[32bpp] JP+Set - JGR/JNR/JR Japanese Trains

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Re: JP+Set - JGR/JNR/JR Japanese Trains

Post by Tintinfan »

The JP+ world grows, with JP+EW (JP+ Engines and Wagons) joining in. :D It has been planned for a while now, hence why on release the files so far have been called "JP+ Multiple Units". JP+ Engines and Wagons is coded/managed by Emporer Jake as a seperate NewGRF, but we have been working closely throughout each sets development. Similar artists are also working on both the sets at the moment - so it was only natural to share a common brand.

I'll update the header post sometime with links to both sets as JP+ Engines and Wagons gets closer to a release, however if you follow the link to Jake's post you can find a link to GitHub where you can test out the latest build version. ;)
Regards,

Tinny/Tintinfan. :)
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

JP+MU v0.4.0 has more new trains than ever before, a whopping 18 new train types with different liveries - ranging from the revolutionary 60s diesel express KiHa 80 to the tiling Playstation 5 style E353 and everything inbetween.

No doubt with so many new trains, there will be some bugs and issues - so please do get in touch either here, Discord or via GitHub.

The update will be released via BaNaNaS - you can also download the latest release via GitHub.

Code: Select all

Changelog:

Added 121 Series.
Added 207-900 Series.
Added 225 Series.
Added 227 Series.
Added 321 Series.
Added 323 Series.
Added 373 Series.
Added 383 Series.
Added 485 Series.
Added 651 Series.
Added 685 Series.
Added 719 Series.
Added 7200 Series.
Added E353 Series.
Added E531 Series.
Added KiHa 33 Series.
Added KiHa 80 Series.
Added KiHa 1000 Series.
Updated 201 Series, all major liveries now included.
Updated Japanese translations, all descriptions added.
Updated English descriptions and errors.
Fixed 415-1500 Series misaligned sprite.
Fixed E217 Series reversing issues.
Fixed 205 Series reversing issues.
Fixed KiHa 40 roof diagonal views.
Fixed 415-5 (Nanao) livery.
Regards,

Ruhdman_Meow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruhdman_Meow »

Me: *loving all the goodness and new updates*
E217: Hahahahaha~
Yokosuka E217 Funky Reeversing Sprite 1.PNG
(262.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Still the best error to date XD Get some breaks now and then too, pls~!
Ruhdman_Meow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruhdman_Meow »

Sisters!

New issue found! qwp

When reversing, train loses power as a 2 car set, also either/and stuck to 2kph if with wagons
Trains with Similar issues:
JR West:
JR Central:

6000 JR Shikoku: MU sprite is a bit jagged to its side with the end cars.

That's all for tonight!
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

The E217 is just cursed.... :lol:

I can't replicate the other issue you are having - on a new game with the set loaded on JGRPP. Can you maybe send me a savegame file with the error? Does the error happen on a fresh new game?
Regards,

Ruhdman_Meow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruhdman_Meow »

Tintinfan wrote: 27 Jul 2021 20:35 The E217 is just cursed.... :lol:
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE lol
Tintinfan wrote: 27 Jul 2021 20:35 I can't replicate the other issue you are having - on a new game with the set loaded on JGRPP. Can you maybe send me a savegame file with the error? Does the error happen on a fresh new game?
The error was on a used savegame, maybe I'll set a new savegame for this predicament ^^ I'll see through my schedule
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

Ruhdman_Meow wrote: 28 Jul 2021 00:41
Tintinfan wrote: 27 Jul 2021 20:35 The E217 is just cursed.... :lol:
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE lol
Tintinfan wrote: 27 Jul 2021 20:35 I can't replicate the other issue you are having - on a new game with the set loaded on JGRPP. Can you maybe send me a savegame file with the error? Does the error happen on a fresh new game?
The error was on a used savegame, maybe I'll set a new savegame for this predicament ^^ I'll see through my schedule
I have been able to replicate it now. I know the cause of this is commonly something wrong in the reversing code. I'll try and fix it - and update soon. I've got a few other bugs pointed out to me as well...
Regards,

Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

Ruhdman_Meow wrote: 28 Jul 2021 00:41 The error was on a used savegame, maybe I'll set a new savegame for this predicament ^^ I'll see through my schedule
Please have a go with this version and see if you've still got the bug: https://github.com/Tintinfan/JPplusSet/ ... JPplus.grf
Regards,

Ruhdman_Meow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruhdman_Meow »

Ruhdman_Meow wrote: 27 Jul 2021 11:45 When reversing, train loses power as a 2 car set, also either/and stuck to 2kph if with wagons
Trains with Similar issues:
JR West:
JR Central:

6000 JR Shikoku: MU sprite is a bit jagged to its side with the end cars.
Tintinfan wrote: 28 Jul 2021 10:08 Please have a go with this version and see if you've still got the bug: https://github.com/Tintinfan/JPplusSet/ ... JPplus.grf
Oh, Sisters~!

