Timberwolf's UK.... trains?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Timberwolf's UK.... trains?

Post by Fairyfloss »

Gonna be playing around with this later, but I'm curious. What do you have in mind for the future of this set? Anything in particular you'd like to add next, or just more trains from all over history? Or do you have something else entirely in mind?
PEPSprinterPacer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PEPSprinterPacer »

[+] Spoiler
is that Easter egg the Cycloped?
Only ever been on 2 185's and 144 023!
viewtopic.php?t=87546 a screenshot thread of mobile pictures!
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Well, anything that's an Easter egg would of course be missing from the announcement image ;)

The next block of things to add is London Underground, the various subsurface and deep-level units plus perhaps an Tube-related oddity or two like a battery locomotive. Then there are some prototypes and unusual things I'd like to sprinkle in, such as the Brush Kestrel and some of the more out-there designs the GER came up with in the mid 19th century.

At that point I will probably take a break :) - although I do have some desire for a supplementary narrow gauge set eventually, the tracks are already there and it just needs the locomotives.
Electricfox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Electricfox »

Now we're talking.

Fantastic stuff Timberwolf, thank you very much. :D
PEPSprinterPacer
Engineer
Engineer

:shock: the London mainly-Overground but we called it a underground, weird

Can't wait! :mrgreen:
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Andy's Jubilee comparison spawned a discussion that the Stanier Jubilee and related locomotives in this set were insufficiently muscular - their boilers did not taper, their fireboxes hunched apologetically, they gave off the worrisome impression that they might wrestle poodles and... lose.

But no more! Without too much tiresome exercise or unpleasant bending, the Jubilee has been made purposeful and tough. Meanwhile in a fit of expediency, the old model has been told to put on some smoke deflectors and pretend to be a Patriot class:

Version 1.1.1 is now available on the fruit stand.
Electricfox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Electricfox »

How's the sound effects plan going?
PEPSprinterPacer
Engineer
Engineer

Wrestle a Poodle and lose 😂 :shock: :lol:
Limyx826
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Limyx826 »

Is it possible to differentiate the vehicles like how 2cc Trains In NML did, so that it is easier to know which is non-electric or electric without refer to the details?

Here's is my train list for visual:
Attachments
Annotation 2020-08-31 224350.png
(62.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I am Limyx826.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

The six-wheel carriage is described as "moother and faster" in the flavour text, I suppose there's an s missing?
President
President

Post by WWW »

Loving the set. I've managed to get it building locally but temporarily late is (I'm guessing) still a private repo on GitHub. Any chance of making that public?

Cards on the table: I'm thinking about making a fork, to make some uhhh, changes of my own desire. (HST DVT, for instance... Oh and a formation refit for some of the multiple units...)
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Oops - Temporarily Late was private because it started out as one of those simple tools to do a job I thought was one time only (helping me figure out how templates work) and then it turned out to be Useful. I forgot to make it a public shame rather than a guilty secret, should now be available for the masses.

Other stuff is a "when I get to it", I've had a busy few weeks and then all I wanted to do for the long weekend was decompress and play old adventure games. I expect I'll add some iconography to the purchase sprites for steam/diesel/various electrical powers rather than lengthen some of the already-long names, and spelling mistakes can be dealt with along the way. Sounds-wise I'm still mulling sound design, I'll want to play around with a few ideas to see what I like best.

If you can come up with a way to handle the refits that would correctly reflect the difference in purchase price between (say) a 2 car and 3 car Express Sprinter (i.e. you get a refund for turning a 3 car into a 2 car, and pay for extending it), I'd be interested in folding that back into the main set, it's one of the things I deferred as too much work for too little (personal) benefit. Would need careful switchery to avoid players getting more money than they should shortening old, depreciated units though - if that's even possible. There doesn't seem to be a variable for current vehicle value that I can see, so you'd have to emulate the depreciation calculation using `age_in_days` unless I'm missing something...
Electricfox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Electricfox »

That's cool Timberwolf, you need to take some time to decompress now and then, we've been enjoying this awesome set. :D
President
President

Post by WWW »

There's a variable in newgrf_engine.cpp that has the vehicle value bound to it. I'm not convinced it's supported by nmlc.

I'm guessing it will need to go in here somewhere, as 0xDD, but that's where my current knowledge of nmlc ends.

I'll have a nose around. I can't say for sure if it's easy or difficult yet because it has been a startlingly long time since I was elbow-deep in OpenTTD... least of all OpenTTD tooling. I'll see where the mood takes me when I get a bit of free time to have a stab. Thanks again.

Edit, passing thought. Unless, of course, there's some way to get a hold of these variables with NML syntax already, without them needing to be named in nmlc. I suspect I'll get the fastest answers by suggesting the wrong solution though :)
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Timberwolf wrote: 01 Sep 2020 20:03 Other stuff is a "when I get to it", I've had a busy few weeks and then all I wanted to do for the long weekend was decompress and play old adventure games.
Sure, take your time. It's a lovely set as it is and I will manage to live with a funny typo in it for a couple of weeks.
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

PEPSprinterPacer wrote: 24 Aug 2020 10:34 :shock: the London mainly-Overground but we called it a underground, weird

Can't wait! :mrgreen:
Well we wouldn't want to confuse it with the also-mainly-overground-but-sometimes-underground London Overground, would we?
Jon
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Another brake on progress is I got kind of... distracted along the way:

Learning NFO has been a gradual but surprisingly consistent process. I'm still figuring out how to do some of the more interesting stuff like objects over the track and the more advanced layouts for double track station halls, intelligent buffer stops and the like, but it's all moving along if somewhat more slowly than drawing trains. I fear we're deep into "scratching personal itches" territory but maybe there's a world in which more than one person wants 2x stations in a style that is almost but not quite compatible with the Simon Foster originals.

(If anyone's interested in the comparison, some "spot the differences" below)

agnott
Engineer
Engineer

Post by agnott »

They look awesome!

Your train set has got me hooked on openttd again, so thanks! :D :D
Electricfox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Electricfox »

Fantastic stuff, there is a definite lack of 2x zoom stations out there so this will help fill that hole.
PEPSprinterPacer
Engineer
Engineer

Timberwolf's UK train station!

Return to “Graphics Development”