Timberwolf's UK.... trains?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Timberwolf's UK.... trains?

Post by audigex »

Fairyfloss wrote: 23 Jun 2021 20:29 I really don't know if this can be considered a 'bug' or if it's just nitpicking at this point, but I wanted to let you know of this in case it's the former.

Depending on the direction of travel, plenty of vehicles have their alignment different compared to other directions.

trenswap.gif

Also, if you ever add more trains, have you considered adding a Garratt of some kind?
Yeah that's definitely a bug, in the view with the brighter warning panel the unit is hovering above the track
Jon
Limyx826
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Limyx826 »

Timberwolf sir. Is there a list of introduction dates for your vehicles and track sets? Thanks.
I am Limyx826.
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

Firstly, thanks for this wonderful set :bow:

A couple of observations from playing a long MP game however (1750 to 2050)

Firstly, it would help a lot to have some kind of visual indicator for the track type each locomotive will operate on - whether it be an Icon next to the locomotive in the list (as several other train sets use) or something in the vehicle description (such as UKRS2's colour coded track type text in the description) or ideally both. This would be particularly useful when auto-replacing engines as the available vehicles often show options from other track types - even gauges - and it became a frustration trying to work out what could upgrade to what when running a mix of electric, standard and narrow gauge trains across the network

The cost of signal maintenance is BRUTAL - often costing significantly more than the total amount of track on the network. Resulting in players used to building with large volumes of complex signalling easily becoming bankrupt. Especially early game not long after railway first appears or when using plateway where, to have efficient (though none-historically-accurate), you really need to be running a signal every other tile to fit all the tiny 1-2 tile trains on. Can cost modifiers be implemented or a wider review of infrastructure maintenance costs be done to balance the early game

And finally, a zero maintenance "lifted" track type for each gauge would be extremely welcome - In dynamic games it's common, especially with the aforementioned maintenance cost issues, to have to remove parts of the network when industries close or become none-viable only to want to re-open them later. Currently I use the ancient lifted and planning tracks GRF set alongside yours but they lack lifted track versions of the NG and Electric track types and only offer one, brown, ballast colour

Much appreciated and looking forward to future updates to this set - whatever they may be :)
304 001
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 304 001 »

Taschi wrote: 23 Jun 2021 20:51
Fairyfloss wrote: 23 Jun 2021 20:29 trenswap.gif
I know this is off-topic but it looks like it's in an extremely enjoyable rave.
Looks more like epilepsy to me.
dasy2k1
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dasy2k1 »

Not trying to hijack the trains thread but i cant find the one for the stations....
is there a chance of adding overbridge sections for one sided platforms that work with the existing Stairs sprites?

I would love to be able to have a 2 track station with outside platforms with a footbridge between them
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

Good graphics. But the main problem is that there is no high-speed trains carrying mails. Could you add an option that let those high-speed trains refit to mails? After all mails have the same position as passengers.
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
the_thomas_fan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by the_thomas_fan »

If it isn't that much trouble,could you add the LB&SCR E2? Preferably the second wave with extended side tanks,could use a grf with the E2 tank engine
hi
I like thomas, tf2 and some other stuff
I play openttd and locomotion
And letting in gen z like me into games like this shouldn't happen because boy oh boy will we mess it up
koalorka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by koalorka »

Fantastic set. Probably one of the best enthusiast trainsets, and I'm still discovering and tinkering the road and track graphics.
So far, only thing I would like to see is the option of real liveries, instead of running the company colours. Unless there's a setting for historical train liveries that I missed?
alc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by alc »

Excellent set! Thanks for creating it.

I search on this thread and in your GitHub but coudn' find the answer.
For the distance bonus or penalty, is this distance fix? How much is it? Is this distance related to the map size, for instance? how it is calculated? Or is related with the transit time?

I saw your videos in YT playing with your set starting in 1815. Fanny names for the horses...

Thanks
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

In technical terms, the bonus/malus for long distance travel is done by affecting how quickly the cargo "ages" using in-game calculations. In (Open)TTD you are paid less per unit per tile of distance the longer you take to deliver a cargo, which is shown from "Cargo Payment Rates".

A 20% bonus effectively gives you 20% more time to deliver the cargo for the same payment rate, so e.g. if the standard payment decays to half after 100 days, with the bonus it won't decay to half until 120 days.

In practice this means you can take passengers in express carriages further, whereas you can't go as far with metro/suburban carriages. The effect is made more extreme by the speed differences of those services, because it's typically "120 days at high speed" vs. "80 days at low speed". Of course, you also have capacity considerations which make it more worthwhile to use a different type...
Oshawotta737
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Oshawotta737 »

Timberwolf wrote: 15 May 2023 14:50 In technical terms, the bonus/malus for long distance travel is done by affecting how quickly the cargo "ages" using in-game calculations. In (Open)TTD you are paid less per unit per tile of distance the longer you take to deliver a cargo, which is shown from "Cargo Payment Rates".

A 20% bonus effectively gives you 20% more time to deliver the cargo for the same payment rate, so e.g. if the standard payment decays to half after 100 days, with the bonus it won't decay to half until 120 days.

In practice this means you can take passengers in express carriages further, whereas you can't go as far with metro/suburban carriages. The effect is made more extreme by the speed differences of those services, because it's typically "120 days at high speed" vs. "80 days at low speed". Of course, you also have capacity considerations which make it more worthwhile to use a different type...
Hi timberlwolf,
A completely different topic but is there a way I can make the Timberwolf Stations not in 32bpp?
Albion2000
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Albion2000 »

Hi All!

