[32bpp] JP+Set - JGR/JNR/JR Japanese Trains

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

[32bpp] JP+Set - JGR/JNR/JR Japanese Trains

Post by Tintinfan »

Bringing more Japan to OpenTTD!

If you've had eyes on #openttd on Twitter, scrolled through #development on the OpenTTD discord or peered at screenshots on the TT-Forums with a Japanese twist - chances are you may have spotted a Japanese train that isn't in one of the many Japanese trainsets out there. That mystery is solved...a new Japanese Trainset is being worked on!

The Team

Azusa: Art
RIPper_KR: Art
Tintinfan: Coding, Art
Wicket-303: Art

The Trains

What trains are included, I hear you say? - The focus of the JP+Set is on DMUs & EMUs operated by JGR, JNR and JR. The trains included do overlap with JapanSet3 but there has been particular focus on real liveries, more variations, fine details and most importantly missing trains.
There are of course plenty of other trains and liveries coming along! :D

ImageImageImage

Releases & Source

Latest stable version is available in-game on BaNaNaS (content downloader) or on GitHub releases.

Source is on GitHub.
Last edited by Tintinfan on 07 Sep 2021 22:59, edited 6 times in total.
Regards,

Tinny/Tintinfan. :)
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: JP+Set - JGR/JNR/JR Japanese Trains

Post by Fairyfloss »

I'm looking forward to seeing this released! Any rough estimates of when we can expect a first release, or is it too early to say?

Also, since the focus of this set is DMUs and EMUs, will there be another set focused on locomotives and rolling stock? Or are there no current plans for that?
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

Darthrafael wrote: 23 Nov 2020 19:11 I'm looking forward to seeing this released! Any rough estimates of when we can expect a first release, or is it too early to say?

Also, since the focus of this set is DMUs and EMUs, will there be another set focused on locomotives and rolling stock? Or are there no current plans for that?
Working on a goal for you to have something by the end of the year, it's got a number of tasks to complete before a release though. That said, private play testing and feature checking has been going well. :)

JP+Set's sister set on the locomotive/carriage side is Japanese Secret Engines. A number of graphics intended for this set have been redirected over there to compliment the work Jake has done so far, so you will be seeing more there on the locomotives/rolling stock front soon as well in the future! As such, this set will continue to focus on MU's for now. Don't worry - we are secretly all working together to give you more and more Japanese trains. :wink:
Regards,

Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

Merry Christmas everyone! :)

It's been a long year for everyone, but perhaps a good year to work on NewGRFs! :D - We've been working hard to get this perfect and some trains are going under graphics review or having pantographs added so they'll work whatever the consist length...I hope you can all understand that we would like to release each train in as best a finished state as possible. Wouldn't be right if you built a 2-car 209 Series EMU and there wasn't a pantograph until it was a 3-car unit now, would it?

That said - it's Christmas and it has been a long year and we have teased everyone more than enough over the years. Therefore, I've cut out the complex trains that still need some refinement and released for you all to play with a "Christmas 2020 Preview". Please enjoy the taster for what is to come over this festive period - and look forward to more in 2020!

Finally, the trains you see in the preview are not cost balanced - and the costs are subject to change in future non-preview release versions. This can lead to warnings and unstable savegames.

So what is being worked on?
- Completing the code for exisiting trains (a list can be found in the first post, this will be the main aim for the next release)
- 115 Series liveries and 209 Series variations
- 153, 225, 227, 321, 323, 383,415, 455, 485, 489, 651, 711 719, 781, KiHa 40/48, KiHa 81/82, KiHa 181, KiHa 183 Series (and some more derivatives...it's a mammoth project so sit tight!)

For now though, merry christmas to everyone and enjoy our little present to you. :D
Attachments
JPplus_v017p.grf
(2.06 MiB) Downloaded 410 times
Regards,

Flamingo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Flamingo »

Hi there,

It’s my first post ever on this forum, so please forgive me for my poor english/inappropriate language.

First of all, is there any estimated time for the next release? And if the planned release is still several months or heck maybe even years away, is there any chance to get another alpha/preview/testing version?

I’ve been working on a Japan map featuring every single JR route and stations.(Currently 400+ stations with realistic train length considered in the Kanto area) And I’m definitely willing to prioritize any other routes/areas to help you with the testing. I can help with looking up for train data or images too, but will probably take quite a long time to learn the coding or drawing though.

