AXIS - Another eXtreme Industry Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: XIS - Extreme Industry Set

Post by Gadg8eer »

Andrew350 wrote: 24 Nov 2020 02:18
Gadg8eer wrote: 24 Nov 2020 00:29 Can't you just splice the stuff I modified into XIS and see if it runs?
Emperor Jake literally just wrote: 23 Nov 2020 12:27 I can't just splice NML into XIS's python code.
I mean, seriously... :lol:

Gadg8teer: you really should slow down and try to pay more attention; it makes it much easier to absorb information and not come to wild conclusions. For example, Emperor Jake never said anything about vehicles... :wink:

This seems to be a common trend with you, so I'm hoping you might take this advice to heart and just try a bit harder to really understand things :) You may even find it easier to understand code yourself if you just take more time to absorb the information presented to you, instead of immediately giving up and waiting on others to do it for you :)
Excuse me? I mean, I get why you're assuming that, but I never said to splice it into python code, I meant splice it into the generated NML that he mentioned, and which I delved into to provide the files I posted.
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Gadg8eer wrote: 24 Nov 2020 02:53 Excuse me? I mean, I get why you're assuming that, but I never said to splice it into python code, I meant splice it into the generated NML that he mentioned, and which I delved into to provide the files I posted.
He's not messing with the generated NML, though, he's only working in Python.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

andythenorth wrote: 23 Nov 2020 13:47 Are you thinking of porting to FIRS 4 code?
Yes, the plan was to eventually do a rework of the whole project using FIRS 4 as a base, which would let me use the increased inputs and outputs and make the economy that much more convoluted :twisted: Not for a long while though, so this will have to do in the meantime.

Gadg8eer wrote: 24 Nov 2020 00:29 Can't you just splice the stuff I modified into XIS and see if it runs?
Look, I'm glad to help where I can and listen to suggestions, but that's a lot of work and you're basically asking me to code your projects for you. I'm pretty busy and I don't get that much time to work on the things I want to make so that'll just end up at the bottom of a very long to-do list :)

If you want more insights on the generated NML you might want to talk to GarryG, as he coded AuzInd that way and combined it with code from other sets like SPI.
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

Emperor Jake wrote: 24 Nov 2020 11:49
Look, I'm glad to help where I can and listen to suggestions, but that's a lot of work and you're basically asking me to code your projects for you. I'm pretty busy and I don't get that much time to work on the things I want to make so that'll just end up at the bottom of a very long to-do list :)

If you want more insights on the generated NML you might want to talk to GarryG, as he coded AuzInd that way and combined it with code from other sets like SPI.
Alright, fair enough. Thanks for the advice and sorry to bother you.
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
Maddog45353
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maddog45353 »

can you add coffee and maybe some others that aren't in there too?
LoneBlackWolf
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Maddog45353 wrote: 25 Nov 2020 04:06 can you add coffee and maybe some others that aren't in there too?
Yep, as I said before coffee will make a comeback in the tropical economy. However adding many more isn't an option as XIS currently uses 62 out of the maximum of 64 cargos :wink:
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Is source linked at first page suitable for actual version?
I want to adjust my newgrfs to be able to transport xis stuff, I see aluminium, biomass etc but I don't see their literals in cargo table...
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

McZapkie wrote: 26 Nov 2020 00:45 Is source linked at first page suitable for actual version?
I want to adjust my newgrfs to be able to transport xis stuff, I see aluminium, biomass etc but I don't see their literals in cargo table...
The source is for 0.6.0, nothing has changed in 0.6.1 except a few more industries are placeable on desert. I can provide 0.6.1 source if required.

Regarding the cargotable, it might be a little confusing because I didn't make any new cargolabels but only recycled ones already in FIRS. For example:

Biomass = PEAT
Aluminium = METL
Oil sands = PHOS
Lithium = KAOL

Therefore, any NewGRF which supports all FIRS 3 economies also fully supports XIS :wink:
Maddog45353
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maddog45353 »

:( well im sure gonna miss that cargo being with a huge list of other cargos maybe make a preset with it and without it. either way great job glad someone did this to have A LOT of cargos maybe one day we'll get a version update for more cargo type limit of like 128 :P either way like i said well done. :bow:
LoneBlackWolf
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Oof those cargo labels. :D

When you have some time, you'll want to pay a dollar into the swearbox for those.

I had to learn the hard way too. :twisted:

One day I'll post a picture of the mug I had printed.

It says: "re-using cargo labels...seemed like a good idea at the time".
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

andythenorth wrote: 26 Nov 2020 07:06 Oof those cargo labels.
Yeah I know, it wasn't meant to be a permanent solution. (you don't want to see what I did with the industries, the manufacturing plant is still a vineyard internally for instance) I did try to do it properly at first but for some reason the compiler refused to recognise any additional files I added to the code. So when time comes for a rewrite expect me to pester you for help :P
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Emperor Jake wrote: 26 Nov 2020 01:21 Biomass = PEAT
Aluminium = METL
Oil sands = PHOS
Lithium = KAOL
Ach, yes! The override.

