STGFX Dev Posts

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Slovak Transportation Graphic Set (STGFX)

Post by spajdy »

Hi there,
as may you know, we agreed with Greyfur on co-productions of trams and we did set a scale to follow around trams. Trams are a bit distant future for me right now because there is still a lot of things in buses and trolleybuses I want to get done. And there is this little thing I want to do - trains. Yet, I have to find a balance between everything right now, life and so...

Anyway, thank you for your support guys.

I was not able to draw electric bolts, and Greyfur was that kind he drew it for me. I am very thankful for that.
Greyfur helped me with electric bolts
Greyfur helped me with electric bolts
image_2021-03-22_092327.png (5.4 KiB) Viewed 8751 times
I've released STGFX Trolleybus set B1.00.01 and I got some feedback, so I've incorporated it and I'm ready to publish B1.00.02 with these fixes. It may take a few days as I am waiting if something else will come up with the set, so I can change it.

Back to the agreed tram scale. (I will call it from now on ATS).

I consider it a good scale, so some of the existing vehicles got do-over to ATS, mostly some articulated ones. And even trains will follow this guideline.
ATScale Vehicles Preview
ATScale Vehicles Preview
image_2021-03-22_093358.png (4 KiB) Viewed 8751 times
The attached picture is Enlarged 2x, as you may notice, there are some busses that you can find in the current version and I was considering changing for this release but this would mean I have to delay trolleybuses and buses. I made a decision, it will be added later, as the packs will progress.
Also, I will show you one tram, Tatra K2, that will be put to the testing because I still have crazy ideas about how it can works.

And please don't get to excited about next picture, as this will take a very long time to get finished.
Trains
Trains
image_2021-03-22_094235.png (6.2 KiB) Viewed 8751 times
Okay, thank you again, and I'll keep you posted.
I know, it is a bit of a stretch for now, but I am really enjoying drawing them and we did not have a train here for a very long time, so here you have a peek.
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

You can find what I am planning next, or doing right now right in my developer diary.
Slovakia | lang : slovak | english

SLOVAK DISCORD SERVER I (and others Slovak and Czech creators) write there in Slovak about what I (ot they are) am planning. This invitation is valid for 100 users.
It is alive and well. :)
perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by perverted monkey »

And please don't get to excited about next picture...
Sorry, but I think we have already failed on this! :lol:
Actually we are to thank you.
spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by spajdy »

Hello everyone,

due to complications, I had with a computer, I took a day or two of doing anything helpful. The thing is my notebook is kinda old and as it seems he had his best days counted. It works for now, but the sooner I get on a new one sooner I got to do more amazing stuff. Pray for my computer, so it will live till I got a new one, because due to "current situation in the world" reasons it is unlikely I'll get myself a new one anytime soon.

Anyway, today I started slowly picking up where I left.
image_2021-03-29_002059.png
image_2021-03-29_002059.png (67.53 KiB) Viewed 8591 times
Some the vehicles have this already, some don't it is a bit chaotic, but this is a new approach, recommended by Andrew who created the NightGFX replacement set.
This is Škoda 31Tr SOR on a new scale. There was not much of this type of trolleybus so I am gonna try the night version for every livery it had. That should not be problematic.

Anyway, I've noticed some issues with t/buses.

Škoda 25Tr DG in some cases does not open doors on the second part, which is not wanted, it should open every door. Please, report any problematic sprite of 25Tr DG (or any other thing, please.) Thank you.

Buses have offset set wrongly, for the first part, and I am quite not sure how that happened, because it was alright, but it is not anymore. Something is messed up in the code, probably the template.

Due to this fact, which annoys me, I am gonna pull one more unplanned update for buses, that will just solve this issue and I will probably phone mode, as on Android version of the game can not be used custom glyphs, which is sad really. I wrote an e-mail to the guy who created the android version, but so far I got no answer. Phone mode is used on STGFX Trolleybuses B1.00.02 where after switching it on you got classical text instead of glyphs in the purchase menu.

Unplanned update for buses means, there will be no new vehicles, only fixes. Which I am not fun of, but if I would want to add more to it, that would take a lot of time to do. And honestly, I am kind of lazy a few last days.

I don't want to brag about the current situation, but.. man, it's bad. This game and grfs hold me afloat.

