Fridaemon's Objects 6: August 26th, 2022

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

bassem.90
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Fridaemon's Objects 3.1: May 11th (beta)

Post by bassem.90 »

fridaemon wrote: 08 Jun 2021 07:09
Quast65 wrote: 06 Jun 2021 09:31
Thank you :))
trexxet wrote: 06 Jun 2021 11:10 Finally some good soviet houses! Any plans for khrushchyovkas (series K-7, 1-447, 1-335)?
I'd like to create few old ones, in this style too ;)
bassem.90 wrote: 07 Jun 2021 13:31
I don't have plan for airport objects. Maybe 1-2 airport terminals in to-do list. But not for these days.
I chose Airposts & Planes theme for Newgrf competiton, so I hope that someone draw few objects :)

to turkish buildings - During next winter I'd like to start draw building set for subtropical game. Inspiration comes from Sri Lanka, Egypt, Turkey. And for modern age I'd like to have glasses skyscrapers. I miss building set for this landscape. Hope that I'll find someone who can help me with drawing and maybe coding.
Best of luck
Fredinho
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fredinho »

fridaemon wrote: 08 Jun 2021 08:16
Fredinho wrote: 08 Jun 2021 07:25
Sometimes I play subtropical game and I'm enjoying it. I'm happy about new landscape creating options - to set percentage of afforestation and desert =) so after this game I'm gonna move my attention to this.

I'd like to finish Fridaemon's Objects in the start of fall. After this I promised to create few new buildings into NARS building set. And in december/January I'll start with this new project. I hope it goes according to plan.

And you have 6 months to learn drawing :lol:
Subtropical is just so much more beautiful :P I usually play in the early 1900s though, and boy, am I getting tired of that one skyscraper that keeps popping up everywhere.

As for drawing, can I do it just using Paint, as long as I have a template for the isometric view?
fridaemon
Director
Director

Re: Fridaemon's Objects

Post by fridaemon »

fridaemon wrote: 17 Feb 2021 21:07
Hi yazalo ;) R U here?
what do you think about this flat roofed Biedronka? curved roof comes soon. I don't like Biedronka colours but I promised that :D
wtBe0eV - Imgur.png
wtBe0eV - Imgur.png (34.25 KiB) Viewed 4099 times
Or this more dark version?

What anyone thinks?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Beach Objects * Shopping Centres * Skyscrapers * Garage Entrances
Modular Warehouses * Trucks & Buses Parking Lots * Bus Depots * Bus Terminals
Road Waypoints * Road Stops * Eyecandy Objects * Building Set

Winner of the Screenshot of 09/20, 11/20, 02/21, 06/21, 07/21, 05/22 and 06/22.:twisted:
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

Both seem alright, although I prefer the darker one
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by perverted monkey »

Me too, but I'll take both! :lol:
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I agree with this:
Both seem alright, although I prefer the darker one
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

Fredinho wrote: 08 Jun 2021 15:32 As for drawing, can I do it just using Paint, as long as I have a template for the isometric view?
Not sure. I need grid for drawing and it'S not in Paint. GIMP is freeware and I use Photoshop CS for it.

U R right, this one skyscraper everywhere is terrible. I miss this one in game:
skb.png
skb.png (207.71 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
I stole it from original TTD and add snow roof for arctic landscape. But I really miss it.

Thanks to everyone with Biedronka issue :D darker roof won!

Winner of the Screenshot of 09/20, 11/20, 02/21, 06/21, 07/21, 05/22 and 06/22.:twisted:
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

I like your work.
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
Lt_Joker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lt_Joker »

This might be a stupid question but it's just something I've noticed so I thought I'd ask about it:

Is there a reason nobody is doing actual town sets with these? I've seen a lot of development of house graphics done by various people. Skyscrapers, shops, parking lots, parks, all sorts of buildings and landmarks... however none of these are actual houses anywhere. It seems the biggest and most usable sets (if you don't count the very region specific North Korean town set) seem to be still the swedish (also kind of specific) and the total town replacement set still. Yet I've seen tons of nice buildings in screenshots and existing NewGrfs... the skyscapers set, tons of town building newobject sets...

