Dutch ROad Project - DROP

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

javelinnl
Engineer
Engineer

Dutch ROad Project - DROP

Post by javelinnl »

Started out as a bike mod, upscaled the scope a bit:

Bikes can use bicycle lanes and roads up to 60 km/h,
other vehicles can use roads but not the bicycle lanes.

Download here:
https://github.com/javelinnl/drop/blob/ ... f?raw=true
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Re: Dutch ROad Project - DROP

Post by Andrew350 »

Missed opportunity to name it DuRP ;)

On a serious note, looks good, it's an interesting idea :) You may want to do a bit more texturing to the pavement though, it looks a little monotone at the moment.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Very nice idea!! :bow:
Andrew350 wrote: 03 Jan 2021 02:44 Missed opportunity to name it DuRP ;)
Drop is Dutch for liquorice, you ain't Dutch if you don't like drop! :mrgreen:
(We eat tonnes of the stuff)

I agree with regards to the remarks about the texturing.
Maybe take a good look at the textures of Andrew's roads (or even use one of his roads, that doesnt have road-markings, as a base, as they are GPL-licensed).
Because the road-markings are very recognisable!

With regards to the texture of the bicycle lanes, take a look at Flogeza's City Objects:
viewtopic.php?p=1238776#p1238776

That has some bike-lanes that are a bit more brownish/pinkish, which may look a bit more soothing to the eye than the more reddish you have now.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
teun_
Engineer
Engineer

Post by teun_ »

I like this a lot, I think you did a very good job on the bicycles!

I agree with the rest here in the textures department, they're not bad per se they just look a little out of place amoung the rest of the much noisier opengfx.
I like your selection of roads, it's very representative of what's actually out there! I would however like to suggest renaming the Autoweg to Expressway and Autosnelweg to Motorway to better reflect the actual English translation.
javelinnl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by javelinnl »

Quast65 wrote: 03 Jan 2021 11:54 I agree with regards to the remarks about the texturing.
Maybe take a good look at the textures of Andrew's roads (or even use one of his roads, that doesnt have road-markings, as a base, as they are GPL-licensed).
Because the road-markings are very recognisable!

With regards to the texture of the bicycle lanes, take a look at Flogeza's City Objects:
viewtopic.php?p=1238776#p1238776

That has some bike-lanes that are a bit more brownish/pinkish, which may look a bit more soothing to the eye than the more reddish you have now.

Good idea, I'll go and take a look!

Yeah, the texture needs some love. I felt like adding some fresh eyes for advice though, I've been painting roads for too long so I'm at the stage where I'm going to hate everything I did, no matter what.
javelinnl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by javelinnl »

teun_ wrote: 03 Jan 2021 12:42 I like this a lot, I think you did a very good job on the bicycles!

I agree with the rest here in the textures department, they're not bad per se they just look a little out of place amoung the rest of the much noisier opengfx.
I like your selection of roads, it's very representative of what's actually out there! I would however like to suggest renaming the Autoweg to Expressway and Autosnelweg to Motorway to better reflect the actual English translation.

Expressway sounds classy, I like it.
javelinnl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by javelinnl »

Andrew350 wrote: 03 Jan 2021 02:44 Missed opportunity to name it DuRP ;)

On a serious note, looks good, it's an interesting idea :) You may want to do a bit more texturing to the pavement though, it looks a little monotone at the moment.
Like Quast65 said, it's liquorice :D
I'll admit that as an acronym it's a bit of a stretch though, perhaps I should call it the Dutch Roads & Objects Project, add some Dutch windmills and tulips fields for good measure.
javelinnl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by javelinnl »

Better?
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Although it's off topic here, but finally some cable cars :) And on the topic: When Holland, what about waterways? :)
teun_
Engineer
Engineer

Post by teun_ »

Something I also think is worth considering for the roads themselves is trolleybus overhead equipment (present in Arnhem after all) and perhaps even some tram rails?
teun_
Engineer
Engineer

Post by teun_ »

I just downloaded Velo as well and it seems like DROP and Velo are for some reason incompatible while they both work fine on their own. Is that intended behaviour?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

teun_ wrote: 12 Feb 2021 10:17 I just downloaded Velo as well and it seems like DROP and Velo are for some reason incompatible while they both work fine on their own. Is that intended behaviour?
Surprised an update wasn't made sooner. Erato released a fork of Velo to make it compatible with DRop: https://discord.com/channels/1427241115 ... 5348903034

And JohnFranklin made a fork of DRoP as well: https://discord.com/channels/1427241115 ... 5348903034

Return to “Graphics Development”