I was wondering why aluminium is using custom cars as it should be, when I didn't defined it.

BTW, is lithium transported in real world? In metallic form? Sound like fused atomic bomb for me.
Maybe lithium salts would be better?
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Amak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Amak »

Emperor Jake wrote: 26 Nov 2020 01:21 The source is for 0.6.0, nothing has changed in 0.6.1 except a few more industries are placeable on desert. I can provide 0.6.1 source if required.
I would very much appreciate the new source especially if you've cleaned up the working folder as there is almost 500mb of grf stuff in "xis-0.6.0-source\his\generated\Link to newgrf" which is confusing to an amateur like me trying to disable hotels and recompile.

Do you compile under windows? I have been trying to compile first but having trouble getting the make command to work all which ways (so far tried cmake with visual studio, then installed cygwin and Pillow is saying it has librarys but running make fails on PIL command) any help is appreciated. I notice you have grfcodec.exe so perhaps you edit the nml files and recompile that way maybe?
Oakman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Oakman »

First of all, thanks for the great work!

Yet I encountered one problem with the cargo "Acid".

It is produced correctly, picked up correctly, transported correctly, dropped of correctly and received correctly (the receiving factory "recognizes" that acid has arrived and processes it as designed) - the only problem is, that the transport isn't paid at all. No positive income, no negative income, nothing. It seems that the calculation of the payment just isn't triggered at all. This happens with multiple transportation types (tried rail and road).

Is it possible that there is a connection with the two "undefined cargos" in the screenshot below?
OTT.png
(2.9 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

If you have "undefined cargos" then some other GRF is adding those and causing conflicts. Can I see your GRF list?
Oakman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Oakman »

Emperor Jake wrote: 10 Dec 2020 16:02 If you have "undefined cargos" then some other GRF is adding those and causing conflicts. Can I see your GRF list?
Great! I tried a bit and it was the "Ratings" GRF which caused the problem. Even better, it seems that the savegame survived the removal of the GRF.
Again, thanks a lot for the GRF and the quit help.

P.S.
If I might make a proposal for the next version of XIS I would suggest adding an option which allows that the player funds new industries but forbids the AI to do so – right now, sandbox-player like me have to constantly switch the “Prevent industries openings during gameplay” option on and off.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Oakman wrote: 10 Dec 2020 16:41 Great! I tried a bit and it was the "Ratings" GRF which caused the problem. Even better, it seems that the savegame survived the removal of the GRF.
Again, thanks a lot for the GRF and the quit help.
Was this the Ratings GRF posted on this thread by Tintinfan? That should work specifically with XIS, if there's a problem with it I can look into it. I know the original Ratings GRF caused the invalid cargo problem, that's why Tintinfan created the modified version.
Oakman wrote: 10 Dec 2020 16:41 If I might make a proposal for the next version of XIS I would suggest adding an option which allows that the player funds new industries but forbids the AI to do so – right now, sandbox-player like me have to constantly switch the “Prevent industries openings during gameplay” option on and off.
That's not necessary, simply go to Settings/World generation and set industry density to "funding only" :wink:
Oakman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Oakman »

Emperor Jake wrote: 11 Dec 2020 03:41 Was this the Ratings GRF posted on this thread by Tintinfan? That should work specifically with XIS, if there's a problem with it I can look into it. I know the original Ratings GRF caused the invalid cargo problem, that's why Tintinfan created the modified version.
It was that one: viewtopic.php?p=1169324#p1169324
Emperor Jake wrote: 11 Dec 2020 03:41 That's not necessary, simply go to Settings/World generation and set industry density to "funding only" :wink:
That's a bit embarrassing for me 8) . Nevertheless, again, thanks a lot!
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Emperor Jake wrote: 11 Dec 2020 03:41 That's not necessary, simply go to Settings/World generation and set industry density to "funding only" :wink:
Well, I support asking for options to disable automatic generation of industry during game, while enable it by player/GS.
Firs lacked such option (either enabled or totally disabled), while ECS has such setting.

The reason why game setting 'funding only' might not work well is that maybe other minor industry sets should be able to work and spawn its industries.
For example, I'm using "logging camp" newgrf, which is intended to spawn new forester camps, cut all trees around and die.
Another example is GS which spawn industries where they should be, instead of random ones.

Thus intermediate industry generation option between "no" and "all" would be very welcome :)
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

On the topic of industry generation, Improved Town Industries has a neat feature where you can make it so only Primary Industries generate naturally. Could XIS get something similar, where only primary industries generate at the start of the game, and all other industry either appears naturally over time, or has to be funded by the player?

Return to “Graphics Development”