Really appreciated your work to bring even more JR/JNR trains to the already huge collections.(But of course one can never be satisfied, which is why I’m so hyped about this project!)
wicket-303
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wicket-303 »

Flamingo wrote: 27 Mar 2021 04:12 Hi there,

It’s my first post ever on this forum, so please forgive me for my poor english/inappropriate language.

First of all, is there any estimated time for the next release? And if the planned release is still several months or heck maybe even years away, is there any chance to get another alpha/preview/testing version?
Thank you for your comment. I am also very bad at English.
I think the next update will have a lot more trains! Please look forward to!
I think the next release will be possible in April.
Ryanhari
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ryanhari »

I hope more update this this month
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

Hi all,

I hope that this month or next month we can bring the set to BaNaNas (content downloader). The final tasks for this to happen are to fix costs/running costs and review any data - and get some screenshots for a release thread. After this release, we can move to a regular update schedule that focuses on new trains and bugfixes.

For the most part there are only a handful of new trains since the last release, with more focus going into functionailities like formations depending on the length of the trains, fixing multiple-unit coupling and reversing codes and making sure electric trains have a pantograph regardless of their length.

Also, the 115 series is now exceptionally colorful thanks to Wicket-303/Bamito's hard work on sprites! :bow:

However, I do believe that excluding the cost issues - the set is mostly ready and therefore you can have what is hopefully the final pre-release version. :D
Attachments
JPplus_v020.grf
(9.61 MiB) Downloaded 253 times
Regards,

Flamingo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Flamingo »

Omg this is amazing!!!!

That moment when the bilevel green cars pop up in the right livery/train length on E231s made me cry..., not to mention those awesome 115 liveries!

Anyway thanks yall for such a great grf and I'm just gonna head back to my saved games now :D
Ruhdman_Meow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruhdman_Meow »

I liked how this is a new hit, but I noticed something funny playtesting

1 car can only accomodate 1 passenger lol
And the 203 series is not included to the JNR fleet? Could be fun having those in despite being only one line
Edit: Would be nice seeing the Shonan/Tokaido and Yokosuka/Sobu Rapid trains have their 15 car sets for 10+5/11+4 for livery change ouo

Here's hoping for improvements!
Ruhdman_Meow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruhdman_Meow »

Ruhdman_Meow wrote: 23 Apr 2021 01:18 I liked how this is a new hit, but I noticed something funny playtesting

1 car can only accomodate 1 passenger lol
And the 203 series is not included to the JNR fleet? Could be fun having those in despite being only one line
Edit: Would be nice seeing the Shonan/Tokaido and Yokosuka/Sobu Rapid trains have their 15 car sets for 10+5/11+4 for livery change ouo

Actually, nvm on the passenger count, it was on a paremetre I touched. Oops!
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

Ruhdman_Meow wrote: 23 Apr 2021 01:18 1 car can only accomodate 1 passenger lol
I will put a warning against that - is that the "realistic" mode?
Ruhdman_Meow wrote: 23 Apr 2021 01:18 And the 203 series is not included to the JNR fleet? Could be fun having those in despite being only one line
It will be, just nobody has drawn one. That said - it is a great big metal box, perhaps the most box-like of all the trains, so I'm sure it will be done quickly one day. :D
Ruhdman_Meow wrote: 23 Apr 2021 01:18 Edit: Would be nice seeing the Shonan/Tokaido and Yokosuka/Sobu Rapid trains have their 15 car sets for 10+5/11+4 for livery change ouo

I won't be making these 11+4/10+5 formations automatic. I know that cab cars appear in other formations, most notably for the 165/169 series, but that is because of the weird and wonderful way they are coupled. In this case - since it is two seperate units - you need to add the 4/5 car unit onto the back yourself.

One advantage of this though, is you can join the E231 and E233 series together, which if you look around is something you will find happening in real life too. The train will also retain the formation on reversing, so it should look pretty sleek.

Regards,

Ruhdman_Meow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruhdman_Meow »

Ruhdman_Meow wrote: 23 Apr 2021 01:18 Edit: Would be nice seeing the Shonan/Tokaido and Yokosuka/Sobu Rapid trains have their 15 car sets for 10+5/11+4 for livery change ouo

I won't be making these 11+4/10+5 formations automatic. I know that cab cars appear in other formations, most notably for the 165/169 series, but that is because of the weird and wonderful way they are coupled. In this case - since it is two seperate units - you need to add the 4/5 car unit onto the back yourself.

One advantage of this though, is you can join the E231 and E233 series together, which if you look around is something you will find happening in real life too. The train will also retain the formation on reversing, so it should look pretty sleek.

