!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

pankratz wrote: 29 Dec 2021 12:52 I have problems to use post-trucks. The game is telling me that the vehicle can't reach the station. :?:
If you're using an articulated vehicle, it can only access drive-thru stations.

Return to “Graphics Development”