In my place:
Would you release anupdate only with fixes, or would you make others wait for new content?
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

You can find what I am planning next, or doing right now right in my developer diary.

SLOVAK DISCORD SERVER I (and others Slovak and Czech creators) write there in Slovak about what I (ot they are) am planning. This invitation is valid for 100 users.
perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by perverted monkey »

IMO first priority is bug fixing. But as long as the bugs do not ruin the game no need to hurry to release an update.
spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by spajdy »

perverted monkey wrote: 29 Mar 2021 03:34 IMO first priority is bug fixing. But as long as the bugs do not ruin the game no need to hurry to release an update.
They really don't, at least on the computers.
On Android, you don't see Powered by icons. That is quite broken, but it is the game that is bugged.

I am really not sure about this, but it would be probably better to start working on the next step and fixing issues as I am going through it. That way players got more buses, more liveries, and bug fixies in one go.
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

PEPSprinterPacer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PEPSprinterPacer »

spajdy wrote: 29 Mar 2021 18:47
On Android, you don't see Powered by icons. That is quite broken, but it is the game that is bugged.

as an Android player I can say it doesn't show 'glyphs ' but rather coloured question marks.

(Suggestion that phone more should be renamed phone/tablet mode :mrgreen: )
Only ever been on 2 185's and 144 023!
viewtopic.php?t=87546 a screenshot thread of mobile pictures!
spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by spajdy »

PEPSprinterPacer wrote: 31 Mar 2021 19:05
spajdy wrote: 29 Mar 2021 18:47 (Suggestion that phone more should be renamed phone/tablet mode :mrgreen: )
It will be renamed due to the fact even if not Latin font is used the result is the same. color questionmarks.

For now, I am not sure what it will be called, but most probably it will be called "glyphs", but if you have any other ideas, I am open to suggestions.
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by spajdy »

This is gonna be long, so let's begin.

First of all, I want to thank all who did find bugs, who showed support and excitement for what I am doing. It is very helpful and motivating, so yeah, thanks.
And now everything other.

My original plan for this year was to get trolleybuses together to non-beta version "ONE". And yes, I am still hoping, I will be able to put this to the finished version, but as I could see while updating the bus set, I owe it a better treatment. Why? Because right now they are made chaotic, not future-proofed and with every new update they will have issues I am aware of. And I have to say, I did put more bugs with a small update last time - the offset of the vehicles is crazy. Yet, to be told, glyphs are getting on my nerves, because I did not count on troubleshooting them. The thing is if game Latin font is not used, glyphs got disabled, so there is probably nothing I can do to make them work properly, so I am really considering switching to text versions, but man, I don't like it. But making extra steps to make parameter settings that will switch them is kind of... crazy and will take some time, but it is doable.

Why there is no Solaris, Troliga, and Tedom despite graphic files exists? Well, that is the issue I want to talk about, I did not know, how big this pack will get in the begging, and adding stuff slowly is not a good way to do this. It would mess Engine IDs and I don't want that. So, the next update will mess everything. I am sorry, but it has to. I want to make it smart and future-proofed, so I am gonna put a lot of code for vehicles that are planned into it. That means I am gonna totally mess up Engine IDs and orders of vehicles in purchase menus. You will probably get a lot of game buses after getting this update and I am sorry for it.

But after this step, when everything will be ready I can update anytime, without any issues and whatever I want, because it will be mostly adding small parts to the existing code.

Right now, I am doing research mostly and planning, so I can do the code and graphics. The last days I spend on SOR buses and that was kind of crazy, as there is not a lot of information about them on the internet. Today I wrote down 111 entries for Crossways. (Types, subtypes, liveries, etc.) And that is a lot. There still can be some tidying up so there may not be all of them in the final file. Or there can be more. And I suddenly remembered I forgot to put one livery so... 112 entries.

I am sorry, but you gotta be patient right now, as this is a freaking lot to do.

And there are some graphic issues, like the wrong color of SOR NB 12/18 of DPMK, and more, so some of them are going to be replaced with new sprites and I hope this time, it will be better.

Parameters need to be unified with the trolleybus set. So, current non-functional placeholders for this will be replaced by:
Liveries, eGFX, PhoneMode (this will be probably named Glyphs), Liveries by year.
and some small changes.