Not sure if this is a bug per say or been picked up on before, but it seems that the Eurostar Class 373 sets are horrendously underpowered? When using realistic acceleration they struggle to get to 125.

As it is in the image below, it seems to only have 4664hp, which seems to be (atleast on wikipedia) its power running over 3rd rail. I guess that makes sense in terms of why it wouldnt be able to make full speed, but its just weird that its happening under OHLE.

Would this be something that could be fixed? Or is it just a limitation? I absolutely love this pack but its pretty much ruling out using these lads for high speed stuff.
Sorry for posting to this topic which seems to be super quiet! I have no idea if this is still under active developement or anything right now.
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

It's actually a trackset problem - probably not defining labels in the way my sets expect, which follow the standardised scheme (particularly the bit about always working with the built-in ELRL tag!). The power mechanic works as expected using Timberwolf's Tracks, just tested using current BaNaNaS versions.

Unfortunately I got burnt trying to solve this sort of thing for roadtypes, where there was at least one set where I'd spent hours tracking down exactly what labels it used, correctly handled the various compatibility permutations, then the next release of the offending set moved all their labels around and broke it again. So whichever trackset that is, for the Eurostar and other dual-voltage AC vehicles to work as expected, it will need to define its catenary to be compatible with ELRL.
Brickblock1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Brickblock1 »

Timberwolf wrote: 19 Aug 2023 12:00 It's actually a trackset problem - probably not defining labels in the way my sets expect, which follow the standardised scheme (particularly the bit about always working with the built-in ELRL tag!). The power mechanic works as expected using Timberwolf's Tracks, just tested using current BaNaNaS versions.

Unfortunately I got burnt trying to solve this sort of thing for roadtypes, where there was at least one set where I'd spent hours tracking down exactly what labels it used, correctly handled the various compatibility permutations, then the next release of the offending set moved all their labels around and broke it again. So whichever trackset that is, for the Eurostar and other dual-voltage AC vehicles to work as expected, it will need to define its catenary to be compatible with ELRL.
This isn't a problem with how the trackset has implemented the standard (SUKTS does infact have ELRL) but instead that your set only looks the see if it is on ELRL this works in vanilla and when the trackset only has one electrified type of track. You have a few options if you want your set to work with tracksets that provide multible different electric tracks the simplest solution is to simply check if the track has catenary or not this has the drawback of not working if your trains are set to differenciate between different voltages in the overhead lines but that can be solved with:

Code: Select all

railtype_available("SAAA") ? tile_powers_railtype("SAAA") : (tile_powers_railtype("SAAE") || tile_powers_railtype("ELRL"))
The check for SAAE isn't really neccesary but it makes more sense when you have to also support 3RDR on top of SAA3.
belgi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by belgi »

Albion2000 wrote: 08 Aug 2023 19:12 Hi All!

Not sure if this is a bug per say or been picked up on before, but it seems that the Eurostar Class 373 sets are horrendously underpowered? When using realistic acceleration they struggle to get to 125.

As it is in the image below, it seems to only have 4664hp, which seems to be (atleast on wikipedia) its power running over 3rd rail. I guess that makes sense in terms of why it wouldnt be able to make full speed, but its just weird that its happening under OHLE.

Would this be something that could be fixed? Or is it just a limitation? I absolutely love this pack but its pretty much ruling out using these lads for high speed stuff.
Sorry for posting to this topic which seems to be super quiet! I have no idea if this is still under active developement or anything right now.
Hello!
I tried it with Timberwolf DualPower 25kV AC/ 750V DC rails, but also others, and it works just fine ;-)
But how come the train has so many cars? Even if I combine two sets, I don't have as many cars as you.

Have a nice day
GEC Alsthom Class 373 Eurostar
GEC Alsthom Class 373 Eurostar
2023-08-19_Timberwolf_Eurostar_373_001.jpg (276.6 KiB) Viewed 1495 times
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

There's a parameter for length of multiple units, I think by default it's 6 tiles as a "realistic" Eurostar is loooong.

That tile_powers_railtype stuff is new since the set was created. Maybe if I get a free bit of time and feel like working on it I'll update, assuming it won't result in too many complaints about dropping 1.10 compatibility.
belgi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by belgi »

Timberwolf wrote: 19 Aug 2023 21:53 There's a parameter for length of multiple units, I think by default it's 6 tiles as a "realistic" Eurostar is loooong.

That tile_powers_railtype stuff is new since the set was created. Maybe if I get a free bit of time and feel like working on it I'll update, assuming it won't result in too many complaints about dropping 1.10 compatibility.
I see!
Thanks for the advice, I already found it and tried it ;-)
And it still works for me. And even on CZTR rails (although the rails probably don't affect the functionality...)

I wish you a nice day
2023-08-19_Timberwolf_Eurostar_373_002
2023-08-19_Timberwolf_Eurostar_373_002
2023-08-19_Timberwolf_Eurostar_373_002.jpg (145.28 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Power detection should be behaving as of 1.3.16. I also added a couple of new vehicles across the main and community sets.
Three60mania
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Three60mania »

Found a strange bug affecting almost all tender engines, theres a space between the loco and tender and then an even bigger space between the tender and the rolling stock.
InvisibleWagonsBug.png
(404.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Albion2000
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Albion2000 »

Timberwolf wrote: 20 Aug 2023 17:41 Power detection should be behaving as of 1.3.16. I also added a couple of new vehicles across the main and community sets.
Absolutely legendary, thank you very much! This has always been my favorite set, awesome that it will be compatible with even more track types! Really appreciate the work <3

Also, the new 777 looks dope, is this the first battery vehicle in the pack?
Last edited by Albion2000 on 22 Aug 2023 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Graphics Development”