Recycled ECS NewObjects

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Recycled ECS NewObjects

Post by Gadg8eer »

George wrote: 29 May 2020 13:45
Gadg8eer wrote: 29 May 2020 11:55 You do nice work and I would like to use ECS graphics in a large industry set at some point (with introduction dates, a large economy and other features), but I understand if you would rather not have someone using graphics you put a lot of work into. Is there any chance I can get permission to use ECS graphics, please?
Hello
Unfortunately not all the graphics in the set is drawn by myself.
I can grant permissions in terms of CC BY-NC-SA to the ones, I did.
But graphics, drawn by others, in most cases have "ECS only" license.
Here https://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/ECS_Vectors you can find the authors of every industry.

For example
https://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/ECS_Town_V ... ein_Castle
Drawn by George, help by Oz, Zimmlock (road to entrance, shadows) and you can use it
https://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/ECS_Town_V ... _Karlstein
Drawn by Darkwalker, and he provided strict "ECS Only" license. You have to contact him
https://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/ECS_Town_Vector._Factory
Drawn by Zimmlock, and he provided this graphics for ECS. You have to contact him
https://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/ECS_Basic_ ... rick_works
Drawn by George, pit graphics based on sand pit by andythenorth. So, you can use all the graphics except the pit, and you need to ask andythenorth about it
So, I can't use the "Karlstein" castle, but according to what I understand...

"NeuSchwanstein Castle" is made by George, and thus I can use it under the CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.

The Town Vector factory was created by Zimmlock, who has stated that his works can be relicensed at will.

The brick works are mostly made by George, with the exception of the sand pit which is made by andythenorth.
Gadg8eer wrote:
andythenorth wrote:...
If you see this, may I get permission to use the sand pit of the ECS brick works in an ECS-themed NewObject set for use with the One Tile Industry Set?
I want to start the creation of an OTIS-compatible NewObjects set using as many ECS graphics as possible. Unfortunately, with my recent behavior, I have been kicked from the discord channel permanently, so I am asking here for a second dedicated coder to help me bring this set to its full potential.

I will handle converting sprites to a template and whatever coding I already know how to do, but I will have to rely on the other coder to teach me various things, or (if it's more convenient for both parties) to code it without passing on any knowledge to me. All coding credits will go to the other coder, since it would be wrong for me to claim I created any of this.

Thanks for looking at this. There will be no further mention of past conflicts and arguments after this sentence. This topic is purely to attempt to bring George's ECS industries up to the latest standards of industry sets.

For now, here's the source code and GRF for the beginnings of Recycled NewObjects: ECS project, which currently amounts to a proof of concept with the ECS Oil Well drawn by George. Other Recycled NewObjects sets (such as OpenGFX Mars, Total Town Renewal Set 3, and Ufiby Depots from U&RaTT/U&ReRMM and U&ReRMM 2), which are all at some point further along than this project, can be found on the in-game content downloader.
Attachments
rno_ecs.grf
(23.05 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
ECSO_0.1a.7z
(1.68 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
Last edited by Gadg8eer on 11 Mar 2021 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Recycled ECS NewObjects

Post by michael blunck »

I'm really beginning to hate all this mediocre "recycling" of established sets. Especially if it is done by people which have neither graphical skills (or worse: who refuse to acquire them) nor any coding experience.

In fact, instead of further progress in set development, this trend seems to me not different to robbing. And of course, its outcome will be always worse than the original work.
This topic is purely to attempt to bring George's ECS industries up to the latest standards of industry sets.
Haha! On the contrary. The only serious enhancement of George's ECS set would be to include latest nfo/grf additions, code-wise.

Any graphical enhancements to this set seems to me out of reach for the current "modders". Especially, if it is done for just another one of these dreadful "object sets".

regards
Michael
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

michael blunck wrote: 11 Mar 2021 10:55 I'm really beginning to hate all this mediocre "recycling" of established sets. Especially if it is done by people which have neither graphical skills (or worse: who refuse to acquire them) nor any coding experience.
In fact, instead of further progress in set development, this trend seems to me not different to robbing. And of course, its outcome will be always worse than the original work.
I believe that it is up to the original creators to decide if they allow their work to be used in future projects.
If they want to protect their work from potentially being downgraded, they can do so very easily via licensing and/or copyrighting their work (for example as you are doing).

I personally think its a shame that some absolutely gorgeous graphics are just gathering virtual dust.
Converting those into objects makes them a lot easier to use.

Nonetheless, I think it is good that you voiced your opinion.
Graphics-artists and Coders should be very aware of what possibly can be done with their work and should therefor be careful with under what license they release their work.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

So no? No one is willing to teach me anything? No one is willing to do the coding themselves?

What is WRONG with this community?! How am I supposed to figure out anything I haven't done before if I have no access to the community's other members?
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

Gadg8eer wrote: 13 Mar 2021 03:26 So no? No one is willing to teach me anything? No one is willing to do the coding themselves?

What is WRONG with this community?! How am I supposed to figure out anything I haven't done before if I have no access to the community's other members?
Yes, nobody wants to. You was always begging others for help, and nothing ever gone right. Everyone here doesn't want to work with you as you had shown yourself in a role of infant, starting all these drama. There's no need to touch everything you see to help. I didn't read the whole story as I don't have enough time for such a useless thing, but only one I understood is that there's no one and nothing who can help you.
I sorry for offensive talk, and I wrote this mainly because I'm tired of seeing that the single thing happening in this community for last time is this war, which I think will not ever end.
Image Image
Sprite artist and NewGRF developer, coding in NML. My projects:
NewGRFs: Not Enough Subways Set | North American Passenger Railroads | Elevated Subway Bridge | Tony Pixel's Subway Equipment Set (frozen)
Screenshots: New York City Subway Episodes
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

Tony Pixel wrote: 13 Mar 2021 08:06
Gadg8eer wrote: 13 Mar 2021 03:26...
After a chat on discord, we've come to an understanding. Tony Pixel will be helping me to learn things like animations and multi-tile objects to be able to code ECS NewObjects!

I also want to apologize for losing my temper. You see, I used to be known as CyberBoy here, a long time ago, even before I was known as SimYouLater. I asked for GRFs to have options I would have found useful, and got a response of "no, do it yourself".

So, when I returned years later and took up the SimYouLater name, I tried to learn to code so that I could use my favorite graphics in ways the programmer never intended. This only resulted in people criticizing me for being "unoriginal" when originality was never what I was aiming for in the first place. I was aiming for adding more user options, and so I don't appreciate being told by one of the best GRF makers in the whole community that trying to support OTIS by reusing whatever ECS graphics can be legally acquired is "inferior to the original".

Nothing I've done has ever gotten anything but hate from this community. So I will be completing ECS NewObjects, and adding OGFX Mars industries to the Mars Habitat NewObjects, before hanging up my hat and leaving this community for good. For now, you can still expect at least a month of me sticking around to finish what I've started.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

You surely haven't been SimYouLater, please stop using excuses to justify your unpleasant behavior and begin acting like if you were a rebel against the unjust forums. I did act somewhat like you did before but would've never got banned from the forums or the Discord.

Return to “Graphics Development”