SO, THERE WILL NOT BE SMALL UPDATE TO FIX CURRENT ISSUES, as it is waste of time, if I would need to redo it anyway.

So what about trolleybuses?
Gladly, they have partial future-proofing, which is nice. I hope I got back to them asap.

Other things?
Trucks are canceled from my side, there will be no STGFX Trucks, as Greyfur already started doing nice graphics for it, there is no point in doing it twice Maybe I can help him with it.
Trams will be done in co-production with Greyfur, but you know that.
and I am gonna be quiet on anything else.

So, please be patient, be happy and enjoy yourself. :) I am gonna return to the researching and planning, so ... have a nice time. Thank you for your support.
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gebik »

spajdy wrote: 06 Oct 2020 20:17
  • STGFX Train Set BETA B1.00.02 available in-game (B1.00.03 in production)
  • STGFX Trolley Set currently in production
Hi, spajdy, did you accidentally switch availability of trolleybus and train sets here? In-game are buses and trolleybuses, while according to this, there should be buses and trains. Also, you are posting teasers to trains, which are in development, according to you, while you released beta of trolleybuses. So, I think, that some small mistake got in.
Are you an eye candy player? Check out Invisible engine set! viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88934
You can write to me in English, or Czech. Můžete mi psát česky nebo anglicky.

Formerly known as MLG.
spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by spajdy »

MLG wrote: 02 Apr 2021 07:31 Hi, spajdy, did you accidentally switch availability of trolleybus and train sets here?
Yeah sorry, it got confused a little bit. There is a lot of stuff. Thx.
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by spajdy »

Hello OpenTTD World!

I had to take few days off from doing grf, becasue it was a bit overwhelming.

I want to thank you for your amazing support over trolleybus set! It is really nice of you! So far I've started testing sounds of trolleybuses and some effects on them, becasue it looks just nice. But mostly, I've started correcting some stuff around buses, that I've already said. It goes slow... as I am changing Karosa B731/732/732CNG subtype menus due to parameters and stuff. It is real pain in the... something.

I've tried to do translations at the same time to english, slovak and czech, but I am not exactlly commited to this, and yeah I've tried to keep up hungarian, german and polish as well... but I am not that crazy probably, so as of now I am switching to only english / slovak for updates. And let's say, translate updates will be later, okay? When it will work exactlly as inteded. :)

This is my developer diary record from 18-apr-21.
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by spajdy »

Hi OpenTTD players,

I know, I haven't written there for some time. You know I have life, and I've mostly written in Discord, so let's get you on board with what is new.

I had some plan to update buses and trolleybuses these years, however, buses are pain in the ... you know where and I decided that update will be ready when it will be ready, so don't expect it anytime soon.

On other hand, I planned a smaller update for trolleybuses due to the fact I knew that buses will be a lot of work. So I tried to look into them, and it seems good, maybe it will be sooner than I expected. (I expected around August). Anyway, there are few questions about it.

When I played with trolleybuses there come years when there are no more trolleybuses made, and I have nice infrastructure made. I will add a parameter setting that will allow the last introduced vehicle to build forever. Yeah, I know you can allow all vehicles to build forever in-game settings, but I don't like the "overcrowded" purchase menu, okay?

There is one other thing that bugged me, and that is LCD panels - green or orange is good, but sometimes I feel like I want all my vehicles to have the same colour of LEDs. So again, I will add parameter there for exactly this - I hope for every vehicle that has an LCD panel. Options will be; Orange, Green and RGB, where Company Colour will be the route number.

Do you think it is something, you want to see in trolleybuses?

Anyway, as I said, buses will be ready, when they will be ready, I will inform you of how it is going in the near future.

Anyway, I've decided that from the new year I am gonna fully focus on trains. Currently, I am deciding some strategy of how to deliver these as this will be really something, even for me. What I am considering is to have one big file that will be final, but at the same time I am gonna have packed for each vehicle separately as there is going to be much more stuff than in trolleybuses and buses. So, if I am going to do this there will be a chance I am gonna release "preview builds" here, for you to test, before actually making them part of the final file.

In the first stages there will be probably these trains:
ZSSK 861 and 861.1
ZSSK 671+071+971
ZSSK 951, 051 and probably ZSSK 381

While push-pull 381+051+051+951 I've started thinking about how to deliver these because as far as I know, you can attach 051 to a normal train at a will. But if it is PushPull it can be always 2x 051 and 951, otherwise, it won't work. And I would love to work as push-pull as seen in my DB Push-pull set, but at the moment it is hard to tell if everything will be as I want it. But this should be first trains that will be shown to the public.

