Danish Trains

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

nihues
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Danish Trains

Post by nihues »

Nice! I think it`s the first time I see something like these ones (like very rounded front)

OBS: They seems HAPPY looking upside down!!! :lol:
Jimbow
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Jimbow »

The MY/MX are indeed some very nice looking locomotives! 8) :D

It's very interesting to see the voxel model, and how it turns out in the game. I think the shape and shading are very good.
I don't know if the red color is too bright, and it will only be possible to see, when a few wagons are attached to the locomotive :wink: :wink:
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

0-8-0.PNG
0-8-0.PNG (37.7 KiB) Viewed 2852 times
0.8.0 now includes the Class MR, a cost rebalance to match RUKTS, and a new naming scheme.

Next up will most likely be the Copenhagen S-Tog trains, although I've had my eye on adding some coaches to give the locomotives something to haul...
Jimbow
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Jimbow »

The MR DMU is a great addition for the branch lines and regional services!

I have noticed a few extra red pixels on the white/red version. It happens in the rear end, when going in the / direction.

On the gray/blue version you sort of open a pandora box, by adding a green color at the doors. Originally the gray/blue design had green stripes at the doors, but later this changed to red. I don't remember exactly when this change happened, but maybe around 2011? However the process from green to red was quite random, and even the same trainset could have both green and red doors. And even today you can still spot a few green doors.

My point is that you could make both the green and red doors for all the trains, but this is much work for a small detail. It might be better to focus on adding more trains first, and then maybe this detail later...

Regarding the MR train, it actually consists of a MR unit and a MRD unit. There are some small differences with the windows and the doors. The MRD has only one window before the first door, which is a bit wider as the others. Later the rear door has been closed. Again this is rather small details!
Jimbow
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Jimbow »

Please ignore my comments about the MR train, because these details are not worth implementing! :roll:

It's better to prioritize adding other trains, and the S-trains would be very cool! You could start with the 2nd and 4th generation, as the 3rd were only built in a limited number.

Adding some B and Bn+Bns coaches would really improve the gameplay for the 1970-2000 period. Later the B+ABs would fill a gap as well, along with the ME, EA and the brand new EB.
I look forward to see how you will implement the push-pull trains, because you have added many nice features already! :lol:
jegerpizza
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jegerpizza »

Thanks for the great set! Been having a lot of fun with it over the past few days, reminds me of home seeing rubbernoses running around my OpenTTD map as a dane living abroad :)

I would agree with Jimbow if you're looking to add wagons to the set, start with the Bn and Bns (later ABns) driving trailers. - They have been used in regular traffic both with the MY, MX, MZ, ME and EA locomotives, so will fit nice with the MY, MX and MZ already in the set and if the ME and EA is made in the future.

The wagons came in a red and later blue design
Bn wagon: https://www.jernbanen.dk/dsb_pvognfotos ... Bn&typenr=
ABns wagon: https://www.jernbanen.dk/dsb_pvognfotos ... s&typenr=2
Some of the Bns / ABns wagons also had a gangway connection. https://www.jernbanen.dk/dsb_pvognfotos ... s&typenr=1

If you need any help with re-search and or translating Danish id be happy to help :D
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Thank you both for your nice comments. :)

I haven't been motivated to work on NewGRFs lately, but I'm starting to find energy again. The next release will include all four generations of Copenhagen S-Tog trains. Here's a teaser of the first generation, which I finished coding today. As with other multiple units, these are purchased in two-car pairs and when coupled into longer trains automatically choose the right sprite for that consist:

Code: Select all

MM-FS
MM-FM-FM-MM
MM-FS-MM-FS-MM-FS
MM-FM-FM-MM-MM-FM-FM-MM
stog1s.png
stog1s.png (55.06 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Maybe I'll work on push-pull wagons after Copenhagen gets its S-Tog trains. :)
Två X61:or
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Två X61:or »

That's awesome! This set is set is just becoming better and better! :bow:
Jimbow
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Jimbow »

I'm very happy to see process of this set again! :D

Motivation is a tough thing, and I really understand if you prioritize other stuff. I think a danish train set is a niche GRF, with a limited download count. It's up to you how you want to spend your time :wink:

That said, I hope that you are willing to expand the set a little bit further. I don't know if you already have a sort of roadmap for the set? You could set a short term goal, if it's helps you to keep your motivation up.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

0-9-0.png
0-9-0.png (75.81 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
Version 0.9.0 is now available, with all four generations of the Copenhagen S-Tog trains! The real trains came in a variety of consist lengths, but to avoid cluttering the buy menu I've made them all two-car sets which, when connected into longer consists, change their sprites accordingly.

These have a new role, "Urban Passenger", with high capacity and a slightly faster loading speed, offset by faster passenger decay since they would be uncomfortable for a longer journey.
Jimbow wrote: 31 Mar 2021 17:31 I don't know if you already have a sort of roadmap for the set? You could set a short term goal, if it's helps you to keep your motivation up.
I was actually commissioned to make this set and was given a list of trains, although I've done some not on the list out of my own interest (like the X2000) and am not bound to complete the list either.

I've now finished the DMU and EMU trainsets, which are significantly more complex than locomotives or wagons. They're both more complex to draw thanks to the challenges of rendering decent windows on the diagonal sprites (one of the weak area of rendering 1x zoom sprites from voxels, along with pantographs...), and more complex code-wise because of fake-reversing and automatic consist length selection.

Next week I'm moving 2,200 miles for a new job and will finally be getting out of lockdown, so I may be occupied with other things this summer. But when I find time to continue working on this, locomotives and any wagons will be significantly easier and faster. I may even get around to the steam locomotives once I figure out how to distribute the locomotive and tender lengths nicely into 0.5 or 0.25 tile multiples.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Will this contain the most recent additions to the fleet as well?

The class EB (Siemens Vectron) entered service last year, currently pulling double-decker cars on regional service, and will eventually also be pulling the Talgo passenger coach sets that were ordered last year. (It will still be a few years before the Talgo coaches enter service.)

Just recently DSB also signed a contract to purchase Alstom Coradia Stream EMUs that will eventually replace the IC3, IR4 and IC4 trains.
jegerpizza
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jegerpizza »

Been putting a few 4th gen S-tog into use in my game, continuing to have fun with this set. Thanks for your hardwork and best of luck with the move :bow:

2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

jfs wrote: 13 May 2021 13:44 Will this contain the most recent additions to the fleet as well?
Yes, I expect it will.

Thanks for the interest and kind words, all. :)
Jimbow
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Jimbow »

Great to see that I'm not the only one who is enjoying this set! :lol:

The new update is amazing! :lol: 8)

The quality of the trains are excellent, as well as the very clever coding! It's great that they have a difference to the other trains, regarding loading speed and decay. The S-trains are very nice on my suburban lines.

Good luck with the move!

Return to “Graphics Development”