Is it that difficult to create housing sets to let towns build these or why do people not do it? I'm not even expecting the graphics artists to do it, I know creating a newobject is easier and probably just involves making the sprite and some basic code... but I'm surprised nobody that is more familiar with the code side as ever tried to turn all this good stuff into proper town sets. It seems there's been some development again on the NewGRF side recently.. some more vehicles sets, industry etc... but somehow almost nobody is doing town sets... I would somehow assume that an industry set is way more difficult to create than a town set isn't it? Is there some reason I'm not aware of that people seem uninterested in town sets?
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

Lt_Joker wrote: 22 Jun 2021 01:05
Hi man ;)

I have to agree with you. There are limited newgrfs with town sets. I don't know how others, but I started with objects because I had good teacher for that and I don't know where to start. And firstly I hadn't an idea that I'll do more buildings. The 2nd thing is using these objects with different town sets. And 3rd thing is thatthere are previous construction stages which you have to draw and it's more difficult (with time).

Hope I have good news for you! I writed post about it week ago but I deleted it after few hours (I didn't wanted to be under pressure with questions when it'll come :D )
Aegir came with an idea to expand his previously released set of North American Building set. I agreed but later I came with idea to bring brandly new building set. But only for subtropical landscape. There is no set for it (except original one). Of course buildings come with object set and you can use them everywhere.

I will draw inspiration from the Canary Islands, Egypt, Turkey, Sri Lanka, for later age I plan to draw skyscrappers too (because they belongs to subtropical landscape). Keep your fingers crossed ;)
Me, Aegir and another one secret person we weill start with this set in the fall / winter. ;)

michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Lt_Joker wrote: [Why aren't there more house sets?]
General problem with a house set is that it had to represent a quite large time span, probably from the 1700s into the very near "future".

Second problem is that it should represent a large amount of diversity, far more than an industry set usually offers.

In addition, it should be more than just a mass of different buildings. It needs structure and an inherent development. Including town diversity, spatial agglomeration, town industries, etc.

In short: it's neither the graphics nor the code which requires the main work, but it needs a good plan to start with.

regards
Michael
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

In recent days I worked on bus eyecandy depots.
Attachments
unknown (4).png
unknown (4).png (83.8 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
iiNEo3E - Imgur.png
iiNEo3E - Imgur.png (122.06 KiB) Viewed 3268 times

dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

fridaemon wrote: 03 Jul 2021 20:29 In recent days I worked on bus eyecandy depots.
They look nice
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by perverted monkey »

:bow:
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

Hey Fridaemon,

I know you changed your object category names relatively recently. I'm here to ask you to reverse that change somewhat. Allow me to explain.

I'm on an eyecandy heavy server, so we make extensive use of your amazing objects, but also of many other object sets. Because of this we have so many object classes that adding a new NewGRF puts all objects in the topmost category. Now what this also means is that there's a lot of scrolling to find the right object category. Now I'm not sure if this is in the basegame too, but in JGR there's a search bar to allow you to search specific categories. This is fairly new, and it allows me to easily find what I'm looking for; I can get most greenery objects by typing in "Park" for instance. Also if I know the object I want is in Marico or City Objects I can simply type "MC" or "CO". I find this a really useful feature and an important quality of life thing.

So I'm wondering if you could add "Fridaemon:", "FO:" or something similar to the start of your category titles, so they're easier to find when I'm looking for something, and I know they're in here, but I don't exactly remember the name of the category.

Thanks in advance.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

Erato wrote: 02 Aug 2021 21:28
Hi Erato,

Good idea. I did some changes in menu with adding new objects, so I changed it again and it's really practical. I use search bar all the time since it was added. so I will appreciate it too. With an update in September, new menu will come to you :mrgreen:
Attachments
fomenu.png
fomenu.png (4.85 KiB) Viewed 2893 times

gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

I would like to add that different dates of entry into the category of objects are pointless, for me it is burdensome because if I want to improve a certain business layout I have to use ctrrl + alt + C which is extremely onerous. GarryG example does not apply any restrictions
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

gravelpit wrote: 03 Aug 2021 17:23
Funny :D Few days ago I removed E V E R Y W H E R E these restrictions. So no years limit in next update ;)

and omfg, I forgot about you :rolleyes: very sorry. I'll try to write some instructions for you tomorrow. :roll:

fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

Coca Cola Warehouse:
GX8XuCg.png
GX8XuCg.png (149.31 KiB) Viewed 2693 times

I have question about license: I found picture in my folder (10 years old or more) in my computer. And I'd like to use one object from here. Only one thing, everything else will be mine. I tried to find out where the picture came from (I used google with picture searching). And it's CAPITALISM 2 from 2001. I don't know this game, but I hope that 20 years after releasing I'm not going to the jail. :) I put credits to readme file, is it ok?
Last edited by fridaemon on 05 Aug 2021 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Legally? No, unless you have permission from the copyright holder. Well, I doubt you'd go to jail but you could get a cease & desist letter.

Practically, it depends on how much the copyright holder cares.

Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Return to “Graphics Development”