But back to trolleybuses.
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

adpro
Engineer
Engineer

Post by adpro »

Hello. Will the code be available under an open source license?
You published only grf files and you have own license (closed source?) on bananas.
adpro | NewGRF Military Items project
gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gebik »

dares wrote: 14 Jul 2021 06:32 Hello. Will the code be available under an open source license?
You published only grf files and you have own license (closed source?) on bananas.
You can wait until it is finished, it will then probably become open source.
For what purpose do you want the code? If it is studying in order to learn something new, I think he will tell you how it is done there. He is not somebody greedy or bad, he's actually quite nice to other people, at least what I know and been up to... For example I made before some time a test livery for one of his future vehicles and he was very friendly in the process. If you wanna make a change in code, feel free to suggest it him, he clearly says he does not want people making change forks yet, because it has not all planned stuff. :D
By the way, he is not very active here on forums, if you have Discord and join his server, you can contact him via Discord. He is more active there.
Are you an eye candy player? Check out Invisible engine set! viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88934
You can write to me in English, or Czech. Můžete mi psát česky nebo anglicky.

Formerly known as MLG.
spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by spajdy »

dares wrote: 14 Jul 2021 06:32 Hello. Will the code be available under an open source license?
It is closed as it is unfinished, may be unstable and a lot of times I am trying things, that should not work ... and there were casese where game crashed multiple times.
So decision to make it closed were made as a safety measure, so nobody lose their savegames trying to rip it up as I did few times.
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

I respect your decision but tbh I'd assume anybody who grabs the sourcecode for a NewGRF from Github and compiles it themselves should know what they're doing, and that it might be unfinished and crash.
spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by spajdy »

Taschi wrote: 14 Jul 2021 17:58 I respect your decision but tbh I'd assume anybody who grabs the sourcecode for a NewGRF from Github and compiles it themselves should know what they're doing, and that it might be unfinished and crash.
Well, a lot of people would love to learn from that, and I've seen people who had trouble compiling source codes... I don't trust people enough I guess?
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

adpro
Engineer
Engineer

Post by adpro »

spajdy wrote: 14 Jul 2021 16:37
It is closed as it is unfinished, may be unstable and a lot of times I am trying things, that should not work ... and there were casese where game crashed multiple times.
So decision to make it closed were made as a safety measure, so nobody lose their savegames trying to rip it up as I did few times.
Thank you for your response. I think that open source code has many benefits like help with bugs identification and resolving, but if your decision is to be the only one who can see and write code until release, I respect that.
I was interested in a sample from the set on first page, where in the cargo subtype text of the vehicle is part of the text with a graphic icon for fuel (eg. B732 CNG Košice), which is not a default icon that can be used. Can you tell me how you implement this?
Snímek obrazovky 2021-08-12 v 7.58.39.png
Snímek obrazovky 2021-08-12 v 7.58.39.png (48.59 KiB) Viewed 7352 times
adpro | NewGRF Military Items project
spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by spajdy »

dares wrote: 11 Aug 2021 08:31 Thank you for your response. I think that open source code has many benefits like help with bugs identification and resolving, but if your decision is to be the only one who can see and write code until release, I respect that.
I was interested in a sample from the set on first page, where in the cargo subtype text of the vehicle is part of the text with a graphic icon for fuel (eg. B732 CNG Košice), which is not a default icon that can be used. Can you tell me how you implement this?
Snímek obrazovky 2021-08-12 v 7.58.39.png
Hi, this is in fact only a custom glyph. This is basically everything you are looking for: https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/N ... ont_glyphs
And I don't recommend using it as of Android version of the game is not able to use it, if game is running in Russian language - any language that does not use the Latin alphabet. Then it is replaced by question marks.
I like it this way, but I've to add extra strings for people who are not able to see those.
And you can also use 32bit alternate sprites for more colours if you really want, I can send you this piece of code, so you can play with it.
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by spajdy »

This will be short.

STGFX Trolleybuses new small update will be released on 19th September.

Only few types of vehicles will be delivered.
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

Return to “Graphics Development”