[/quote]

I just had that realisation now, and I feel dumb for that statement qwp My apologies, have a good day!
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

Addressing multiple issues found since the last version (thanks to everyone who submitted bug reports) - and with a new train... version 0.3.0 is out. This version will be distributed via BaNaNaS soon.

The biggest change in this version are running costs, purchase costs and preformance changes for all trains. If you find anything amiss please let us know.

Edit: For whatever reason I can't seem to attach the file right now, so you can download it through the GitHub URL: https://github.com/Tintinfan/JPplusSet/ ... s_v030.grf
Attachments
JPplus_v030.grf
(9.65 MiB) Downloaded 200 times
Regards,

Ruhdman_Meow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruhdman_Meow »

Sorry about last time, but here's my current review ^^

Liking the fixes on the E217 and 221 trains, and how long the bi-level liveries can look silly being doubled
Mostly have been using the GRF for trains, not much looked peculiar except 205 Yamanote livery
Which brings me to Car 10, the doors become 4 rather than 6 when reversing

Waiting for more updates, but take your time!
Here's to a nicer day for you guys! ^^
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

Ruhdman_Meow wrote: 20 Jun 2021 23:35 Sorry about last time, but here's my current review ^^
No need to be sorry, please keep reviewing each release. :D
Ruhdman_Meow wrote: 20 Jun 2021 23:35 Liking the fixes on the E217 and 221 trains, and how long the bi-level liveries can look silly being doubled
Mostly have been using the GRF for trains, not much looked peculiar except 205 Yamanote livery
Which brings me to Car 10, the doors become 4 rather than 6 when reversing
How long are you making your trains? :D Must be very long if you've got double bi-levels!

Thanks for reporting this, has been fixed for the next release. Let us know if you spot anything else!
Regards,

Ruhdman_Meow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruhdman_Meow »

Good Evening, sisters!
Tintinfan wrote: 05 Jul 2021 05:58 How long are you making your trains? :D Must be very long if you've got double bi-levels!
I once tried making a full 15 set instead of 10+5 / 11+4 like they always were, that's how I got it lol
Tintinfan wrote: 05 Jul 2021 05:58 Thanks for reporting this, has been fixed for the next release. Let us know if you spot anything else!

I saw E217 this time, it's funny how the bi-level cars go to usual train cars when the sets reverse in 11+4
Yokosuka E217 Funky Reeversing Sprite.PNG
Yokosuka E217 Funky Reeversing Sprite.PNG (171.2 KiB) Viewed 10969 times
10+5, it makes car 14(4th of the 5 car sets) have the bi-level
Tokaido E217 Funky Reversing Sprite.PNG
(205.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I giggle at my use of trains here, so, here's some quick report!
Ruhdman_Meow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruhdman_Meow »

Evening again!

A little curious, will there be more Joban Line trains like the E531? And how's the 101-205 series going? Hope you guys are doing fine with the works for the grf~!

Loved playing with the trains for multiple companies!
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

I'm sure I can give you a little update as to what is coming in the next version! :D Along with a few fixes (thanks for your bug reports, the E217 is fixed and a few others) - there a quite a few more trains and new contributers: Erato and ChuoSpecialRapid201.

There are new sprites for the 205 series and the 201 series has been completed with all liveries it has worn (excluding specials), thanks to ChuoSpecialRapid201. The KiHa 80 has made an appearence, along with the 485 series. The 207-900 series has also been added! The 205 series is waiting for a re-code and more liveries - so it might not make it for the next version.

The E531 series has been completed by Bamito-303, but is not yet in-game. I will hopefully be adding it in this week.

Erato has kindly finished off the E353, which will add to Bamito's 651 Series that has also been coded (which means the next version will have 2 new Joban Line trains). For full details, I've added the changelong as of today below - no doubt more will change before the next release.

Code: Select all

Changelog:
Added 121 Series.
Added 207-900 Series.
Added 485 Series.
Added 651 Series.
Added 719 Seires.
Added 7200 Series.
Added E353 Series.
Added KiHa 80 Series.
Updated 201 Series, all major liveries now included.
Updated Japanese translations.
Updated English descriptions.
Fixed E217 Series reversing issues.
Fixed 205 Series reversing issues.
Fixed KiHa 40 roof diagonal views.
Fixed 415-5 (Nanao) livery.
Regards,

Ruhdman_Meow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruhdman_Meow »

oh mah goodness, queens!

Cheers to the progress! And more to come!

Return to “Graphics Development”