Fixed bugs:

JR Shikoku:
6000 MU jagged sprite = aligned now

JR Central:
373 and 383 = No longer stuck to 2kph/halted when reversing

JR West:
321, 323, and 227 = No longer stuck at 2kph when reversing

Cheers to the fix! And have some nice rests every now and then~!
hrhold
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hrhold »

Could you adjust the transport volume to be similar to the Korean train set? I think the current JP+ set's passenger capacity is unrealistic, not reflecting the rush hour. Because of this, I like the design, but it is difficult to introduce due to poor transportation capacity. I hope you can reflect this in the next update.
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

hrhold wrote: 31 Jul 2021 19:53 Could you adjust the transport volume to be similar to the Korean train set? I think the current JP+ set's passenger capacity is unrealistic, not reflecting the rush hour. Because of this, I like the design, but it is difficult to introduce due to poor transportation capacity. I hope you can reflect this in the next update.
Hello,

There is already a setting in the parameters for "Very High" Capacity. You can also make it match TIAS/NATS with the "Boost" button below. It looks like 1x is the best setting with the Korean Train Set.

What setting are you using for cargo capacity multiplyer? I can add a new option to fit with the Korean Trainset numbers.
Regards,

hrhold
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hrhold »

I have already set the passenger capacity to 'very high' and applied 'capacity boost', but the capacity is still small, with 240 people in the two cars and 120 people per car. The phrase "x2 is the appropriate option for Korean train set", which neglects the real rush hour, so I think it should accommodate 800 people in the two cars and at least 400 people per car.
I hope you can reflect this in the next update. Thank you.
ssmit132
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ssmit132 »

Hi,

Always nice to see more Japanese rolling stock available for use, so thank you for your work so far. :)

However, there seems to be an issue with running costs being altered for unrelated vehicles when this set is used. I noticed this when trying to troubleshoot why my running costs were so extreme in a game with many NewGRFs; I found that it could cause vanilla vehicles to have their cost affected.

Below is a comparison between the running costs of some vanilla vehicles when running without any NewGRFs (left) versus when JP+ is active (right):
ImageImage

Changing the running cost parameter for JP+ does affect the running costs for everything else as well, with the "very low" setting giving running costs double of that of the originals:

I can confirm that it also does affect the costs of some non-train NewGRFs as well, such as FISH and Av9.

I'm assuming this behaviour is unintentional? It makes the set a bit awkward to use when totally unrelated vehicles suddenly get many times their normal running cost. :P

(Post edited after looking into this issue more and determining that it's not just this set that is causing my vehicle costs to be messed around. I was running a game with a bunch of different NewGRFs that aren't usually used together, and didn't want to blame JP+ for problems it wasn't causing :()
Ruhdman_Meow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruhdman_Meow »

Me: *simply enjoying using the trains*
323: Hey~ *reverses*
Me: qwp

Found something interesting, sisters

I had 8 snips heck
Attachments
JR West Wacky 323 Sprite 1.PNG
JR West Wacky 323 Sprite 1.PNG (64.18 KiB) Viewed 5424 times
JR West Wacky 323 Sprite 2.PNG
JR West Wacky 323 Sprite 2.PNG (68.96 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
JR West Wacky 323 Sprite 3.PNG
JR West Wacky 323 Sprite 3.PNG (73.58 KiB) Viewed 5424 times
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

Hello all,

Thanks for your bug reports. They really help make the set better for everyone - so please, please, please keep them coming! I have been very busy of recent, so I have not had time to reply as fast as I'd like and get these bugs fixed.
Ruhdman_Meow wrote: 13 Aug 2021 04:42 Me: *simply enjoying using the trains*
323: Hey~ *reverses*
Me: qwp
N-NANI!? KANSAI DORIFTO?! *EUROBEAT INTENSIFIES*

Thanks for this, I have installed measures to prevent the 323 Seires from multi-track drifting. :D
hrhold wrote: 05 Aug 2021 04:41 I have already set the passenger capacity to 'very high' and applied 'capacity boost', but the capacity is still small, with 240 people in the two cars and 120 people per car. The phrase "x2 is the appropriate option for Korean train set", which neglects the real rush hour, so I think it should accommodate 800 people in the two cars and at least 400 people per car.
I hope you can reflect this in the next update. Thank you.
I will add some more settings for passenger capacity that will enable you to multiply the set to a larger amount, in line with the Korean set, before the next minor release.
ssmit132 wrote: 11 Aug 2021 04:38 However, there seems to be an issue with running costs being altered for unrelated vehicles when this set is used. I noticed this when trying to troubleshoot why my running costs were so extreme in a game with many NewGRFs; I found that it could cause vanilla vehicles to have their cost affected.
I'm assuming this behaviour is unintentional? It makes the set a bit awkward to use when totally unrelated vehicles suddenly get many times their normal running cost. :P
Thank you for your wonderful and detailed bug report. This is not intentional and I will investigate this further, I think it might have something to do with how the "JapanSet3 override" and possibly the way the cost is modified. I will find a better solution. The costs/running costs/decay rate is going to be updated again anyway - as we have devised a new formula for calculating this. Previously the formula was too simple and A LOT of trains had the same cost/running cost. The new formulas takes into account how many vehicles were built, over what period they were built, the power of the motors, speed of the train and lifespan of the train in real life to come up with what its costs should be.
Regards,

Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Tintinfan wrote: 15 Aug 2021 18:00 N-NANI!? KANSAI DORIFTO?! *EUROBEAT INTENSIFIES*
Pretty sure it's "kansei dorifto", i. e. "perfect drift".
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

Taschi wrote: 15 Aug 2021 19:06
Tintinfan wrote: 15 Aug 2021 18:00 N-NANI!? KANSAI DORIFTO?! *EUROBEAT INTENSIFIES*
Indeed, however the train at fault here is a JR West 323 Series - which operates exclusively in Osaka. Osaka is in the KANSAI region of Japan. ;) It's a joke - but you are right, it is kansei dorifto.
Regards,

Ruhdman_Meow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruhdman_Meow »

Tintinfan wrote: 15 Aug 2021 19:23
Taschi wrote: 15 Aug 2021 19:06
Indeed, however the train at fault here is a JR West 323 Series - which operates exclusively in Osaka. Osaka is in the KANSAI region of Japan. ;) It's a joke - but you are right, it is kansei dorifto.
The meme XD

Whatever happens, no game development is worthy of existing if the developer doesn't rest from time to time! And yes, I stopped using the JRW 323 for the time being lol

And a good morning, sisters! Please be fine for the upcoming days
Ruhdman_Meow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruhdman_Meow »

Evening!

Some little thoughts I've been having in my mind eversince I saw this GRF:

Is/Will there a separate GRF for the Shinkansens or will it be here too?
Same with the previous question for but other private heavy railways .w.

It's 19:11 now for me, and I've wanted to ask that for a while now, but I oop

Rest well and have fun developing/updating the grf~!
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

Ruhdman_Meow wrote: 18 Aug 2021 11:12 Evening!

Some little thoughts I've been having in my mind eversince I saw this GRF:

Is/Will there a separate GRF for the Shinkansens or will it be here too?
Same with the previous question for but other private heavy railways .w.

It's 19:11 now for me, and I've wanted to ask that for a while now, but I oop

Rest well and have fun developing/updating the grf~!
We have have discussed this a few times. In the future there will hopefully be a JP+MU Private Railways version. There are plenty of private railways we'd like to have. At the moment there is also a different developer working a set of MUs for the private sector as well, which should give your games more colour in the future.

JP+Shinkansens have been talked about as well. Perhaps in the short term you might just see a re-code of the current shinkansens, to allow for coupling of units like the E5 and E6. In the longer term, we hope to re-draw them with longer sprites and create a new set for that as well.

We'd also like to work on JP+Tracks, which would see the electrification split between AC and DC types - giving more meaning to the many different kinds of trains JP+ adds to the game.
[+] Spoiler

Code: Select all

Narrow 80Kmph (Non-Electric)
Narrow Urban 130Kmph (Non-Electric)
Narrow 130Kmph (Non-Electric)
Narrow 160Kmph (Non-Electric)

Narrow Urban 130Kmph (DC Electric)
Narrow 130Kmph (DC Electric)
Narrow 160Kmph (DC Electric)

Narrow Urban 130Kmph (AC Electric)
Narrow 130Kmph (AC Electric)
Narrow 160Kmph (AC Electric)
---------------------------------------
Standard 80Kmph (Non-Electric)
Standard Urban 130Kmph (Non-Electric)
Standard 130Kmph (Non-Electric)
Standard 160Kmph (Non-Electric)

Standard Urban 130Kmph (AC Electric)
Standard 130Kmph (AC Electric)
Standard 160Kmph (AC Electric)

Standard Urban 130Kmph (DC Electric)
Standard 130Kmph (DC Electric)
Standard 160Kmph (DC Electric)
Standard Urban 130Kmph (Third-Rail)
Standard 130Kmph (Third-Rail)
Standard Urban 130Kmph (LinMo)
Standard 130Kmph (LinMo)
Dual-Gauge 130Kmph (Non-Electric)
Dual-Gauge 130Kmph (AC Electric)
All this is future ideas at the moment, with the JP+Tracks and JP+MU Private Railways being more likely that the JP+Shinkansens. For now there is still enough work to be done on the JP+MU and JP+Loco side with what JR trains are left. For example, we've got lots of limited express units to cover - and different types of carraiges to add as well.
Regards,

Return to “Graphics Development”